Notices

Vitamin B and awlcohol withdrawal.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamin B and awlcohol withdrawal.

So I stopped drinking for about 4 weeks now after few years of drinking 3-4-5 times a week sometimes for couple weeks straight. I began taking vitamin b complex tablet everyday sometimes twice a day since I stopped drinking. I would occasionally have some anxiety but overall I felt ok. Now about a week ago someone in my household accidentally threw out my vitamins, so after about 2 days my anxiety skyrocketed, feeling spacey and been having obsessive thoughts, can this be related to the discontinued use of vitamin B?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know that frequently, drinkers are deficient in the B vitamins. Korsakoff's syndrome is a neurological disorder caused by a lack of thiamine (vitamin B1) in the brain. Its onset is linked to chronic alcohol abuse and/or severe malnutrition.

I've taken B supplements in the past but haven't noticed feeling better because of them or worse-off without them. My blood work shows no deficiency.

Perhaps get blood work done to see what's going on.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I swear by the vitamins. Especially the b's. Do some research on paws. There is a lot you can do nutrition wise to help yourself recover. My husband is not an alcoholic but I give the b's to him to help his sciatic nerve pain. If he stops taking them his leg will act up within a week.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In PAWS you can have the spacey feelings and rigid, repetitive thoughts going on... I know I have the obsessive thoughts at times. And I take loads of vitamins. I take all the B vitamins and extra B1 and B3, specifically to combat the alcoholic deficiencies that are so common. So... you might have these happen with or without the additional vitamins, you know? I plan to keep taking this long list of vitamins for about six months and then taper off them. At that point in time, I'll have a doc checkup to see if I'm on target health-wise... I think it's wise to go ahead and continue taking them for now just in case.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I take a b-complex vitamin daily. A lot of the B's are used by your brain for making and regulating its chemicals. Both my neurologist and old psychiatrist advised taking a supplement for epilepsy, depression and anxiety... withdrawal is different but not too different from those conditions. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a direct correlation/benefit.

And the thiamine deficiency, definitely something to look out for, especially if someone's ignored their diet while drinking. I think magnesium is another nutrient that is often lacking in an alcoholic's diet and also doesn't get absorbed as well when alcohol's involved. Magnesium's needed by the brain too.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
I think magnesium is another nutrient that is often lacking in an alcoholic's diet and also doesn't get absorbed as well when alcohol's involved. Magnesium's needed by the brain too.
I read this too. I'm taking a magnesium powder. It also has calcium, potassium, vit c, and boron. Tastes really good too. Natural Vitality Calm is the name of it. When I first drank it, I could actually feel a calming sensation and felt it in my brain. Could have also been the cold water, brain freeze thing going on. But I was hooked on it and went out and bought more.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Missing a week of vitamin therapy won't send your brain or the rest of your system reeling. It's not like missing a couple of doses of antidepressants or blood pressure meds. Vitamins don't work that way.

If money or transportation aren't barriers for you, it's very simple to replenish your supply. You can also eat vitamin-rich foods to augment your vitamins.

I'm also curious as to how someone in your household came to "accidentally" throw out your vitamins?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marker853 View Post
So I stopped drinking for about 4 weeks now after few years of drinking 3-4-5 times a week sometimes for couple weeks straight. I began taking vitamin b complex tablet everyday sometimes twice a day since I stopped drinking. I would occasionally have some anxiety but overall I felt ok. Now about a week ago someone in my household accidentally threw out my vitamins, so after about 2 days my anxiety skyrocketed, feeling spacey and been having obsessive thoughts, can this be related to the discontinued use of vitamin B?
It very well could be. Vitamin deficiencies, especially B complex are very common with alcoholics.
By having them at low levels, it can cause anxiety. I take one of those "mega" vitamins that has high levels of B and if I don't take them for a few days, I will feel very unenergetic and down. They do help quite a bit.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take b complex every day, and I can tell the difference when I don't. it was crucial for me in getting through withdrawal. I also take a gummy one a day.