SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Wine display at grocery store (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/299693-wine-display-grocery-store.html)

GroundhogDay 07-02-2013 03:25 PM

Wine display at grocery store

I wish that it wasn't so large, front, and center. Apparently, I am not the only one in the neighborhood with a drinking problem. I've been doing pretty good with resisting temptation. I don't keep wine in the house and I am currently avoiding social situations involving alcohol. But when my brain feels fuzzy and I'm at the store-- like yesterday--it can be hard. I didn't buy any wine, but I'm still craving it today. It feels like my brain is resisting being "rewired" if that makes any sense.

My husband will be home any minute, so no danger of me running out to the store tonight. Won't wake up to Sonny and Cher on the radio tomorrow morning.
:rotfxko

cheapredwino 07-02-2013 03:37 PM

It wasn't that long ago, in the province I live, that all booze was sold in a government run liquor store and you had to walk up to the counter, tell the person what you wanted, and they would go out back and get it for you.
Maybe a return to the old ways is in order.

As far as the display goes, you could always attack it and rip it apart and blame it on alcoholic rage. :P

(kidding, by the way...just making that clear)

GracieLou 07-02-2013 03:46 PM

Beer and wine was always available at the local store but hard liquor was not. That was at a state store. Then they changed it, grocery stores can now have a state license. Then they changed it again and you can buy it on Sunday at 10am!

Shop for milk, bread, eggs and the 1/2 gallon of whiskey. More places and more time to get the fix. All the new places I could make my rounds! Oh it was heaven being an alcoholic....NOT!

LadyinBC 07-02-2013 04:02 PM

I guess I am lucky that they don't sell booze in the grocery stores here yet. I'm really not sure how I will feel when it does happen. At least I can walk by the beer store I use to go to all the time without thinking about drinking now. When I first quit I wouldn't go near it and it was in the mall so I always took the long way around.

Waterforme 07-02-2013 04:05 PM

Yeah it's pretty annoying how they have the cases of beer stacked all around the fourth of July setup at my local grocery store. It's like an obstacle course to get the meat and chips without touching the beer... I just laughed about the situation and managed to maneuver around the cases without one accidentally slipping into my cart :)

GroundhogDay 07-02-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by cheapredwino (Post 4048331)
It wasn't that long ago, in the province I live, that all booze was sold in a government run liquor store and you had to walk up to the counter, tell the person what you wanted, and they would go out back and get it for you.
Maybe a return to the old ways is in order.

As far as the display goes, you could always attack it and rip it apart and blame it on alcoholic rage. :P

(kidding, by the way...just making that clear)

Where I live, hard liquor is sold in government-run stores, but beer and wine are sold everywhere.

LOL, won't go postal on the display :rotfxko

GroundhogDay 07-02-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4048345)
Beer and wine was always available at the local store but hard liquor was not. That was at a state store. Then they changed it, grocery stores can now have a state license. Then they changed it again and you can buy it on Sunday at 10am!

Shop for milk, bread, eggs and the 1/2 gallon of whiskey. More places and more time to get the fix. All the new places I could make my rounds! Oh it was heaven being an alcoholic....NOT!

The problem is that I can't avoid the grocery store. Just have to deal with the trigger of seeing that display. Yesterday was more difficult for some reason. I really think that this particular craving is physical rather than mental. Possibly it has to do with the 7 pounds that I have lost since I quit drinking.

bigsombrero 07-02-2013 05:05 PM

I hear ya, I see those signs too. I just lower my eyes, pick up my step, and walk on by. I don't like it, but I don't like broccoli either and they sell that at the supermarket too. Sometimes I avoid the sugar and candy aisles so that I don't get tempted. I look up at the signs, and I know it's filled with fruit loops and chocolate bars and ice cream - so I just turn around and walk back to the rice and beans section. That sucks too...but we'll live. Thanks for the observation, it's amazing how this stuff (advertisements in particular) is ALL AROUND US, even at bus stops and airports.

GroundhogDay 07-02-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigsombrero (Post 4048449)
I hear ya, I see those signs too. I just lower my eyes, pick up my step, and walk on by. I don't like it, but I don't like broccoli either and they sell that at the supermarket too. Sometimes I avoid the sugar and candy aisles so that I don't get tempted. I look up at the signs, and I know it's filled with fruit loops and chocolate bars and ice cream - so I just turn around and walk back to the rice and beans section. That sucks too...but we'll live. Thanks for the observation, it's amazing how this stuff (advertisements in particular) is ALL AROUND US, even at bus stops and airports.

Yes, I have been paying close attention to the booze advertisements on TV and elsewhere lately. Definitely trying to sell us the message that we are beautiful, sexy, and popular if we drink.

Pondlady 07-02-2013 07:19 PM

We have a big wine department at our grocery store near the dairy department. When I first stopped drinking, I'd ask my husband to get the yogurt etc, as I didn't want to walk by it. Eventually it bothered me less and less....until the holidays, when I took note of it again. A year later, I pretty much don't notice it anymore.....and am relieved I don't need to buy it anymore.

Crossfitdad 07-02-2013 09:24 PM

There's nothing you need in the center aisles of a grocery store. With the exception of some oils, tomato sauce, rice an a little pasta, you're not finding any of that carp in my house. Stick to the outer aisles...dairy, eggs, veggies, meat and fruits. If god didn't make it I don't want it. Beer is also on those interior aisles.

LadyinBC 07-02-2013 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad (Post 4048796)
Stick to the outer aisles...dairy, eggs, veggies, meat and fruits. If god didn't make it I don't want it. Beer is also on those interior aisles.

I have totally changed my eating in the last 2 months and have lost close to 20 pounds. I don't eat anything processed, no gluten and no sugar. I can't believe how much better I feel just sticking to the basics.

adelaine041 07-02-2013 11:55 PM

Maybe if you're on the store, you can just simply avoid the area where alcohols are being sold.

GracieLou 07-03-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay (Post 4048447)
The problem is that I can't avoid the grocery store. Just have to deal with the trigger of seeing that display. Yesterday was more difficult for some reason. I really think that this particular craving is physical rather than mental. Possibly it has to do with the 7 pounds that I have lost since I quit drinking.

This is true, we need food.

I am not sure if I understand the fact that you lost weight would give you a physical craving. Were you hungry at the time?

Have you heard of HALT? Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

If a trigger was hunger then try eating before you shop. I have heard this is good practice anyway. I know if I shop when I am hungry I end up buying all kinds of snack crap or a bunch of stuff that does not even go with each other because I am hungry and it sounds good at that moment.

Huxley 07-03-2013 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4048978)

God, that's brilliant. I'm going to say that every time my hand reaches for the peanut M&Ms too.

I was trying to work out which grocery stores in Surrey WEREN'T selling booze then realised LadyinBC is in, well, BC. Heh!

Pretty much everywhere in England that sells food also sells booze. And they put it at the counter with the rest of the impulse-buy stuff in case you managed to avoid it going around the aisles.

Arse.

The good thing is, every time you don't pick up, it's right on your mind as you leave the shop grinnin...

caboblanco 07-03-2013 03:20 AM

C'mon guys, are you really going to blame the fact that some grocery stores sell booze as a reason for your discomfort. The world doesn't revolve around us alcoholics. We can't petition to ban alcohol from grocery stores or convenience stores just because it puts us a little off our game. I'm sure some of you would like to ban alcohol all together. We all know how that worked out. Alcohol is everywhere. Every time you go out to eat or a party. We can't hide from it.

GroundhogDay 07-03-2013 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by adelaine041 (Post 4048923)
Maybe if you're on the store, you can just simply avoid the area where alcohols are being sold.

But that was the issue. This huge display was at the entrance to the store. First time I ever saw that!

GroundhogDay 07-03-2013 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by caboblanco (Post 4049053)
C'mon guys, are you really going to blame the fact that some grocery stores sell booze as a reason for your discomfort. The world doesn't revolve around us alcoholics. We can't petition to ban alcohol from grocery stores or convenience stores just because it puts us a little off our game. I'm sure some of you would like to ban alcohol all together. We all know how that worked out. Alcohol is everywhere. Every time you go out to eat or a party. We can't hide from it.

There are strict laws in some areas of the world. Where I live people certainly can petition to make the laws stricter or looser. Hard liquor is already banned from regular stores. I don't personally advocate for stricter laws. I realize that this is my problem, not that of those who drink responsibly.

GroundhogDay 07-03-2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Huxley (Post 4049001)
Pretty much everywhere in England that sells food also sells booze. And they put it at the counter with the rest of the impulse-buy stuff ...

Wow, I hadn't thought of the impulse buy angle before. You are right.

GroundhogDay 07-03-2013 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4048978)
This is true, we need food.

I am not sure if I understand the fact that you lost weight would give you a physical craving. Were you hungry at the time?

If a trigger was hunger then try eating before you shop. I have heard this is good practice anyway. I know if I shop when I am hungry I end up buying all kinds of snack crap or a bunch of stuff that does not even go with each other because I am hungry and it sounds good at that moment.

Yes, I'm kinda hungry all the time right now. I'd like to drop 3 more pounds. Weird that I would crave alcohol instead of real food.

But you are right. I should know better than to shop hungry.