Notices

My quitting log.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by b729 View Post
Well, it's day one, keep in mind I have severe anxiety, and that's why I started drinking, I am working on it, I was taking Zoloft and all was well until I started becoming suicidal and had to quit taking it, f* it, I might as well be honest. Eventually I have to solve it but its a work in progress, looking up alcohol withdrawal symptoms, it's pretty much exactly the anxious hell I was dealing with before I started drinking, so it's going to be hard to tell what's withdrawal and what's anxiety, but whatever, I'm determined to do this ****. I am truly upset that many people's are shooting down my attempt to get better, it's been done before, I've spent weeks researching it and many people have successfully done it, if it does get to the point I need medical attention, of course I will get it, but at this point, this is the best option for me.

Im not saying you cant do it ,Im saying when I was really drinking alot -I could not do it .

But i have heard lots of former heavy drinkers cant moderate ,And i can .

So everyone is diffrent .
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Tapering is a good start. It shows commitment to quitting.
My success with tapering was very low. My Addiction Dr told me to taper 10% less per day. Yea rite. My 10% was more like 3% per day. After 20 failed attempts using the 10% less per day guidelines I managed to successfully stop 1 time.
The toughest part for me using a taper program was I wanted to stop immediately; I didn't want to wait 10 - 15 days to be done with it.
Second hurdle was the first few nights. 10% less of my tapering program was still a lot of alcohol and enough to get me drunk. By the time I hit my nightly finish marker I got a case of the f.....it's and just continued drinking.
I find it strange that considering all the failed attempts and shared experiences of low success rates my Dr still told me the best method to get off the booze was to Taper.
Everyone is different, but for me, the tapering process was too long.

Best Of luck!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by b729 View Post
Well, it's day one, keep in mind I have severe anxiety, and that's why I started drinking, I am working on it, I was taking Zoloft and all was well until I started becoming suicidal and had to quit taking it, f* it, I might as well be honest. Eventually I have to solve it but its a work in progress, looking up alcohol withdrawal symptoms, it's pretty much exactly the anxious hell I was dealing with before I started drinking, so it's going to be hard to tell what's withdrawal and what's anxiety, but whatever, I'm determined to do this ****. I am truly upset that many people's are shooting down my attempt to get better, it's been done before, I've spent weeks researching it and many people have successfully done it, if it does get to the point I need medical attention, of course I will get it, but at this point, this is the best option for me.

....But apparently NOT YOU! Hows that tapering working for you?????

Maybe now you will realize people were not being "mean to you" they just have been there and are smarter than you!

Waiting to hear day 2 of your log!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah, tapering off never worked for me.

11 years ago when I was on a diet (I did lose 50 pounds at the time) I was able to cut myself off after so many drinks but I was hardly eating so it didn't take much alcohol to satisfy me.

Over the last several years of my abuse I tried to stop at about 6 beers on work nights. But if I finished number 6 and I wasn't "buzzed enough" I would have one or two or three more.

I was so proud of myself on the days when I would finish number 5 and feel satisfied; then I would have one more for the hell of it which would turn into two.

Then if I had hard liquor in the house all hell broke loose. It would be one shot before the first beer. OK one more shot with this next beer that's it. Ahh what the hell I only had 5 beers, one more shot with one last beer. It's still early, one more beer. One last one for the night. OK one final beer and a small shot.

I could never trust myself.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Doniker,

At least you can admit it and are one of the lucky ones to know and ACCEPT it does not work. Some will try to MAKE it work their entire life--wasting most of it to trying to prove something that only prolongs their misery.

Good for you in accepting this .

Stay Strong,
TrixMixer
Old 10-20-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I tried this method, but it failed horribly. It's honestly an excuse to drink to quit drinking or was for me anyways. I didn't actually think I was gonna quit drinking using this method and finally stopped wasting my time detoxed. Not trying to be harsh, but the wean yourself off method failed for me.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hated that my "moderate" nights were power drinking for just about anyone else and I thought about drinking more than ever. My drinking was/is like a bad, bad lover who gets very jealous and spiteful.

Is "tapering" different than "moderation"?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well I'm certainly no expert but, I reckon it would be harder for me to stick to a drink limit I set myself than stop drinking completely. I'm not drinking because I can't stop at one, or 12. So I reckon you must have fantastic will power to stick to your set drinks because there is no hope of me doing that. I suppose if it was easier for people to control their own intake, they wouldn't be alcoholics anyway... Just some thoughts. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I want to hear from the OP too. I thought I would try to taper to lesson the withdrawals but found myself unable to stop after I reached my daily limit. Now I am 20 HOURS without alcohol. It sucks and it's all I can think about it but I know if I go out and buy a fifth ill drink the whole damn thing.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So far (I am certainly not out of the woods) but I have been able to handle the regimen of reduced tapering. I have not exceeded my daily allotment from my schedule and am nearing my targeted date of 11/1 to zero drinks. The one good yet disappointing thing I have done twice in the last week or so is having a day with no drink but drinking the daily allotment the following day. I should have stayed at none and given the withdrawal waters a test. I see myself transitioning to being as or more concerned about the boredom and anxiety as the physical.

What a mess we get ourselves into by taking that first drink in life. My goal is in no way moderation by doing the taper method. I want to prove to myself that I can get sober under my own power just like I got intoxicated. The one thing I see from daily reading this site over the past months is that we are all individuals with different skill sets so no one way works for everyone.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Skydawg View Post
The one thing I see from daily reading this site over the past months is that we are all individuals with different skill sets so no one way works for everyone.
True, but some things are universal. Alcoholics can't control their drinking. And tapering is drinking.

The OP never posted back. Was it because he was successful in tapering? Or not? I think the later.

If your tapering fails Skydawg, I hope you give abstinence a chance.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Carl,
First off thanks for the reply. Let me explain a little farther.

I was a beer drinker for years with weekend tailgates, golf outings and concerts being my main times of indulgence. I rocked on happily like that for 15+ years. Then one day I realized that my kids were noticing the beer drinking sessions my buddies and I would have on poker night and cook outs and decided I didn't want to expose them to that. That was where I made a decision to have a vodka drink when they were around. Fast forward 5 or so years and here I am. I have a physical dependence to alcohol. I should have stopped drinking beer but I decided not to and let it escalate to liquor.

Here is where I know a lot of posters will disagree with me and I'm the first to say I may not be able to practice what I'm preaching but I believe it today as I'm typing it so I'm gonna give a heck of an effort.

I am not convinced that all who confess to be addicted to alcohol have a disease per say. I do think we all have a dependence to a chemical that at some point in our lives we made a conscious effort to consume. I whole heartedly believe that most of us with addictive personalities will not stop our chosen vice until we are at a point of desperation. That is where I am trying to be different. At this point I am successful, functional and generally healthy. My wife asked me to consider stopping drinking because of her concerns for long term health and she doesn't want to see me progress any farther (a point I'm in agreement with 100% due to family history). I have struggled with cold turkey after a few days because the sweats and nausea really interfere with my very public profession. I have no interest at this point in sharing my addiction with doctors, coworkers, or extended family so I decided that tapering was worth a try at least. So far I have managed a very gradual taper, loaded myself with b vitamins, taurine, and lots of water and Gatorade. Plus I read here a lot. I don't post much because I know my opinion is in the very very small minority and I am a very big believer in "to each their own". Reading all these great peoples stories about life and alcoholism and recovery serves as great motivation for me to stop now.

To your points:
"Tapering is drinking" It absolutely is and I admit that. But true tapering is not in any way the enjoyable experience my moderate drinking days usually were. As of today I'm limiting myself to 2 beers a day this week and 1 a day next week just in hopes that going this slowly will allow me a mostly withdrawal free recovery. (physical symptoms)

Abstinence is and always has been my goal. I want to no longer drink, I just want to stop the way I started. I take responsibility for my decision to drink that Miller Lite I drank 26 years ago on my buddies tailgate. I also want to make and own the decision that I don't need to drink to function normally any longer.

If I fail, I will be first in line at the doctors office and support group because that will prove I'm not capable and I need extra help to get over the hump.

Wish me luck. I will provide the effort.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Skydawg View Post
Wish me luck. I will provide the effort.
Absolutely. I wish everyone who comes here success in their sobriety journey.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Of course the argument can be made that tapering has been done for centuries. That is true, however, there was always a baby sitter/doctor to administer the taper. So does it work? Yes, it's proven. But to be the administer of alcohol yourself is probably worse than being your own lawyer.

I saw a doctor two weeks ago who reccomended tapering.
I think she was shocked at how much I knew about the subject.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I actually came about this method during conversation with a long time good friend of mine who was secretly withdrawing to avoid work issues. This guy has been a buddy since middle school (long time). He had always been the drunkest of my group of cohorts and was starting to get into marital issues. He decided he would quit cold turkey at the beginning of summer just like me, only neither confided in the other. We both went days at a time without but the symptoms always interfered with a speech or sales presentation. He finally reached out to a dr. and the dr. created this tapering schedule for him. All the sudden I noticed him sober when he wouldn't normally be or missing from certain high risk events where he usually led the party. I finally was curious enough that I called and asked in private what's up. He was relieved to confide and also excited that I was supportive not judgmental. He then shared his method from a-z and it has worked for him. Last week he met 6 weeks completely clean and I sure don't plan to fail in the midst of his amazing success. He claims to have had few withdrawals only agitation at first and mild sleep issues including vivid dreams. If that's possible, I'm in 100%.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am no expert, and very new to this whole sobriety train myself...but all of this just seems like an excuse/reason to still be able to drink.

I do wish you well on your journey and hope you find the peace you (and all of us) deserve.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
I am no expert, and very new to this whole sobriety train myself...but all of this just seems like an excuse/reason to still be able to drink.

I do wish you well on your journey and hope you find the peace you (and all of us) deserve.

Doctors tell you not to just stop drinking and to taper down.

If everyone who wanted to quit drinking did it under medical supervision, our hospitals would have one hell of a problem on their hands.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
Doctors tell you not to just stop drinking and to taper down.

If everyone who wanted to quit drinking did it under medical supervision, our hospitals would have one hell of a problem on their hands.
Maybe YOU ARE right. What do I know?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I gotta say I am slightly shocked and disappointed. I truly get that a lot of us hit rock bottom or are in such denial that full submission of powerlessness to any theory or support group or spirituality is needed to heal the "disease". Only I don't think that's the case for everyone or me. I have an addiction to alcohol because I flooded my bloodstream for 20+ years with enough for several people. Call me dumb but If you stabilize the body slowly, recalibrate the thought process then make powerful mature decisions you can stop without being submissive to anything. I'm an adult, I made bad choices that led to a powerful addiction. I now make good choices that slowly is leading to recovery for me. I was excited this morning to get up walk the dog, shower and go to work with no hangover, or shakes, or cravings and clear white eyes for a change. I have had a great day and plan on many more as I wish for all of us in early recovery.

I am going to take an afternoon and really consider if this forum is where I belong because I obviously have different thoughts than most and I need support and want to offer the same.

best of luck