Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What was the weirdest thing your body did when you finally quit ?

Notices

What was the weirdest thing your body did when you finally quit ?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Itchiness...lasted awhile. Glad it's gone and I'll never have to experience it or any of the newly sober stuff again.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It thanked me, profoundly.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
now's the time

Lots of changes, for sure.

The weirdest has been the getting in shape. I started exercising daily a month after I quit, and more and more as I enjoyed it and the weather got nicer. I was always pretty active so I didn't have too much extra weight, just not well distributed what I did have.

I got more muscly, but I didn't get much leaner... even through all that exercise...

Until the last month or so.

Now every time I see someone I haven't seen in a week or two they say I look skinnier.

It's like my body juuust started to trust me that this is for real and it can stop bracing for the next attack. Or that's how I think of it, anyway.

It's pretty fun because now I get to see all these new muscles I've built! But it's totally weird as well. Why now?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sweat much less, and less horrid feeling.

Lost loads of weight

Liver eventually repaired itself and stopped aching all the time

Body odour completely different, to the point where people have commented

Hair and nails grow faster and thicker

Sleep much better (that took a while)

Dont get diarrhoea anymore - bowels are way, way more under control

Eyes are white again, not yellow

I am basically not sick anymore.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

All my "age related" physical ailments went away...well, except those 40 year old eyes.

Also, I stopped farting at the dinner table so much. In fact, my manners improved all around.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm with Tomsteve, it healed itself. I was bruising VERY easily, my hair was falling out in chunks, my face was swollen. I just got a physical at nine months and all is normal on the liver front. I was really scared.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What was the weirdest thing your body did when you finally quit?

The "weirdest" (unexpected to me) thing my body did was itching. I kept wooden rulers everywhere, and used them as back/side scratchers. Then, the itchiness went away, but not until I had scratched myself bloody and raw.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Alphaomega....I want to know what the doozie is. I'm curious.

I'm only on day 2 of a two-week taper down before I totally quit for 30 days. That's the plan anyway. However, because I stuck with wine instead of my usual wheelbarrow full of rum, I didn't throw up this morning.

It sounds pathetic, but that's actually good for me. I've been waking up with horrible nausea every morning lately. I'd either throw up naturally or i'd force myself just for some relief. My body is screaming for a break from poison. So, no puking today. yay.

now that I've grossed everyone out, have a nice day!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by kcvalentine View Post
For the first two weeks after I quit drinking I had involuntary muscle spasms when I tried to sleep. They would happen about every thirty seconds and last all night long. Totally freaked me out because I was afraid they might lead to seizures (they didn't). It also took about a year to be able to fall asleep easily. But now that I'm almost two years into my recovery I'm feeling great.

I had that for about a year and it did lead to seizures, but that was because I was continuing to drink heavily.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

stress bumps on my palms and inside of my fingers.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh Dolores - how awful for you. I'm so sad that you are experiencing such terrible symptoms.

I promise, it does and will get better. Just keep your plan as the most important thing in your existence.

Well, since you are being so beautifully honest, I'll come clean.

I'm having the most awful, putrid, rotten smells, ahem, coming out of me. Have you ever smelled that old person breath that smells like, I don't even know how to describe it. But now I know that particular smell is related to a clogged up liver that is starting to release. And, suddenly, my deodorant seems to have stopped working...and I'm breaking out like a teenager.

I'm so SO very gross right now.

But, I'm healing.

So bring it body !
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Alphaomega I had that as well. I smelt like raw sewage. But it was that or booze. I'v just stunk all around for the past 3 years.
One really strange thing that happened to me was the side of one of my feet started hurting really bad. I thought maybe its hurt for the past few years and I was just so drunk I didnt notice. It hurt the point I could not even walk on it. X-rays (nothing) I even thought I had gout and Nope. I had a full physical and LFT (perfectly healthy), nope, nothing.
I am very glad that went away. It is still very mysterious to me and the Podiatrist I was seeing.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My "stenchyness" went away, and breath is much better says the wife, skin and eyes clearer, losing weight, but have a sweet tooth which I never had before.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Almost 4 months sober...

Itchiness - check (this is gone)
Cold all the time - check (this is gone)
Sweet tooth (CHOCOLATE) - check (this has calmed down)
Raging thirst - check (this is gone mostly, I still get thirsty from time to time)
Going pee all the time (probably all that water) - check (this is gone)
Puffy red face gone - check
Lost weight (21 pounds) - check
Ache, pains and feeling old, gone - check
fatigue - check (gone now)

The number one thing that was my most embarrassing was I was having bladder control issues. I must have ran to pee 20 times a day but not because I had to. I never went much, probably dehydrated, but any cough I would leak a little so I ran to the restroom often so I wold avoid any large leaks. It was very upsetting. This is gone! I have no issues now at all. I am sure the weight loss helped as well but I would not have lost the weight if I had not stopped drinking.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The room went spinning

On the fourth day the room went spinning. I felt okay day 1 through three, but on the fourth day, I knew this was not going to be that easy. That is when I went looking and found this site. It was weird.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was having a drinking dreams all the time when I first got sober. But they have been less and less as I've gotten further along.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This guy has a funny way of putting it
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking | Cracked.com
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My first few days were awful. My head wwent crazy.

I couldnt remember what a sheep looked like. I struggled to remember what day it was and what shift i was on.

On day 8 now and im stil struggling but not as bad and yes i can now remember what a sheep looks like lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I sweat a lot less than I did when I was drinking.

I'm very jealous of everyone who lost weight when they stopped! I assumed I would naturally lose a few pounds (I was drinking 15-20 oz. vodka a day - that's a lot of calories!), but I've in fact gained about 10 lbs. over the past 4 sober months. *sigh*
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My skin broke out worse than it had in years. It only lasted a month or so and 2.5 years later my skin looks better than ever, but it was very strange that it happened.