Notices

I close my eyes when I ...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I close my eyes when I ...

eat chocolate. I'm just about 5 months sober and I've developed a serious chocolate addiction. I know it is joked about and I think it is funny too. But I seriously crave chocolate as much, if not more than, I ever craved alcohol. I literally shut my office door or step into another room. And devour chocolate cookies. I close my eyes, drowing out all other senses than taste. It is freaking euphoria.

At least I'm not drinking. BUT, I will soon weigh 300 pounds. I HAVE TO have chocolate every day. After lunch and after dinner. I go to the gym somewhat regularly so I'm not a disgusting beast yet.

I always liked chocolate, but this is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Anyone else cross that threshold of enjoying chocolate a little bit too much??
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

People who drink for a number of years or who drink large amounts over shorter periods typically experience cravings for sugar. Alcohol contains a lot of sugar, and our bodies metabolize sugar differently over time. When I drank, I never craved sugar, and it was virtually impossible for me to eat sweets.

There's even a paragraph in the AA Big Book that recommends eating chocolate as a way of managing alcohol cravings. If you're concerned enough about your sugar intake, a simple blood test will give you all the information you need. I think it's a good idea for anyone who's put down the drink to have their blood glucose levels measured.

Though eating a lot of sugar may pose health problems in the long run, I'd much rather eat chocolate every day than drink one-to-two liters of vodka instead.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Soooooooooo similar, however I am sinking alarming amounts of ice cream- not entirely without guilt, but its to a noble end.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was ice-cream for me. For about a month I was heavy on the ice-cream
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I wanted sugar in any way. For me it got to the point that I couldn't control it (big surprise). I started to put on a lot of weight so I quit it over a week ago. Talk about "swinging the heavy bat first" after quitting alcohol my Av didn't even put up a fight over the diet change. I have heard there are some good things for you in chocolate.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

No joke, I go to two different stores to buy my ice cream sometimes so they won't see me every day!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm also planning to cut out the sugar. This week it's cigarettes, ice cream soon. So far I haven't noticed too many ill effects, like you exercise seems to keep it from sticking. But there have been a couple of days where I've had a sugar headache and that just makes me feel foolish!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i love white chocolate, but to tell you the truth I didn't have mega sweet cravings when i quit drinking
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep,I quit drinking in 2009,and I think I am finally getting away from chocolate. There for a while I would stop at 3 convenience stores on the way home from work to buy candy bars. Buy chocolate cakes at the store,and eat the whole thing in one sitting. It was just like booze. I had to drink all the booze I could. In turn I had to eat chocolate until I ran out.
I didn't gain any weight to speak of though,but it does screw up your energy level.
But like I say in the last few months for some reason I have lost interest in it. Hopefully that will last. At any rate it beats the hell out of drinking.

Fred
Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SoberJennie...Ice cream is my new booze.
And i never really ate it before.
Its like they just invented it
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
No joke, I go to two different stores to buy my ice cream sometimes so they won't see me every day!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
SoberJennie...Ice cream is my new booze.
And i never really ate it before.
Its like they just invented it
Haha!! I know what you mean.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I actually ate so much ice cream that it really DID become a problem.

Give yourself a break, the sugar craving is normal. But it can and will cause weight gain, anxiety, and blood sugar issues because your body is having to process it all.

I weaned off of it, and now eat VERY LITTLE sugar.

I finally feel better than ever.
In my opinion, the sugar roller coaster and the resultant highs/lows may have contributed to relapse a long time ago.

It was certainly good to look at and deal with, albeit eventually...