Notices

Self-Destruct in 3...2...1

Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

MrPersonality, I wrote a short, direct answer before because, based on what you wrote, I think you should make that your top priority. Sounds like you need some help.It sounds like your job may be stressing you out anyways. Do you really want to continue this same vicious cycle? If I were you, I'd call your insurance company and find out if they'll cover it. If they will, I'd research and find the best one they'll cover and go. You may lose your job (although it sounds like your boss is understanding). But if you don't go, you may end up losing your job eventually anyway, or worse. Good luck making your decision.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Wow, what an awesome opportunity.

Don't just GO to rehab...commit to it. You are not only being told you can keep your job, you are being offered a opportunity that will save your life and turn it around.

This is an incredible blessing.

Good job on three days sober!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"My greatest fear is that I will go to rehab and still drink."
not going to rehab doesn't read like its workin too good.

"I'm nervous about asking for rehab because I fear I will be straight up fired or blacklisted and then I really would feel like an idiot considering they were willing to forget about this incident.

I need to change things up regardless of the consequences."

don't talk yerself out of rehab.

you can move to salt lake city, but wherever you go, there you are.
prohibition proved people that want to drink will find a way no matter what the consequences.

historic drinking culture..thats one ive never heard and ,IMO, a terrible excuse to not to go back to AA.
if ya wait for one of the good places to stop drinkin, ya may not find it.

I strongly encourage you to stop listening to the excuses yer making and commit to rehab ASAP
Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by MrPersonality View Post
I talked to my boss's boss and told him I wanted to get treatment for a problem with Alcohol. He said I needed to set up an appt. with HR who already knows situation. I guess I'll find out what's going to happen when I meet with him. Truth is that things can't keep going on like they are. I could keep my job and still drink for periods but my life would just be the same old meaningless existence. I need to change things up regardless of the consequences.
Good for you for taking steps to heal.

In most cases, not all, an employee can't be fired for seeking treatment for addiction and other mental health issues. The help-seeking typically works in the employee's favor. That HR is aware of your situation is also in your favor, as long as you demonstrate a willingness to get help.

For cases in which the employee is warned about his/her drinking and issues related to their drinking, it's easier for employers to get rid of the unwanted employee, but they still need to have documentation of the events that lead up to the dismissal. Often, a contract that deals with the employee's refusal to get help or to continue drinking is required. Again, not always. It often baffles me that people struggling with alcohol are unaware of this process, which is fairly standard among companies that have an HR department.

Having said all that, it would be for helpful were to keep such thoughts at bay and concentrate on your recovery.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MrPersonality View Post
... Truth is that things can't keep going on like they are. I could keep my job and still drink for periods but my life would just be the same old meaningless existence.
Truth is; alcoholism is a progressive illness. It won't " be the same old meaningless existence". It will get worse and worse. If you think things look like a bottom now. You ain't seen nothing YET!

I have not been fired YET
I have not gotten a DUI YET
I have not been hospitalized YET
I have not gone to jail YET
I have not lost my family YET
I have not been homeless YET
I have not been Institutionalized YET
I have not died from this disease YET