Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does your Spouse/Partner (not in recovery) drink?

Notices

Does your Spouse/Partner (not in recovery) drink?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It took a bit of time before I was OK with people drinking around me. I couldn't have it in my house either (and still don't).

I think if it's hard for you or jeopardizing your sobriety, you need to let him know..... maybe work something out where you don't have to be around it (at least temporarily).
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

My boyfriend occasionally drinks, in fact he even has a 6 pack of beer in our fridge that has been there since Christmas, because he is the kind of person who will only have one every few months. lol. Sometimes i am annoyed that I am not capable of doing that, but I also have to remind myself that he is not an alcoholic and that as long as I am doing what I am supposed to do in sobriety that's okay.

There will be a time occasionally when i am feeling very stressed maybe about work that i will call him or send him a text to move his beer or to take it to his brothers house next door just so that it isn't there taunting me, but that rarely happens.

I think communication is the key in cases like this. It is perfectly okay for a "normal" person to drink but they should NOT throw it in your face or taunt you about it. I have found that those people who do that generally end up alcoholics later themselves.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
He had a few too many tonight. I should be able to turn a shoulder to it, right?
Triggers. I feel weak, but I did not succumb.
This is my problem, too. My husband drinks daily, and for the first 18 months of my recovery we've had alcohol in the house and he hasn't held back on drinking it. Over the past two months I've realized that I'm not comfortable in our home when he's buzzed. I'm not comfortable coming downstairs in the morning to find wine spilled all over the coffee table. The smells of my drink of choice are too tempting and the slurred rants too upsetting.

But realizing it's his home too, we're trying to work this out. I'm checking out Al Anon, I'd recommend it!

All the best to you earthsteps, always ALWAYS put your recovery first, everything else depends upon it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. My Husband has agreed to not have any drink in the house apart from when his friends are here next weekend (it only happens once a year ) not sure if this means he will go out tho ! Im not convinced he can do it as he drink most nights in doors , But its nice of him to try ...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

All is better. We talked and set boundaries. No alcohol in the house or yard until I can handle seeing it. Thanks for all comments!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My husband does drink but rarely, and never in front of me. PG
Old 07-07-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

He does occasionally drink but he is not an alcoholic. He never tries to get me to drink with him. He's more than happy to leave me to my iced coffee and smokes (he quit smoking about 5 years go).

I too am married to a supportive man. He comes to all my races (I run).