Notices

Great AV Logic!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Great AV Logic!

So I was having a convo with an old drinking buddy a few days ago. I know he has a problem and has dealt with many of the exact same issues I dealt with in the past. So I'm hardly one to lecture him on the errors of his ways.

In any case, he was mentioning that a lot of people around him are asking him if he thinks he's an alcoholic. He stopped drinking for a couple of weeks as part of a health kick and cited that as proof he didn't have a problem if he could just stop on a dime like that. I mentioned that if someone's life is unimaginable without booze, chances are they have a problem. His response:

"Well I guess half the frickin planet has a problem then."

It was interesting because I didn't really have an answer at the time, and as I said I don't want to be overly preachy about sobriety. People have to find that on their own. But it was clearly his addiction talking and justifying itself. It got me to thinking how often I did that to justify my drinking to myself. I was convinced, or at least wanted to be convinced that most people loved alcohol too. Maybe they didn't drink it the way I did, but they deep down loved it too.

Anyways, it was just more of a flashback to how absolutely convincing my AV could be.