Notices

How much of your life were you drinking?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

FreeDance, I drank for 42 years and today I am 3 years sober.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

After doing the "normal" college weekend partying...my dysfunctional relationship with alcohol started when I graduated 27 years ago. Lots of social drinking until 2000, when I told my wife I quit...even more hidden drinking all the while until 7 days ago.

I had my rules. Beer only 99%of the time. Never more than 10 in a day. Always after work. Never in the morning or at work. Usually slamming a 6 pack or tall boy while driving home or running errands. Usually had 2 or 3 sober days a month...but not more than 4 in a row until this week since I quit for a month in 2002.

Not sure what started clicking. I suddenly have lost interest in playing my games.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i'm 49 & started drinking 4 or 5 years ago when i had to deal w/ my dad (mean & ornery man) & his declining health (didn't need no help)...he died just about a year ago
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I drank for over 30 years. Started when I was 16. Knew I had a problem when I was 20. Quit right before turning 50.
For me,quitting was a complete change of life. Things normal people take for granted were reborn for me. Something as simple as life after sundown. Being sober when the sun went down was something I hadn't experienced since I could remember. I was in awe,that I could get in my car and drive after dark. I was always too drunk to go anywhere. The list goes on and on.
I am very accustomed to sobriety. I can't believe I wasted so much of my life with a monkey on my back. I am now free from all of that. it truely is freedom.
I wish you the best.

Fred
Fred,
Yes, things that normies take for granted. My sobriety definitely includes those special treats you describe. I am so grateful to be in my own life again. Thank you for sharing.
:-D. Bobbi
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
BarbieKen, Is 11/5/12 your sober birthday?? I think we may share a birthday!!
Hi,
Well, we're close...just a week or so. 11-12-12. :-D. Bobbi
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I started drinking at 18. After 36 years of drinking I pretty much resigned myself to drinking for the rest of my life. But in a moment of HP-inspired clarity, I got sober at 54.

But I've embraced sobriety (almost three years, now) and am so glad I got sober when I did.
Same for me except for a couple changes.

I started drinking at 18. After 26 years of drinking I pretty much resigned myself to drinking for the rest of my life. But in a moment of HP-inspired clarity, I got sober at 44.

But I've embraced sobriety (almost 4 months, now) and am so glad I got sober when I did.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I abused alcohol for about 37 years from the age of 17. I have stopped drinking and have never been happier. It can be done!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I did the usual teenage thing was sick a few times, then didn't really have any, had 5 children rarely went out, if someone bought a bottle of wine for a present its was a real treat .Then 12 years ago got divorced (hubby ran off with his PA ) I met what I thought was a great fun man, turned out to be an abusive alcoholic I joined in with the drinking it became normal and a vicious circle. After 5 years of abuse I managed to escape. I then carried on drinking UNTILL NOW !!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 17 and drank until it was 54. I just decided to stop. Drinking wasn't making my life any better. I quit on my own, no AA, no higher power talking to me. I told myself, "I'm done."
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aw58 View Post
I did the usual teenage thing was sick a few times, then didn't really have any, had 5 children rarely went out, if someone bought a bottle of wine for a present its was a real treat .Then 12 years ago got divorced (hubby ran off with his PA ) I met what I thought was a great fun man, turned out to be an abusive alcoholic I joined in with the drinking it became normal and a vicious circle. After 5 years of abuse I managed to escape. I then carried on drinking UNTILL NOW !!!!

This is almost exactly like me! Except I had 7 kids, rarely drank.. got divorced, spent 5 years as a single parent getting a bachelors degree... met a great responsible man.. who turned out to be an abusive (never physically abusive) drunk.. I joined in the drinking because it made him more tolerable. Stayed that way for 3 1/2 years.

I quit 6 days ago and I'm looking for a place so I can leave. Ive had enough of this crap.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 15. Went another 17 years after that, including the last 10 years really being outta control. I have 2.5 years now sober and I would not trade it for anything ever!!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I started drinking when I was about 11. My dad gave me alcohol when I visited him. It would be several alcopops bought specifically for me not the odd sip of wine that most young people get. By 14 I was drinking with friends and getting paralytic but while they calmed down after the initial burst of insanity of being legally able to drink, I got worse. I was only drinking for 11 years in total, about 4 years problematically and alcohol dependent for about 8 months. That's enough for me. I think I managed to fit a lifetime of drinking into those years.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by FreeDance View Post
I'm used to it. I am not sure I can function without it. I'd really like to hear from somebody who's spent 35 years of their life drinking, and became accustomed to sobriety.
I had about 30 years of good drinking and about 2 - 3 years of bad drinking. When I finally got around to trying to stop, I not only found it hard, I found it down-right impossible.

After dozens of tries to manage my sobriety, I found a Higher Power that manages it for me. I never did learn how to not-drink. In fact, I would go as far as to say:

"Not-drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today".
Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The first time I got drunk, I was about 13 and had been put in charge of bringing up the champagne for the NYE party. I was probably about 20 when I starting thinking I needed to get my drinking under control or quit. I was 46 when I finally quit for good.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober Today

27 of 42 years. First drink at 13, steady drinking by 15. It's just what I've always done and who I've always been.

Learning who I really am now. =)