Notices

whats the difference?

Old 05-22-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

whats the difference?

Hi All,

I hope you all dont find this a stupid question but, I would really like to know, I my self dont drink so I really dont know. Im just married to a A..Does it make a difference on what you drink? If you are mainly a beer drinker is it less tramatic on your body than hard liq? or wine? I have always been told alcohol is alcohol. but it seems like hard liq drinkers tend it show more abuse on their bodies than beer drinkers,even tho beer drinkers might even drink more than them,
Thanks
Debbie
Old 05-22-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Well IMHO an Alcoholic is an Alcohloic. It doesn't really matter much what the drink of choice is. I do know though that beer is a lot lower in the alcohol content than hard liquer and then wine etc. Beer I think is like 5 or 6 % per 12 oz. or so and wine is about 12% per serving of about 6 oz. give or take. Hard stuff I know nothing about, never touched it myself. Not matter how you cut it though, abuse is abuse. Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others will help you with more info than I have to offer as well.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

IMO and experience, i've found that hard liquor is harsher because when it is consumed it goes down the throat and sits in the stomach waiting to be absorbed. (i drank cheap vodka) And Ooooooooo boy can it be hard on the esophagus!

But.....

if the alcoholic drinks enough beer to equal the effects of hard liquor in the end.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Debbie
I'm Rena', and I'm an alcoholic.
Like some of the others have said, an alcoholic is an alcoholic no matter what you drink. But I do think the hard liquor does go harder on your body, if you consume very much of it. I know for me it always made me sicker, and I got drunk quicker, and I went into blackouts much faster when I drink it. It always effected me in a much worse way then, when I just drink beer. Most hard liquor is about 86 proof, and thats much stronger then beer or wine.
I just know, since I'v quit drinking any kind of alcohol I feel 100% better, thanks to my higher power.
Love, Rena'
Old 05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, I think that in moderation, thay say that stuff like wine or dark beers are better for you. But for alcoholics, who are powerless and consume an excess, it doesn't much matter.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to hear people say "all things in moderation" .. a creature of extreme it's all or nothing for me...
Old 05-22-2004, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doug

For many years I BS'd my way into thinking I was not an alcoholic because I only drank beer, and not the other stuff.

I ended up in the same place as folks who only drank the other stuff.

So it seems to me the only difference would be the spelling.

I also spent alot of time doing only chemical drugs, to prove beyond a doubt, I was not an alkie.

Old 05-22-2004, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, all thanks so much for all the info, once he starts drinking he doesnt stop until hes drunk,even tho his eyes are a kind of yellow color,unless you saw him out you wouldnt even think he drinks, I guess hes a functional alcoholic, but when he drinks he looks 20yrs older, you can see his face ,belly and legs start to blow up from water retention, his eyes will swell,and he looks like crap. where he use to be able to "hang" for 6+ hours now after 3-4 hes toast and ready to go home, its really hard to see him like this. I couldnt even begin to understand the pain all of you have gone threw. I take my hat off to all of you and keep you in my prayers , You have done something only some can dream about and you all deserve a great big Hug. Thanks a bunch
Hugs Debbie
Old 05-24-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to agree with gooch and doug...

I go to extreme, beer was never enuff for me, But I tried to drink fancy beer. I progressed to vodka eventually, stopping along the way at wine, tequila, malt drinks, etc...each time thinking Im not really an alcoholic if I only drink this stuff....

Mike