Notices

My quitting log.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skydawg View Post
I gotta say I am slightly shocked and disappointed. I truly get that a lot of us hit rock bottom or are in such denial that full submission of powerlessness to any theory or support group or spirituality is needed to heal the "disease". Only I don't think that's the case for everyone or me. I have an addiction to alcohol because I flooded my bloodstream for 20+ years with enough for several people. Call me dumb but If you stabilize the body slowly, recalibrate the thought process then make powerful mature decisions you can stop without being submissive to anything. I'm an adult, I made bad choices that led to a powerful addiction. I now make good choices that slowly is leading to recovery for me. I was excited this morning to get up walk the dog, shower and go to work with no hangover, or shakes, or cravings and clear white eyes for a change. I have had a great day and plan on many more as I wish for all of us in early recovery.

I am going to take an afternoon and really consider if this forum is where I belong because I obviously have different thoughts than most and I need support and want to offer the same.

best of luck

Don't leave. This place is awesome. I apologize if I offended you.

All I was trying to say was, at least for me, it was easy to "think about quitting" and "have an awesome future without alcohol when I KNEW that I could still be drinking. "I can get thru today, because I can drink tomorrow." The real "hard" part comes in when you accept the fact that you can never, ever drink again." At least this is what I have learned over the years and from recovery groups and forums.

Best of luck and please do stick around
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Weaver,
I realized you may have taken my rant at you. That isn't the case and that's why I checked in one more time in hopes you had posted. That wasn't meant for you at all and I appreciate the reply. You seem sincere in your support. I really just need to decide if I can be honest and open with my experience and ideas because the general opinion seems to be that we are all powerless and have a disease. I know that's the most common theme and it has helped thousands of folks survive and eventually get well. My disappointment is honestly in my preconceived notion in that if any group would be open minded and supportive of all comers and all ideas it would be a group of folks who have made bad decision after bad decision and then came to a group setting to vent and occupy time and seek unconditional support. I think it is important for all to share honest unique events so others who feel similarly can find hope. I'm sure I'm a bit defensive as we all can be but the idea that my method is an excuse not to stop is false.
I have just a good a chance stopping and unfortunately relapsing as the rest of the alcoholics in this world. I think the secular method is better for my attitude there is just a lot less activity there so I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Best of luck to you in healing.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Skydawg, I also tried the tapering method - it worked for me. My drink of choice was Jim Beam. I normally drank a pint+ a day (or at least 5-6 days a week) mixed with diet coke - did it for several years. I knew I finally needed to quit. I know when I set my mind to something, I can do it. So, to try and avoid any complications from quitting cold turkey, I decided to set a two-week taper schedule for myself. The first two days, I stopped at a pint - no more. The rest of that week, I cut it to a half-pint a day. The following week, the first four days I drank a 100ml shot bottle. The last three I had one 'airplane bottle' a day. After that, no more. And it's worked.

The obvious key to this method is you have to have the will power to stop at your pre-determined daily amount. If you want it bad enough, you can do this. Always keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel. Once you reach the finish line, never look back. You have a sober future ahead of you!

That is my story and it worked for me. It may not be for everyone. I do believe each person's internal makeup and metabolism plays a huge role on how quitting such a bad habit impacts you. If there is any doubt, obviously a person should seek professional medical care.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Matt M

I gotta say I am slightly shocked and disappointed. I truly get that a lot of us hit rock bottom or are in such denial that full submission of powerlessness to any theory or support group or spirituality is needed to heal the "disease". Only I don't think that's the case for everyone or me. I have an addiction to alcohol because I flooded my bloodstream for 20+ years with enough for several people. Call me dumb but If you stabilize the body slowly, recalibrate the thought process then make powerful mature decisions you can stop without being submissive to anything. I'm an adult, I made bad choices that led to a powerful addiction. I now make good choices that slowly is leading to recovery for me. I was excited this morning to get up walk the dog, shower and go to work with no hangover, or shakes, or cravings and clear white eyes for a change. I have had a great day and plan on many more as I wish for all of us in early recovery.

I am going to take an afternoon and really consider if this forum is where I belong because I obviously have different thoughts than most and I need support and want to offer the same.

best of luck

Well as I said, doctors advise tapering so it's not a bad thing like many on here make it out to be.

It's easy to say to someone 'go and get medical help' but for a lot of people that really isn't an easy thing to do.
People are going to have success in different ways.
I know I'm not going to have success with someone bleating on at me about God for example, because i'm an athiest and I don't respect religion at all, so if I went to a group and that happened I'd either be up and out of the room straight away or end up arguing with someone.

Either way you need to find out what works for you and it may take a few goes.
Tapering didn't work for me, I'm now at the point where I've decided (or am aiming) to not drink again.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lyn and Matt. Thank you both.

I just plain hate being sick and every time I stopped cold turkey I felt like I had the flu or worse. Figured there had to be a better way and by fate stumbled into the taper method. Thank goodness it has worked so far.

My refrain from AA wasn't a complete disdain for religion although I detest others beliefs being forced on me. The big thing I walked away from my 1 and only AA meeting was the overwhelming sense of being forced to admit that I was powerless over a glass of alcohol. REALLY- Nope not me, I'm a grown up human and no way a glass of poison can overcome my willpower once the physical sickness is out of the equation.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Lyn and Matt. Thank you both.

I just plain hate being sick and every time I stopped cold turkey I felt like I had the flu or worse. Figured there had to be a better way and by fate stumbled into the taper method. Thank goodness it has worked so far.

My refrain from AA wasn't a complete disdain for religion although I detest others beliefs being forced on me. The big thing I walked away from my 1 and only AA meeting was the overwhelming sense of being forced to admit that I was powerless over a glass of alcohol. REALLY- Nope not me, I'm a grown up human and no way a glass of poison can overcome my willpower once the physical sickness is out of the equation.
What is the longest you have been sober?

How is the tapering plan going?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
What is the longest you have been sober?

How is the tapering plan going?
The longest I've been sober in my 20+ yr drinking career was 3-4 years ago when I committed to doing the p90x regimen. About 2 weeks into it I got really excited and stopped drinking for the remainder of the 90 days. So 70-75 days I'd say. Of course when I was finished I couldn't not celebrate with a cook out and cold beers right. As for during the tapering I've had a two day spell last week and am on day 3 today if I make it and I see no reason I won't as I'm typing this. The thing I noticed about the taper was after the first week of committing to it not once have I drank the full seven day allotment nor have I chosen to exceed my daily limit. There has been a day or two each week where I have stopped a drink or two short of my allotment. Looking back I think mentally I tricked myself into looking at it as I can't have enough to get drunk anymore so what's the point in opening the next one. Reading helps for me. It passes time, educates you to some extent and it makes me sleepy. To my knowledge I've never drank in my sleep but.....
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The longest I've been sober in my 20+ yr drinking career was 3-4 years ago when I committed to doing the p90x regimen. About 2 weeks into it I got really excited and stopped drinking for the remainder of the 90 days. So 70-75 days I'd say. Of course when I was finished I couldn't not celebrate with a cook out and cold beers right. As for during the tapering I've had a two day spell last week and am on day 3 today if I make it and I see no reason I won't as I'm typing this. The thing I noticed about the taper was after the first week of committing to it not once have I drank the full seven day allotment nor have I chosen to exceed my daily limit. There has been a day or two each week where I have stopped a drink or two short of my allotment. Looking back I think mentally I tricked myself into looking at it as I can't have enough to get drunk anymore so what's the point in opening the next one. Reading helps for me. It passes time, educates you to some extent and it makes me sleepy. To my knowledge I've never drank in my sleep but.....

AHHH!! P90x....I have been interested but it seems INTENSE.

Good job on 3 days. Do you still think your body NEEDS the alcohol? Or is it more mental? For me, the physical part was pretty uncomfortable but the mental strain was/is the worst part. Which is why I previously asked about the 6 week taper.

It seems like you are wanting a sober life...eventually. We all are
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
AHHH!! P90x....I have been interested but it seems INTENSE.

Good job on 3 days. Do you still think your body NEEDS the alcohol? Or is it more mental? For me, the physical part was pretty uncomfortable but the mental strain was/is the worst part. Which is why I previously asked about the 6 week taper.

It seems like you are wanting a sober life...eventually. We all are
I honestly think its over. (the physical part) I'm having dreams and until this week endured night sweats but other than that the taper allowed me to miss the really nasty stuff I think. My nausea and vomiting usually hit about day 3 & I feel great today. So as far as I'm concerned I'm done today. I have no beer at home and I don't plan to buy any. Looking back 6 weeks may have been too long but based on my symptoms 2 certainly wasn't long enough. The mental part is and will become tougher I'm sure. I focused so hard on the taper goal that I ignored a lot of the mental baggage or all the naysayers just motivated me. Either way who cares because now the hard part starts and I'm not blind to the fact I have only just begun.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I honestly think its over. (the physical part) I'm having dreams and until this week endured night sweats but other than that the taper allowed me to miss the really nasty stuff I think. My nausea and vomiting usually hit about day 3 & I feel great today. So as far as I'm concerned I'm done today. I have no beer at home and I don't plan to buy any. Looking back 6 weeks may have been too long but based on my symptoms 2 certainly wasn't long enough. The mental part is and will become tougher I'm sure. I focused so hard on the taper goal that I ignored a lot of the mental baggage or all the naysayers just motivated me. Either way who cares because now the hard part starts and I'm not blind to the fact I have only just begun.
The mental part is the toughest for me. Stay focused, either AA, read up on AVRT (they have the rational recovery book at many libraries I presume, stay active on SR (the chat room is an awesome service)

The secular forum has ALOT of good advice/information...even if it means going pages and pages back. Lots of good stuff there, particularity by freshstart,GAT, and Terminally Unique. I am sure I am missing a few others. Find what works for YOU.

I even went to the library and got some books on alcoholism. I am pouring (pun) as much time (maybe even more) into my recovery as I did my drinking. Stay focused.
You CAN do this my friend
Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

So I went to a concert at a small venue last night. Had a nice meal, watched the band, drank soft drinks and came home. Woke up happy and clear this morning rather than head pounding, nauseated, and confused about what songs I may have heard. I don't plan to go back now. I forgot how nice it feels to behave normally.