Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you get jealous of people who can drink normally?

Notices

Do you get jealous of people who can drink normally?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

About the only context in which I can imagine getting jealous is at a wedding reception. They are awkward, boring, and long. I haven't faced that challenge yet. If I do have to go to one, I guess that I will try to leave as soon as its socially acceptable.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
JJB

I agree Groundhog day, or on any other boring family gathering. Think I will stay away from them in future for health reasons.
The people I am seriously jealous of is the people who manage to stay sober.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I feel sorry for them.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hell yeah, constantly jealous but know I can't drink normally which is the main thing
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I do get jealous sometimes, but then I can't imagine myself not being an alcoholic. So I've accepted it more recently..
Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Minx

Acceptance, and surrender, the key to recovery , who cares what anybody else can or cannot drink, let's just remember we are mentally and bodily different from others!!!!!

Good luck
Old 07-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I do, at times. But most times I can look at those in the group who have been over-served and look like fools and I can smile to myself
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I do feel jealous of those who can drink "normally". I've gone nearly 5 years now without a drink, but am now in a new relationship with someone who drinks very infrequently - however he is now out drinking with a friend and I feel so jealous and hurt, almost like he is "cheating on me"... and these feelings are blindsiding me and confusing me. I appreciate the honesty of people here and reading about the reminders of what drinking DOES to me, helps me remember that I cannot drink "normally" and all drinking will do is bring me pain. Just not sure how to deal with my jealousy of my boyfriend drinking, so hoping to learn more about how to deal with this.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Dismember

I don't anymore. Most of my closest friends drink and when we get together there may be alcohol present (another friend in our group is sober as well.) I deal with it by realizing that I'm just grateful for their companionship, laughter and complete understanding that I don't drink. I realize that even for them alcohol is just a supplement, and not the primary reason for getting together to socialize. I know that it's my disease that puts such a big emphasis on the alcohol itself.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

We make alochol bigger than it is -imo
Old 08-21-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am bumping up this thread. I had googled "sometimes I am jealous that you don't drink alcohol" and this came up. I have quit on and off, and although this thread is not entirely to that point, it's topic was about being jealous of people who drink "normally", and I think a lot of good responses were in here. I wonder if there really is a normal way of drinking? Anyway, I may start a thread about the issue the topic/issue I had just googled before finding this too.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Drinking "normally" is a foreign concept to me, so I'd be getting jealous over something I don't even understand. How does one only drink only 1 or 2 and not obsess over having 10 more?
Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Nooooo. Who wants to drink normally? What is the fun in that. If I can not get wasted I'd rather not drink at all. Which is exactly what I am doing now.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

No. I agree with what a few people on the first page said. I don't see the point in thinking about a decision that was already made for me a long time ago (not being able to drink normally, ever).
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't feel special or gifted, if they did they'd be on the abnormal spectrum. Why would I be any more jealous of someone who can drink 1 or 2 on rare occasions and not think about it, than they would be of me who drinks 0 on all occasions without thinking about it? We're basically the same, the difference might be a few drinks a week or month.

That sort of thinking is total addict voice. If we're thinking this way, we're romanticizing abnormal use of alcohol as "normal", and not remembering all the excellent reasons why we don't drink at all anymore.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I don't get jealous but admit I am interested in why alcohol hits them so much differently than it does me. Variations in peeps I guess.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Nope, never.

I see people having fun and I think a few things- "glad they are having a good time!" "hope it's always ok for them to drink" and the like. I don't want anyone to have to suffer like I have; I do wish every alcoholic the peculiar gift of sobriety and all its trimmings. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Drinking and alcohol register with me - it's everywhere and I also work in a restaurant, so duh- but it's like I'm a third party observer now, and that's totally cool. My third eye takes everything in and processes it, and drinking and alcohol are just "things" going on.

There is so much more to see and feel being sober. If someone who's drinking bugs me, I move away or leave the situation. I don't spend time with big drinkers; I am perfectly fine being around my friends who are healthy and normal drinkers. Why shouldn't they have a martini and one glass of red wine when we have a nice steak dinner? Go for it.

It's not exactly that I ignore alcohol...it's just that, truly, the obsession has been removed and it's just another a,b,c in the infinite number of things in this world. And, truthfully? Drunk people should be jealous of MY life. Because it's pretty d*mn awesome. I work really hard for a beautiful, sober life and living with JOY is a gift I think a lot of people (alcoholics or not) would be amazed at having.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Does anyone really drink normally ??
I'd say yes. I know many, many people who have 0-5 drinks a week or a month.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

No offense meant at all toward the OP...

This is a perennial question that seems to pop up on SR that I tend to avoid. I just don't like the question. Why? It's not the right question. What I mean by that is, first of all, I would never be jealous of the person drinking. I'd be upset that I couldn't drink, if I were going to get upset at all.

But I can no longer get upset that I can't drink. And that is because I can drink. Anytime I choose to, I can drink. So nothing is being taken from me. I'm not losing out. I'm not deprived.

Mainly, I don't tend to get upset any longer because I know that 90% of the population drinks moderately (or so I've read, the stats, etc.) and those people could give a rip if they couldn't get their hands on a glass of wine on any particular day. It wouldn't upset a moderate or 'normal' drinker if they weren't able to drink for any number of reasons. The only people upset they can't drink are alcoholics. We're the only ones who 'need' to drink.

So when I drive by that cozy little bar with the outdoor tables and chairs and twinkling lights and the people all huddled together chatting, eating, and drinking, I know that what drives me to 'miss' that kind of thing is one thing ... wine. Many glasses of wine. As many as I can get down my throat. And that's not a pleasant thing. That's addiction.

No, I'm not jealous. And I no longer drink. That part of my life is over. There are many other things I can devote my time and life's purpose to pursue.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
When you see people enjoying drinks in the park on a sunny day do you feel like you're missing out? Or having to say no to certain events - stag dos, parties etc.

Does it annoy you that you have this 'desease' of alcoholism?

How do you cope with these feelings?
Certainly does. Something simple like just enjoying a beer after work or a glass of wine with dinner is especially something I miss.