Notices

stop drinking alcohol

Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stop drinking alcohol

Drinking alcohol is not a good habit. We must stop drinking alcohol. It effects our body and our family too. We can live happily. Alcohol is such types of drinking water that it may cause lungs cancer, kidney cancer.Our lives will be shorter by drinking alcohol. It is good not to drink alcohol.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said. The benefit of not drinking alcohol is a better and longer life. BE WELL
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ummm... ok. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dude, that was awesome. Like a self revelation put down in text. Put it on paper and hang it on your bedroom wall and stare at when you get up in the morning to remind yourself not to drink.

Something tells me a loved one put you up to it?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If only it were as simple as "just stopping".

I see you've made one post. I suspect you don't have an addiction problem but you just dislike alcohol and drinkers. Am I wrong?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR maitribachan

personally I can't fault anything you've said here - looking forward to hearing more from you.

I hope future replies to you will be a little less heavy on the wisecracks and a little more polite & considerate of a newcomer.

D
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do wish it was as easy as grabbing for a glass of water. Once you have quit and worked whatever your new routine is for a while, it does get a bit easier but the moment something really big goes wrong it takes every bit of strength in that alcoholic to not reach for that bottle to escape.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah.... Drinking is bad for us... Pretty much..
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
If only it were as simple as "just stopping".

I see you've made one post. I suspect you don't have an addiction problem but you just dislike alcohol and drinkers. Am I wrong?
I must say your post "struck a nerve with me..."
As a non-drinker, I've watched many people in my life go downhill due to this awful disease....

And, no I haven't personally had to overcome alcoholism, but I have overcome plenty of other difficulties in my life...

Yes, you are 100% correct that it's not easy to kick this habit...
Why? Well, for starters, if one has been drinking for a period of time, their Central Nervous System is going to be compromised without alcohol, which is why so many people feel the "need" to return to it...

As a non-drinker, do I dislike alcohol and drinkers?
I personally don't like taste of alcohol just like someone else may not like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches....
I can probably take up the rest of the memory of my computer for the other reasons why I don't like alcohol...

Let's see....
Several years ago, a dear friend of mine had Peripheral Neuropathy, resulting from years of excessive drinking and one day she lost her balance and fell and hit her head...
Long story short, she bled to death and died alone in her apartment...

I've seen alcohol compromise the most beautiful of personalities, such as my last boyfriend...
Although, it's been over for quite a while now, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him and hope and pray that he's ok...

So, yeah, I'm not a fan...HOWEVER....
I have several friends that do know how to drink responsibly and I have no problem with alcohol in this context...

Maybe the original poster does have an addiction and seeing the negative effects of alcohol in print is helping them stay sober?

Or, let's assume that you are correct and this person is a non-drinker?

Maybe they too have been hurt by a loved one's problem and they simply want to inform others so they don't go down with the ship, too...

I realize that you are hurting in your own right...
Addiction is a beast...
But, so are we (on the other side of the fence)
I could argue and say that it hurts more for us because we're sober the whole time and aren't choosing to numb ourselves out....
But...what good would that do any of us??

Usually, when I read posts like yours, I just skip over it, but for what it's worth, I am SICK and TIRED of the insensitivity I have seen on this site towards new comers....

Does it happen all the time? Of course, not...
But, I do feel it happens often enough, as I have finally "hit my bottom" and felt the need to say something about it.....

I wish you well in your recovery.....
There are so many people who don't choose to take this path...
I am truly glad you're not one of them...

Best wishes,

Linda
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR maitribachin! You're so right - we can live happily without it. I wish I'd realized that many years ago.

We're glad you visited us - this is a great place. We hope you'll tell us a little more about yourself. SR really helped me decide to stop - it was great to meet people who really understood.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maitribachan View Post
Drinking alcohol is not a good habit. We must stop drinking alcohol. It effects our body and our family too. We can live happily. Alcohol is such types of drinking water that it may cause lungs cancer, kidney cancer.Our lives will be shorter by drinking alcohol. It is good not to drink alcohol.
Thank you for your post maitribachan. Your written thoughts about alcohol consumption show an honest and caring nature. Whether you are personally or indirectly effected by alcoholism I hope you get the benefits/assistance that you seek by posting here Please keep posting if it helps your cause
Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love posts like this. Remember to think of alcohol like street drugs because it is one. If you had a spreadsheet of all the main drugs out there alcohol would be illegal because its worse than many of the ones highly illegal. Most of the wine drinking aristocrats don't bat an eye at poring the same thing race cars use to scream down the quarter mile down their throats. And in our cancer worrying society you'd think people would call alcohol what it is a known carcinogen. The government isn't even afraid to list it as one so why doesn't it have the same stigma as smoking?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maitribachan View Post
Ah this made me smile. I like it. Keeping it simple and very true.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes it is a simple solution to just not drink but we are dealing with people who don't always find it easy, this calls for practicing not drinking one day at a time. BE WELL
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Simple terms -for the simple minded

It ain't that easy , if it were , everyone would just stop .

In the AA book it's described as psysical
And mental suffering .

Basically , if you have not gone through it , keep the uninformed comments to yourself .

It's close to hell on earth , why do you think suicide is so common in alcoholics .?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by karate
Simple terms -for the simple minded

It ain't that easy , if it were , everyone would just stop .

In the AA book it's described as psysical
And mental suffering .

Basically , if you have not gone through it , keep the uninformed comments to yourself .

It's close to hell on earth , why do you think suicide is so common in alcoholics .?
Actually I have gone through it, but I don't take issue with the OPs message. Alcohol is bad, and when I decided that drinking it is morally wrong for me, then I stopped drinking it. That was after a suicide attempt which resulted from many years of poisoning myself with alcohol and pills. Once I decided to be done, it was as simple as that...so not everyone shares your experience, karate. Keep the uninformed comments to yourself? Wow dude where's that coming from?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

simple language....my first language is not english, and it sounds like that's so for the OP, too.

when that's so, it's terrifically difficult to express complex concepts, if we're not fluent in the language we're using.

crumbs...some awful comments on this thread to the OP
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No intent to insult anyone. I just get tired of that " just stop drinking "
Foolishness .

I do realize I come across as very blunt . No ill feelings Ment .

My grandad used to say " mean what you say and say what you mean .
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR Maitribachan. I don't know if they have AA or other face to face support group in Nepal but you will get a lot of support here

If you are trying to quit, yes alcohol is really horrible for the health. Feel free to join us on the 24 hours club where we all pledge not to drink for today. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4070214
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by fini View Post
simple language....my first language is not english, and it sounds like that's so for the OP, too.

when that's so, it's terrifically difficult to express complex concepts, if we're not fluent in the language we're using.

crumbs...some awful comments on this thread to the OP
Thank you! English is not my first language either. I am just glad that someone in Nepal found SR and is reaching out for help. Alcoholism affects people regardless of race or national origin.