Notices

Wine display at grocery store

Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I have totally changed my eating in the last 2 months and have lost close to 20 pounds. I don't eat anything processed, no gluten and no sugar. I can't believe how much better I feel just sticking to the basics.
I've been doing some paleo cooking. Even made a chocolate paleo cake. Very expensive ingredients.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Yes, I'm kinda hungry all the time right now. I'd like to drop 3 more pounds. Weird that I would crave alcohol instead of real food.

But you are right. I should know better than to shop hungry.
I dunno. When I was drinking I did not eat. I was hungry but did not want the food to take away my buzz so I held off until the end of the night. Then I would eat and go to sleep (pass out).

Maybe you are not used to hungry feeling yet? I have also heard that being thirsty can mask itself as hunger. Are you drinking enough water?

I am only hungry in the morning. Other than that I don’t feel like eating a meal, I do feel like munching though which I have noticed more and more often and I am working on that now. I grab gum or some hard candy now instead of chips or chocolate.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I went to Fresh Market a few days into my sobriety for some meat for a cook out we were having. They had a wine display before you even got in the door!

There was a tent where they were giving out samples of something or other, and they had recommended wines to go with it, a big display, chalkboard with colorful writing and grapevines drawn on it.

I remember thinking "sheesh" in my head, but I'm not a big wine drinker so it didn't draw me in too much.

eta: I was the same as GracieLou - not a big eater when I drank - my buzz was better on an empty stomach.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Are you drinking enough water?
No, I am not. Too much coffee, tea, and juice. I try to force down a couple of glasses of water a day, but I don't like it.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No, I am not. Too much coffee, tea, and juice. I try to force down a couple of glasses of water a day, but I don't like it.
Try using a straw. I mean it. I drink water, well everything really, easier and faster using a straw
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
C'mon guys, are you really going to blame the fact that some grocery stores sell booze as a reason for your discomfort. The world doesn't revolve around us alcoholics. We can't petition to ban alcohol from grocery stores or convenience stores just because it puts us a little off our game. I'm sure some of you would like to ban alcohol all together. We all know how that worked out. Alcohol is everywhere. Every time you go out to eat or a party. We can't hide from it.
Fair enough, but in this country they've banned supermarkets from displaying cigarettes because they recognise a link between what we see and what we want.

In fact, they don't advertise cigarettes anywhere in this country. I forget that that's a fairly recent thing. And a good thing - smoking's really bad for you.

Should the fact that booze is everywhere and at every party mean that no one ever points out that maybe it's an unhealthy way for an entire county to exist?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Aaaahhh...the good old British nanny state...coming soon to the USA. I'm sure there was a time in the UK when people had a sense of self reliance. I don't want to live in a world where the government decides what is 'good' for me. Once you give it that power, that's it.

I've never really noticed the wine displays. But, I was never a wine person. I do think wine is one of the more sneaky and insidious of the alcoholic drinks. I never realized wine was such a choice of drink for alcoholics until coming to this site. I think now that wine is more dangerous than the other alcohols because is comes with a positive stigma. People associate wine with sophistication...from the wine tastings to wine tours. I think a lot of upper middle class women get caught up in this wine thing. Now when I think back I remember a lot of my colleagues at an old firm always talking about drinking wine...I never thought much about it, but could you imagine people sitting around talking about what type of whiskey or vodka they had the night before and discussing the different flavors, etc. I never understood the wine crap.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For me, the bottle that makes me want to drink more than others is Bombay gin. I guess whatever marketing equation they have concocted is geared toward people like me. Whatever you do, don't look at Queen Victoria!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I do think wine is one of the more sneaky and insidious of the alcoholic drinks. I never realized wine was such a choice of drink for alcoholics until coming to this site. I think now that wine is more dangerous than the other alcohols because is comes with a positive stigma. People associate wine with sophistication...from the wine tastings to wine tours. I think a lot of upper middle class women get caught up in this wine thing. Now when I think back I remember a lot of my colleagues at an old firm always talking about drinking wine...I never thought much about it, but could you imagine people sitting around talking about what type of whiskey or vodka they had the night before and discussing the different flavors, etc. I never understood the wine crap.
Yep, all of the above. It was my drink of choice, and I was suckered in by the sophistication and that it was "normal", respectable, associated with good food, associated with health, glamorized, and it just went along with the whole writer/artist glamorization that seems to exist. Acceptable in society, and seemingly benign.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've been doing some paleo cooking. Even made a chocolate paleo cake. Very expensive ingredients.
Couple of years ago I made a raw chocolate ganache cake with raspberries... we calculated that cake nearly cost $30!!! Was outrageous really. But wow, was it delicious! I had a raw food blog at the time and posted pics of it... it was probably the most popular blog post I had on there.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Okay y'all...just move to Canada where our government has not yet "ok'ed" the sale of alcohol in our grocery stores (except for Quebec but hey, a lot of them don't want to live in Canada anyway).
But I do get a little twitchy when I pass the cold medicine : )
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Aaaahhh...the good old British nanny state...coming soon to the USA. I'm sure there was a time in the UK when people had a sense of self reliance. I don't want to live in a world where the government decides what is 'good' for me. Once you give it that power, that's it.
I'm Australian, but alcohol has always been banned from supermarkets in my state for as long as I've been alive, and beyond.

Noone's died from this gross invasion of personal liberty...in fact it might have saved a few lives?

D
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've been to London and marveled at the availability of hard liquor in grocery stores. (You can only sell beer and wine in New York City grocers.) I was so taken by this that I had the urge/fantasy to buy a bottle, even though I didn't have cravings and would have given it away or thrown it away (I'm glad I didn't put that to the test); I just wanted to see if I could do it -- buy liquor in a grocery store. I doubt that people who are free from problems with alcohol have such fantasies.

For me, I've learned how to replace and improve my alcoholic thinking with an honest and healthy state of mind, but I've also learned that these old habits never completely die.

Reminds me of that old song, "Always Something There To Remind Me."
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I've been to London and marveled at the availability of hard liquor in grocery stores. (You can only sell beer and wine in New York City grocers.) I was so taken by this that I had the urge/fantasy to buy a bottle, even though I didn't have cravings and would have given it away or thrown it away (I'm glad I didn't put that to the test); I just wanted to see if I could do it -- buy liquor in a grocery store. I doubt that people who are free from problems with alcohol have such fantasies.

For me, I've learned how to replace and improve my alcoholic thinking with an honest and healthy state of mind, but I've also learned that these old habits never completely die.

Reminds me of that old song, "Always Something There To Remind Me."
Visit the Southwest US. Not only can you buy gallons of vodka at the grocery store, you can also buy jello shots at the gas station and cocktails at the drive-thru.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by socallednormal View Post
Visit the Southwest US. Not only can you buy gallons of vodka at the grocery store, you can also buy jello shots at the gas station and cocktails at the drive-thru.
Do they also serve piña coladas and strawberry daiquiris in middle school? Thirty-year-old scotch in the ER?

I do like the southwest, but not enough to regularly avoid grocery shopping, filling my (car's) tank, or waiting in line for my purchases when I could use the drive-thru.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davaidavai View Post
For me, the bottle that makes me want to drink more than others is Bombay gin. I guess whatever marketing equation they have concocted is geared toward people like me. Whatever you do, don't look at Queen Victoria!
It's such a pretty bottle! But gin is the most awful tasting of liquors IMO.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Do they also serve piña coladas and strawberry daiquiris in middle school? Thirty-year-old scotch in the ER?

I do like the southwest, but not enough to regularly avoid grocery shopping, filling my (car's) tank, or waiting in line for my purchases when I could use the drive-thru.
In New Orleans they have drive-through daiquiris.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Noone's died from this gross invasion of personal liberty...in fact it might have saved a few lives?
I can't look at it from an Australian or a British perspective. I can only look at it as a Texan. I fail to see it anywhere in the US or Texas constitutions that it is the government's job to protect stupid people from themselves. I want a government to be a government, not my mother.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I can't look at it from an Australian or a British perspective. I can only look at it as a Texan. I fail to see it anywhere in the US or Texas constitutions that it is the government's job to protect stupid people from themselves. I want a government to be a government, not my mother.
i have libertarian views as well when it comes to that sort of thinking..btw I never heard of a guy go into a grocery or convenience store not thinking he was going to buy cigarettes then saw them displayed behind the counter and only then decided to buy some..I know in NYC mayor Bloomberg is very nanny-stateish. He banned the sale of large sodas and something else I can't remember. As if someone can't just buy more small sodas. I mean he must feel he is really brilliant to make such laws. It's not the end result of these laws it's the phillosphy that goes behind it. I am the government therefore I know whats best for you
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think that what it comes down to is that we as individuals need to be mindful of the effects of advertising on our consumption choices. I usually resist impulse buying, but not always. Suggestions like shopping on a full stomach or avoiding the liquor aisle are useful in those situations.