Notices

times relapsed before finally getting sober

Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Made it to 7 months sober then drank, then made just over 5 years and drank, then since February this year really struggling to get the days to stick together. Currently on just over 3 weeks.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I drank for close to 2 years, then I had 5 years sober, I relapsed for 6 years then back since January. Here to stay sober for good.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

topic of humility

there only a very few it seems

that have gotten sober and stayed sober on the first attempt

as I have stated before I relapsed so many times over the years

that I have truly lost count

and some of those times when I was back out there drinking

I wanted to stop but it seemed next to impossible

went to an AA meeting today with the topic of humility

yes that is one of our basics not to forget is it not

hard to stay humble at times as the EGO get's once again in the way

been hearing for so many years now

alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful

but still with time it is easy to forget those things

if we have a sober day today

we need to remember what it was in the beginning

that we wish not to forget today

what has kept us sober

Mountainman
Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the good and informative posts. Hopefully those that need them take them seriously. I take a lot for granted because my thinking of drinking has not existed for many years. However that shite fairy is occasionally on my shoulder with suggestions of "I wonder what that tastes like" then I go looking for my 2x4. That's part of the insidious dis ease I carry so I continue with AA meetings and read posts here which keeps the apple green. BE WELL
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My first "real" attempt (more than just a week or two of sober time) I drank after 6 months. Then after a year sober. Then after 2+years- that was most recent. The first two relapses consisted of one drinking episode each, but this last one has lasted 10 months. 10 months of trying "moderation". pfff

I really hate it. I don't trust myself! I don't have much hope to not be sucked down again.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

on 5 years.

Many relapses....after awhile it was just binge drinking.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is no way I was ever going to stay sober on the first attempt. I had too much denial and too much to learn. Sober today and by the grace of god I plan to be sober tomorrow. My many relapses, that lasted 2 days to 2 weeks, all taught me something.

If I had stayed sober from the get go I reckon my sobriety would be a very frail thing indeed. Just waiting to be dropped. I needed the lessons. But that's just me and that was my journey.

Every lapse or relapse was a lesson learnt. It was my destiny, as is my ultimate sobriety.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
There is no way I was ever going to stay sober on the first attempt. I had too much denial and too much to learn. Sober today and by the grace of god I plan to be sober tomorrow. My many relapses, that lasted 2 days to 2 weeks, all taught me something.

If I had stayed sober from the get go I reckon my sobriety would be a very frail thing indeed. Just waiting to be dropped. I needed the lessons. But that's just me and that was my journey.

Every lapse or relapse was a lesson learnt. It was my destiny, as is my ultimate sobriety.
I really like your perspective here, and I feel just the same about my sober time and relapses. There were so many things I learned each time... Sort of like peeling back layers of an onion. Now I feel I'm finally at the core and am ready to work to make this be my last time. I'm not of the opinion a relapse is necessary or inevitable, as some do seem to make it stick the first time, and more power to them for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mountainmanbob! You should be very proud of yourself, keep up the great work!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I quit almost two years ago and have not relapsed. I can't bear to go back to the old days. My life was so terrible when I was drinking and there was so much fear. Relapse just isn't an option.

Congratulations on five years!! That's so awesome. Really proud of you!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I decided to quit drinking....hummm, I think a couple hundred times...
  • 11 and a half years on my first serious try...after a relapse I thought I could easily stop again...that was a decade ago
  • more than a year twice
  • made it more than a month about 5 times
  • by far the most lasted less than a week...
  • currently in month 2...and my first attempt while embracing aa
my best to all in this struggle
Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I seem to have developed a pattern of drinking heavily for two weeks, getting sober anywhere from three days to two months, then slipping again only to drink heavily for another two weeks... this after about eight years of not even attempting to sober up. I have never attended AA or recovery so I don't have any tokens or anything to help me recall the exact amounts of time... it's all a blur, to be honest. Right now I've been sober for 13 days and I am just taking it a day at a time... congratulations on your 5 years Mountainmanbob and to everyone else
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I don't believe that I ever relapsed because I don't believe I ever really quit even though I stopped drinking for 6 years. dress always a fight in my mind that I would go back to drinking. that somehow I would learn how to drink like other people.

How many times have I tried to stop drinking more than I can possibly remember
Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was sober for 16 months. Went back out for a year and noe have 9 months. Like so many who go back out I thought I could control my drinking. It only got worse. I'm back in AA. I'm an alcoholic and I can't drink. I take it one day at a time now. Today I haven't had a drink!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Entered my first rehab at 28 struggled the first few years then had a period of almost 5 yrs sober drank again crawled back in another 5 yrs stopped going to meetings and about 3 yrs later started drinking again. Things were ok for awhile but are out of control again for the last 2 or 3 yrs. Constant struggle. I am now 54 and lurking here because it's helping me to stay sober maybe 3 out of 7 days. Sorry so long...a lot of people stay sober first time around, I just wasn't one of them.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joyousone View Post

a lot of people stay sober first time around, I just wasn't one of them.
neither was I
from what I see in AA and boards such as this
very few sober up first time around
Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I see a lot of ones here on site
beating themselves up for going back out
sometimes that is just what it takes ( a return to my - our vomit )
for us to be extra grateful for yet another chance at sobriety
MB
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I relapsed about 100 times in ten years for various, ridiculous reasons. I can't remember half of them but have journalled some. Far too many to mention on here, I'd go on forever
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

This is my 4th long term attempt and I don't want to be too sure of myself but I think I've finally killed the monster. One of my attempts really was because I was court ordered due to a DTE (driving to endanger). That went right out the window once I had my license back.

I can't even begin to count how many short term attempts that lasted from Monday through Friday when I got out of work.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

On Aug 1, 2008 I decided I wanted to live a sober life after drinking for 20+ years. I haven't had a drink since. Not sure why I was able to do it without a relapse but by the grace of God I have stayed sober.