Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

has anyone ever needed to drink when they wake up

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever had to drink just to get out of bed in the morning?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right now i am going through a bad time , going to outpatient rehab tuesday, any advise
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yep.

My last two years of drinking I drank from the time I got up to the time I went to bed (passed out).

That was the turning point for me. I couldn't keep going on like that...I was drinking for oblivion, not fun, not even to get drunk, but to keep the W/D's at bay. It really was hell but I couldn't not drink. Finally one day I had a "moment of clarity" and called a treatment center to get help. That was 3 months ago, and with AA, treatment, and this website I haven't had a drink since I had that moment of clarity. Well that's not entirely true LOL, I drank 3 beers driving over to the treatment center for the evaluation (30 minute drive).
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many a time on a binge, i'd wake up, reach for the bottle and repeat until i was too ill to drink even if i wanted too. I'm not gonna offer any tips because they have not worked for me. All i can do is wish you the best.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, been there, done that.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My best drinking buddy and closest friend did the last 6 months of her journey into the throes of chronic alcoholism. She kept a glass of wine next to her bed so that she'd have it when she woke up. Then, she died this past Valentines Day. Sorry to not put a pretty face on it but if you're considering doing this or are already doing it please seek help.

This is one of the reasons also that I have been sober for 48 days. I'll never forget her looking at me and saying "watch out because someday this will be you". It took me from Valentines Day until the end of May to wake the heck up.

Please, please seek help if you're doing this.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, that was my realization that I had a problem. I mean I had a problem with drinking before, but when I would walk up and crave wine or beer, that is when I knew it was getting out of control. Best of luck in rehab.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Yep, That was close to the end for me. Either I was going get sober or alcohol was going to kill me. The final straw was going into acute withdrawl by accident because I could not drink at work
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. Kept the dregs of an empty forty ouncer on the bed stand. First thing in the morning, then, all day. Repeat for three days until my body couldn't take it any more.
Recover for three days and start again.
The amount of time I squandered, either drinking or recovering, makes me ill.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Have you talked to a doctor, vinny? It sounds like you might need some help with detoxing. Kudos to you for starting outpatient rehab (and welcome to SR!)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yep. leave enough over to get a buzz on in the morning to feel ok until i got to the shops.

then, leave enough over to wake up, drink and not be vomiting and shaking.

then, just drink until it doesn't matter if it's morning, noon or night, as i couldn't tell anyway.

if you are physically reliant on alcohol to feel even human, let alone 'normal' in the morning, i would consider it the beginning of the end. a friend of mine died a few weeks ago, aged 45. i've since found out he was on the waiting list for a liver transplant, but he couldn't find the strength to stop long enough to get that help.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

It starts at: "No drinking before 5:00pm
Progresses to: "No Drinking before noon"
To: "No Drinking before noon -except on Holidays"
Finally to: "It's 5:00pm somewhere in the world.
I guess you see where this is heading.
Set whatever limits you want for yourself.
The AV inside will always find away around them.
Best thing is not to drink at all.
Limits and moderation do not work.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The last couple years or so before I got sober I always had to drink on the way to work. Usually 4 loco or tilt.

So sick.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Yup i used to drink in mornings and all day.

Wasn't the best place to be
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I would drink warm vodka first thing in the morning. If I drank too much, I'd be drunk and call in sick to work and stay drunk the whole day. That, like others have said here, was the beginning of the end. It got ugly.

None of us is hopeless, though. We can recover, no matter how far down we've gone, provided we make sobriety the most important thing in our life.

My best to you.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Yep. Kept the dregs of an empty forty ouncer on the bed stand. First thing in the morning, then, all day. Repeat for three days until my body couldn't take it any more.
Recover for three days and start again.
The amount of time I squandered, either drinking or recovering, makes me ill.
That is exactly what I was doing in the last year or so of drinking...drank for 7-10 days...stopped and stayed sober for 10-25 days and then repeat recycle. I drank in the am all the time too (ahhh a glass of chardonnay in the place of coffee!) and the first 4-5 days of getting sober after a "bender" were hell...I experienced serious mental head demons and severe anxiety but I was Ok physically...that part was the miracle!

UGH...
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Same story here. Although I didn't drink before work, whenever the opportunity presented itself I'd be at the shop 9am for booze.

So sick. It makes me cringe just to think about it. Being drunk by 10am is not normal by any standards. Ugh.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Have you talked to a doctor, vinny? It sounds like you might need some help with detoxing.
That's what happened to me. I crossed the line of having hangovers in the morning to having DT's.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yes I drank first thing out of bed. I couldn't even get in the car without a few beers next to me. I was nervous just driving to the grocery store without a beer in my hand. I had it in my cup at work. It was pretty bad at the end.

But the good news is you can get better and lose the desire to drink. I suggest you give AA a try. You'll find a lot of hope there. If you want any AA resources or just a friend to talk to let me know! Check out the 24 hour club we sign in once a day and make a promise not to use that day. God Bless you!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes. I could no longer sleep through the night because my physical need for alcohol would wake me up. In other words, I would wake up detoxing after three to four hours and have to have a couple of drinks to steady my nerves so that I could sleep again.