Notices

Survived the holiday weekend...

Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Survived the holiday weekend...

Temptation to drink was high, but I stayed dry!!! This was for whatever reason a very difficult holiday this year. Away at the wife's family and there was moments of sheer compulsive thoughts of drinking. I can't say what I would have done if someone offered me a beer, and that scares me. Still being uncomfortable this far down the road at times really bums me out. Keeping sobriety a separate issue from the rest of my life is crucial. My AV Beast in my head almost got one up this weekend and I am so thankful I kept cool.

Best
ShawnM
Sober since 12-21-08
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done, Shawn! You've got a great thing going -- since '08 -- and now this tough weekend is in the past, too. Glad you stayed strong and showed the AV who is boss.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Deckard. I think it's complacency and wanting to go back to getting drunk. Seeing others get away with it for a few days can mess with you. But the difference is they can go back to there lives after a holiday and I would be thrown back into active alcoholism.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: it has to be shattered before being ascertained." -- Vladimir Nabokov

You did great by recognizing that complacency as a danger. Keep on shattering it!