Notices

Can't sleep, clown will eat me.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, endgame, I don't disagree that getting some relief is always a good thing, I was just pointing out that the insomnia may well be a side effect of alcohol withdrawal. I think sometimes people panic and think omg this is never going to end. For many of us, thankfully, it does end. But I do realize that others suffer well beyond the detox period. My mom has suffered from insomnia her whole life and alcohol is not a factor with her. She is not a drinker.

I was just like you, in that booze knocked me out but I never felt rested. I think I read that alcohol interferes with REM sleep or something? Can't remember now...but in any event, alcohol is not an effective treatment for insomnia, as restorative sleep will continue to elude as long as booze is present.

Sleep deprivation can be frightening. I experienced it briefly but intensely (about 6 months) when my triplets were born. It was extremely difficult to function at times.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

Yeah, alcohol does disrupt REM sleep and natural sleep patterns generally. This results in dysfunction in major cognitive processes such as memory, attention and concentration, which, in turn disrupts our emotional life. Though when taken in small amounts (I don't even know what that is), alcohol can actually help REM and facilitate deeper sleep.

Another problem is the high amount of sugar in alcohol and the way that our bodies metabolize all that sugar. People often report waking up with what may be described as a "sugar high" after sleeping/being unconscious for a couple of hours. In my case, I treated early awakening with more alcohol.

I have a special place in my heart for people who struggle with insomnia since I've struggled with it for virtually my entire life.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've had a hard time going to bed for as long as I can remember. I just WANT to stay up......all the time. Doesn't matter if I got 2 hrs last night or 12......I kinda hate going to bed.

Early sobriety (I'll call it the first year or so) it was particularly tough to go to bed and equally tough to fall asleep. Somewhere along the way I heard someone talking about the 10th step promises in an AA meeting. They referred to the one that reads "And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone—." It occurred to me that I was "fighting" sleeping. The next thought was "maybe I shouldn't be fighting my insomnia and even though all of 'them' seem to go to bed and sleep at night maybe I should just stay up, do something, and skip sleeping." So..... I started listening to my body and stopped trying to conform to what everyone else was doing. I started staying up if I couldn't sleep. Sure, I might be a little tired at work in the morning but at least I wasn't full of anxiety and feeling guilty about not being able to sleep.

Like others have said.....it more-or-less straightened out over time.

To this day though, several years into recovery and at 44yrs old, I still don't usually get more than 4 or 5hrs sleep per night. Evidently that's normal for ME.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
I've been drinking just about 10 years, Dee. If I try to have an alcohol free night I end up tossing and turning in bed for God only knows. There is a certain moment when you stop staring at the clock, and it starts staring back at you.
It took me two long weeks before I was able to sleep through the night. Since that point on I have never slept better. Put up with it for a bit and I am sure you'll reap the reward of actual proper sleep. If you have been drinking for 10 years you probably haven't experienced that in a long time. Trust me, it's ace. If after a month you still can't sleep then something else is going on and it is probably not anything to do with alcohol. Let us know how you get on x
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I used to have major insomnia problems, not so much achieving sleep as I would sleep for 2-3 hours and then be up the rest of the night, or fading in and out of consciousness.

my method right now is to a) stay away from screens (TV, computer, phone, etc) for at least an hour, preferably two before bed; b) take a shower within an hour of sleeping; c) reading for 30 minutes to an hour before sleeping. I also take 6mg of over-the-counter melatonin about 15-30 mins before attempting to sleep.

the most important thing is to build some sort of routine and stay away from the screens. 'sleep hygiene'
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by aNewEternity View Post
the most important thing is to build some sort of routine and stay away from the screens. 'sleep hygiene'
Love your "routine." Melatonin is not only good for sleep, but has mood-enhancing properties as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I use a combination of Melatonin, Valerian root and Chamomile tea. I have also used Klonopin every now and then for more than ten years. It's not something I've ever abused, but I did notice that whenever I used it for two weeks in a row, I'd have withdrawals. I tapered off within a week, and nowadays use it maybe 3 times a week.

Ymmv
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
2 lives in 1

In the very beginning of my sobriety insomnia was a killer. I wasn't able to stop all of the racing thoughts. Prayer helped immensely as well as listening to relaxing musics or rain sounds while I went to sleep.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Yes, endgame, I don't disagree that getting some relief is always a good thing, I was just pointing out that the insomnia may well be a side effect of alcohol withdrawal. I think sometimes people panic and think omg this is never going to end. For many of us, thankfully, it does end. But I do realize that others suffer well beyond the detox period. My mom has suffered from insomnia her whole life and alcohol is not a factor with her. She is not a drinker.

I was just like you, in that booze knocked me out but I never felt rested. I think I read that alcohol interferes with REM sleep or something? Can't remember now...but in any event, alcohol is not an effective treatment for insomnia, as restorative sleep will continue to elude as long as booze is present.

Sleep deprivation can be frightening. I experienced it briefly but intensely (about 6 months) when my triplets were born. It was extremely difficult to function at times.
Yeah, soberlicious...booze really kills REM. The alcoholic sleep isn't very restful or healing. After about a week of so of insomnia and restless fitful sleep, I started sleeping more. After abusing alcohol which denies REM, the brain makes up for it by going into REM for up to 60-70% (this is what I remember from a class in rehab).

This high level of REM, which is associated with dreams, leads to vivid, realistic dreaming and a lot of it. The normal level is 20-some percent. I found I was sleeping pretty well a couple weeks in and I'm sleeping a solid 7-8 hours now.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i've used melatonin a few times to promote sleep. i've also had a sleep study which revealed i have severe sleep apnea. if you're still not sleeping better after being sober for a while seeing a sleep doctor might be a good idea and a sleep study can provide great insight into problems like apnea and problems with sleep stages.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
Exercise, lots of.
I second this one ... do push ups until your totally exhausted ...

I also watch TV until I just doze off ...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can empathize, as I've had bouts of insomnia since my teens and it got worse with age. It was one of the things that attracted me to alcohol, which backfired, of course.....

If it's related to withdrawal, it should resolve itself, but if not, there ARE options out there. I sought help from a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

exercise exercise exercise exercise exercise exercise

Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by john44
After abusing alcohol which denies REM, the brain makes up for it by going into REM for up to 60-70% (this is what I remember from a class in rehab).

This high level of REM, which is associated with dreams, leads to vivid, realistic dreaming and a lot of it. The normal level is 20-some percent.
Ok, this is very interesting. It's many years since I've used alcohol or any drugs, but I do remember right after quitting I began dreaming like crazy, just as you describe. I hadn't dreamt in years at all (makes sense now in light of what you're saying). Thanks for posting that.

After a few years of good sleep, my sleep patterns starting changing again. That was due to hormonal changes of peri menopause...so for women that can be a factor too.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh and also, the first few days in rehab, they recommended a drug called Trazadone for sleep. My first night there, I didn't sleep at all. The second night, I took Trazadone, fell asleep but had the weirdest dreams I've ever had in my life. I took the stuff two more days and stopped. Dreams were weird for awhile but by 2 weeks or so I was sleeping well.