Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Weirdest/strangest withdrawal symptoms you've experienced

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was just wondering what are the strangest withdrawal symptoms you've experienced, I'm a huge Hypochondriac and I sometimes imagine symptoms and link them up. I have a worry about my lungs and my breathing, I've recently had all the checks and tests done and they were fine, also my heart was fine. But they still feel weird, they feel weak and 'light' and I'm not getting a full satisfying structured breath, me being a Hypochondriac, I've linked this to alcohol, so theres my weird symptom, whats yours? I'm 20 and I have been a beer drinking alky for 2 years, I have suffered extreme anxiety and panic attacks since the age of 12, which is why I turned to drink to calm me down and 'self-medicate' even before the age of 12 I can remember being anxious and panicky, but progressively got worse as my life went on. I had nearly a month sober (with the aid of Chlordiazepoxide/Librium) and started drinking again the other day as the panic was extreme and I was frantic and manic. Idk what to do. I am terrified
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Panic attacks are what got me to quit. I guess I always had bad anxiety and drank to self medicate that worked just fine for me for years. Aside from the typical problems of being an alcoholic. But when i got horrible panic attacks I new it had to go. I'm 2 years sober and I dont have panic attacks really anymore but I do get something That i think is a mild form of one where I sort of invent problems and start to worry about them.

I thought my lungs where filling with blood once. and latly I'm wondering if my blood sugar is dropping and this calls great worry If this is real or not I dont know. I'm going to find out since I go ta glucose tester But i'm scared to ***** my own dang finger *sigh*

The wierdest symptom was the electrical shock feelins in my spine and neck and brain. and I had anxiety so bad it felt like electrical current running down my veins and out my finger tips and tips of my toes. It was aweful and it never every would stop!. Finally it died down it too months however it was unbearable. During that time frame I wrote down what I felt like so that if it ever went away or if someone found me dead they'd know what was going on. Now I go back and read that and I'm glad I wrote it down because it helps remind me that I dont ever wanna go back to that again. I was in a pretty dark place.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

How can our recounting the weirdest, strangest withdrawal symptoms do anything but trigger your hypochondria.

You've been checked. You're fine. Relax. Whatever drinking did to me got better when I quit. It will be the same for you...when you quit.

Get back on the sober bus.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree this probably can't help but mine was hearing and seeing things on my plant floor detoxing towards the end of my 12hr nights every night. It's bad to hallucinate when you get paid to diagnose listen, look smell equipment.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been tapering off of the drug Lyrica, and it took from January until July to completely stop. It's been the worst experience of my life. Trying to stop cold turkey was impossible, because I was dead sick for weeks when I tried, with no let up. Withdrawal feels like a terrible flu, with horrible exhaustion, sweating, chills, stabbing stomach pain, nausea, headache...it sucked. I've been off them for a little over three weeks, and still have the sweating and chills, with bad nightmares thrown in. And I was told that these were not addictive and had no noticeable withdrawal symptoms. Had I done research like I should have, I would have found hundreds of posts from people in agony from this drug.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

drinking is not a good idea if you have health issues . i ended up with breathing problems (fluid on the lungs), fatty liver (prelude to chirrosis), jaundice, damage to nerves in my hands and legs, swollen abdomen, kidney problems...... the list goes on. This was in addition to mental health issues and what i call spiritual sickness. i quit drinking and asked for help, all that i could get. Today i am well. Wonder why i stopped................. x
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Probably sleep paralysis/ auditory hallucinations when waking up. I was majorly sleep deprived after my bender and on day 2 I managed to get a couple hours sleep in the afternoon. When waking or still half asleep I heard a song I'd been listening to playing really loudly. As I regained wakefulness/consciousness the hallucination seemed like part of the dream but at the time it was very vivid and real sounding. I have experienced the same thing once since at three months sober. Pretty weird.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl. You were using alcohol to deal with Panic Attacks because you have Aspergers? I don't see how recounting our stories of hallucinations would be helpful to you.

You need to speak to your doctor about other ways to deal with panic Attacks.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Matt M

I can't remember if mine was during withdrawal as such, it was more when I hadn't drank for a few hours and always at night.
Everytime I laid down and shut my eyes I'd have images just flashing in front of me, the strangest images you can imagine with no relation to each other, just the weirdest things.
My heart would race and my leg/arm would often spasm and I'd have to switch on the lights and sit up all night.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe I was withdrawing from alcohol for quite a long time. The first weird feeling I had was a few months after I stopped drinking. I felt, for a moment, not so bleak and crap and sad. It was a very, very strange feeling. I held onto that feeling because my life depended on it. And soon, that feeling became the norm. That feeling was me in real life.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Anxious - I have read your posts and see so much of myself in you. When I was much younger, in my 20's, I was a not hot mess. I have a few suggestions for you because I have been and done and bought the t-shirt and wore it the F out.

- Start reading about faith and spirituality. I don't care which "religion" you chose. You have to start having more faith in the life process and this happens through the knowledge that we are all here for a reason. Let me know if you choose something Christian based and I can steer you towards some good food for thought. I am schooled in the other religions as well and find that an amalgam of most comprise my current belief system. But, you gotta start having some FAITH. Faith that it's all going to be ok.

STOP DRINKING. That is the single largest contributor to your anxiety. I promise this and I can make these type of across the board statements because I have a hell of a lot of experience. Like 30 years. I wish to God somebody would have bopped me in the head and said ALCOHOL IS THE SINGLE LARGEST CONTRIBUTOR TO YOUR ANXIETY.. PERIOD.

Start taking Magnesium citrate. There is a product called CALM that has been one the greatest finds I have. We as a society are profoundly deficient in magnesium and that is responsible for over 200 bodily processes. When I started taking it, my palpitations stopped. Almost literally immediately. It also helped with my globus (swallowing anxiety) instantly as well. But it has to be magnesium CITRATE. The rest are not absorbed by the body.

Take sea salt baths. Buy a large box and use about a third of it per bath . It removes negative and toxins.

Find a place where you can take a far infrared sauna. A lot of spas have them. They are detox to the nth degree.

Start meditating. Every day. As soon as you wake up and before bed. Doesn't matter where you do guided, self guided, laying down, sitting in a chair, lotus, etc. You have to learn how to control your thoughts. Nothing I ever took in pill form or drank ever affected my anxiety like meditation. Twice and day, 15 mins per time. Atleast. Make this a priority and don't make any excuses.

Drink lemon water. Or cucumber water throughout the day.

Garden, paint, draw, pet a dog, lay in the grass, stand barefoot in the grass and ground yourself to the earth. You belong here. You were given this life to live.

You either get busy living or get busy dying.

Haven't you died enough ?

blessings.