Notices

Anything Like this Ever Happen to You?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Anything Like this Ever Happen to You?

I was playing horseshoes with some friends having a good time and all was going well as it has been for almost a year now. Pretty much everyone but me was drinking from those generic red cups that all look alike.

Drinking red Gatorade and someone was drinking Gatorade with a healthy amount of vodka in the mix. Picked up the wrong one and slammed down a half cup of vodka/grain (not sure) mix. I'm certain it wasn't a subconsciousness act, just a dumb mistake.

Tried to throw it up but I've never been able to make myself throw up. Left promptly after saying I had to go.

That was almost 12 hours ago and sitting 4am like an old, really bad but fun ex-girlfriend just called me and I want to go over her house and have fun for a night.

I keep thinking of that Seinfeld episode where they accidentally spiked the alcoholics drink.

Ugh!

At least I made it through the part where alcohol is available (everything closes at 2am) and if I sleep think I'll be OK.

LOL, WTF...what a stupid way to screw up.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a legitimate accident. Don't beat yourself up. Don't set a new sobriety date or anything. I heard someone tell the same type story. He was a some sort of party where he was accidently served an alcoholic beverage by waiter and he literally spit it out! He said he was really angry.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by MrPersonality View Post
That's a legitimate accident. Don't beat yourself up. Don't set a new sobriety date or anything. I heard someone tell the same type story. He was a some sort of party where he was accidently served an alcoholic beverage by waiter and he literally spit it out! He said he was really angry.
Thanks

Really have no one to be angry at just that old craving is knocking at the door. Pounding actually.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've read many posts here from people who've done similar things.

It was a mistake.

Probably best to be a little bit more vigilant in future, tho...and maybe sip not gulp in social settings

you might hear from your inner addict a bit for the next little while, but you're in the drivers seat here...you'll get through this otter.

D
Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

A mistake is a mistake. Sounds like you did well in your response to it.

Are you in Madison? I saw your 'location'.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Similar situation Happened to someone I was with who was 20+ years sober. Sat down at a family dinner and he grabbed what he thought was a small tonic out of the fridge. Took a sip and he must have realized immediately upon tasting a little because he spit it out with a shocked and worried look on his face. A few of us at the table are also in sobriety and in our opinion that incident didnt count but it was definitely a close call.

Also, your incident definitely reminds me of Seinfeld! Just with gatorade instead of cranberry.

But in your situation, (as far as we know) you didnt continue to drink once you realized and you removed yourself from the chances of that happening again... The guy in Seinfeld did continue to drink and ultimately "fell off the wagon."

Mistakes happen. Just be more careful to hold onto your drink next time. And in the case of the female - you can always go out another night. You probably did right to not stay out or go out after it happened.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've read many posts here from people who've done similar things.

It was a mistake.

Probably best to be a little bit more vigilant in future, tho...and maybe sip not gulp in social settings

you might hear from your inner addict a bit for the next little while, but you're in the drivers seat here...you'll get through this otter.

D
Thanks Dee! Don't think I've ever said this but you've been the biggest inspiration to my sobriety on this board since Carol left us. I know I don't post much until something like tonight happens which is selfish but I have a brute force way of approaching things that don't help much so I usually keep quiet.

The horseshoe pits were about 50 yards away and the games last for a good 45 minutes so I just wanted to get my drink finished. It's was 90 degrees and humid.

I can't abandon my friends who drink or I'll be alone in the world so that's not an option for me. Maybe a bring a blue cup next time.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
A mistake is a mistake. Sounds like you did well in your response to it.

Are you in Madison? I saw your 'location'.
No, I'm in Pennsylvania right now but travel quiet a bit.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by Ryno03272009 View Post
Similar situation Happened to someone I was with who was 20+ years sober. Sat down at a family dinner and he grabbed what he thought was a small tonic out of the fridge. Took a sip and he must have realized immediately upon tasting a little because he spit it out with a shocked and worried look on his face. A few of us at the table are also in sobriety and in our opinion that incident didnt count but it was definitely a close call.

Also, your incident definitely reminds me of Seinfeld! Just with gatorade instead of cranberry.

But in your situation, (as far as we know) you didnt continue to drink once you realized and you removed yourself from the chances of that happening again... The guy in Seinfeld did continue to drink and ultimately "fell off the wagon."

Mistakes happen. Just be more careful to hold onto your drink next time. And in the case of the female - you can always go out another night. You probably did right to not stay out or go out after it happened.
Definitely didn't continue drinking. Locked myself in the house.

And thanks for the company guys.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never suggested you dump your friends - just that there is a need for all of us to be vigilant...noone else will throw themselves across the room and knock the drink out of your hands, y'know?

thanks for the kind words

D
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
those generic red cups that all look alike.
Toby Keith - Red Solo Cup (Unedited Version) - YouTube

Red Solo Cup! I thought this song was a hoot until I got sober. I still think its funny but It just does not pack the punch it used to..lol

Maybe next time take your own beverages. Bring a small cooler and put only your drinks in them. Bring your own cup if you have to. That way there can be no mix up
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

you're experiencing the kindling effect.....

stay strong and stay stopped!!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Relapse, in my very humble opinion, is more about intent. I have been served rum and cola twice since I sobered up and both times I knew after the first sip. I immediately handed the drink to my husband both times and told him what was up, and he took it back to the bar to get me my soda.

I don't, nor will I ever, consider those slips, relapses, or any such. If I had taken a second drink, or decided to finish it without saying anything, THOSE would be, to me, a true relapse.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Connect with your higher power .

Drinking is an Ant ,God is mighter than an elephant !
Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Connect with your higher power .

Drinking is an Ant ,God is mighter than an elephant !
Words of wisdom. I'm going to keep that quote in mind.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Words of wisdom. I'm going to keep that quote in mind.
Thanks , God is all that keeps me sane .
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

<<< Having had a similar situation with Vodka........... Yes I was drinking my own bourbon and coke but they didnt know what vodka does to me. I resigned right there that I would bring my own little "blinged" glass to parties where people would probably be using those darn red cups. The people that I have been around thought it was "cute" and had no problem in me using my own cup. If you are not crafty then just take a magic marker and put your name on YOUR cup and make sure that is the one you are using. This is just a little trick that worked for me so I hope its a help to you
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by KittyH View Post
<<< Having had a similar situation with Vodka........... Yes I was drinking my own bourbon and coke but they didnt know what vodka does to me. I resigned right there that I would bring my own little "blinged" glass to parties where people would probably be using those darn red cups. The people that I have been around thought it was "cute" and had no problem in me using my own cup. If you are not crafty then just take a magic marker and put your name on YOUR cup and make sure that is the one you are using. This is just a little trick that worked for me so I hope its a help to you
Agreed, I don't have a system down yet but I'm going to have to come up with some system. Not sure I'll make it through the evening with old Army buddies with a bling glass however.

I finally fell asleep at 8am this morning and I've been sleeping like a baby. Woke up at 10:45 ran out of bed scared I was late for work. This used to happen all the time when I was drinking heavy.

Made it all the way out to my truck before I realized it's Saturday and didn't have to work. I was literally shaking and my heart was beating out of my chest.

Came back in and slept till 2pm and woke up feeling good. Won't lie and say the monkey is no longer on my back but it's not like it was. I know it sounds pretty benign what I just described (this morning with work panic) but wow it was weird. It was just like when I used to sleep through my alarm and wake up 2 hours late.

This is a crazy, evil disease.

Anyway, I made it through the worst part with your guys help. A sincere "Thank You".

Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

<< Sorry I wasnt clear on that. I took my own glass so I could drink and not mix up a Vodka drink (which makes me fight like a Texas girl on steroids) LOL What I was trying to suggest is taking a permanent marker with you to an event like this and write your name on your cup. I have some girlfriends who do this now, it keeps you aware of what cup is yours and where you put it. If it disappears then just do it again with a new one. I actually warned my daughter about this too before she goes off to college. And again I hope this may just help a little bit with this same problem not happening again to you
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by KittyH View Post
Vodka drink (which makes me fight like a Texas girl on steroids)
Heh, if you weren't from Texas I'd have to compare notes about our past from my drinking days.

Thanks!