Notices

The urge to throw someone out a window

Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

The urge to throw someone out a window

So stressed out right now!

To make a long story short, I live in a house with four other people. In May a new guy moved in to take the place of a friend of mine who moved out. Since then he's not paid a security deposit (claimed "next paycheck..."), lied about signing onto the lease, and last week of June said he was going to move out but still hasn't given a date so we can't do anything to find a new tenant. This afternoon I got an email from our leasing company saying rent wasn't paid in full this month and we need to pay Monday (or what? I don't know.)

Would be lovely if we could just throw him out, but tenant law doesn't allow that. We have to formally evict him ourselves. The icing on this poo cake is that this individual doesn't even feel like he's personally responsible. The latest blame was blaming Portland for not accepting him into a new housing situation yet.

I'm sure my tone makes it obvious that I'm stressed, frustrated and angry. Trying to focus on what's in my power to control and my serenity but just the same I'm allowing myself some righteous indignity.

Also not without some gratitude. I don't feel the urge to drink. Drinking would just be like, to use a phrase my old sponsor said often, "drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." Right now my craving is that the next hour and a half pass quickly enough until I'm able to make it to a meeting.

Second gratitude: my parents loaned me some money for just this event. The unpaid rent could get me evicted. That my parents were willing to send me that kind of money shows what a blessing sobriety has been. A few years ago they wouldn't have lent me $5 (and rightly so!)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about this. I have to say that I was that guy when I was 19 or 20 years old (spent all my money on booze). I lived in a house with 6 or 7 other people and they eventually kicked me out. Definitely was a good lesson for me, I've never missed a rent or utility bill since then.

Also great picture, I am an SKC fan, that was a great game earlier this year in KC. Portland is having a hell of a year.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

What alcoholic doesn't enjoy the occasional fit of homicidal rage?

When I relapsed, my motto might as well have been, "I've been thrown out of better places than this!"

Though it may not help you now, this event will eventually carry all the power of a melting snow flake.

Things could be much worse: You could be the other guy.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hate people like that. If I was in that position, I would just kick him out anyway. If he didn't pay the security deposit, isn't on the lease, and isn't paying rent, I'd tell him he isn't legally a tenet, he isn't welcome in my home, and serve him a trespass notice.

Of course, do what's best for you. But that's what I'd do.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I had an ex throw me out of an apartment before. Well, "throw" might be the wrong word. She asked me to leave after finding me passed out on the living room floor. I didn't argue; wasn't much I could say.

You're right, EndGame. This isn't the worst it could be and soon enough it'll just be something to laugh about.

Socalled, I wish that were possible. By law he still has tenant rights. I've checked for any kind of loophole and there doesn't seem to be one. The possible good news though is for non-payment of rent we might be able to give him a 5-day deadline. Then he's out the window.

Midnight, yes. Been quite a turnaround year for the Timbers. SKC is one of my favorite clubs in the league. One of the best suuporter groups in the country.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Research the laws in your area and if possible, give him a written 30-day notice to vacate then move forward with legal recourse..... throw him out at the end of 30 days!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work looking on the bright side. Sounds like the immediate problem is taken care of, thanks to your parents.

Your frustration is justified, but it sounds like your hands are a bit tied at the moment. One thing that will help is to examine your role in all this, and try and learn from it. Why did you accept this guy in the first place? What can you do differently to make sure the next roomie is responsible? Maybe you should start looking for your own apartment?

There are moments of clarity that can come after chaos, be on the lookout for some new ideas and thoughts that might come your way. You can learn from this, and learning/growing are positive things that can you can take away from the experience.

Thanks for sharing! Hope all is well today.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in college I had a situation similar to that.

The house was rented in my name. I called the landlord and explained my situation and the landlord helped me to evict the tenant. Something to consider even if it is a leasing company you're dealing with. They may be able to give you some guidance.