Notices

A rattlesnake in my hand!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A rattlesnake in my hand!

That's literally how I felt today when I was handed a beer at a party. It was a feeling of panic like I haven't had since my last hangover when I realized it was time to quit, 15 days ago. I said thank you to the person who gave it to me, carried it outside to the yard and left it there on a table. Somebody else drank it later. After about a half hour I felt much better and in fact, I was able to have a lot of fun without drinking a drop of alcohol. Imagine that! Getting sober can be a rollercoaster ride, but the moments of peace and joy grow each day and are so much sweeter each time.
I do think the panic was a fear of drinking because I'm holding on to my 15 sober days like they're made of gold, and really, for me they're much more valuable than all the gold in the world.
Hope everyone is having a great, sober weekend,

June
Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job, those are the situations I worry about. Getting sober and having my drunk friends offer me alcohol. You should be proud though.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations!! Each time it gets easier.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's the way it works successfully, one day, moment at a time. BE WELL
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done. That’s exactly the way.

Have to ask though, what were you thinking being at a party where there was booze being served?

The brain is a devious tool. To get what it wants it will lie to you, it will guide you to places you don’t want to go, it will manipulate your conscious decision making in ways you really can’t imagine.

Well done avoiding the snake, but next time, stay away from snakes in the first place. If booze is not available you can be as tempted as you like and there is no harm can be done.

15 days is awesome. keep racking them up.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! I do feel like it was a small victory against the alcohol monster.
Degadar, it was my sister's party, so I couldn't really say no since we're a pretty tight family. I do have a drinking family, so I have to learn how to be around their drinking. I didn't really go to parties or bars anyway, other than my family's. My drinking was done mostly at home, in hiding pretty much...so that's been my biggest challenge in quitting- not stopping by the liquor store on the way home on Thursday and Friday nights...

June
Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
Thanks, everyone! I do feel like it was a small victory against the alcohol monster.
Degadar, it was my sister's party, so I couldn't really say no since we're a pretty tight family. I do have a drinking family, so I have to learn how to be around their drinking. I didn't really go to parties or bars anyway, other than my family's. My drinking was done mostly at home, in hiding pretty much...so that's been my biggest challenge in quitting- not stopping by the liquor store on the way home on Thursday and Friday nights...

June
You’ve identified your habits, that’s brilliant. Once you’ve done that it’s pretty straightforward to put road-blocks in the way to stop you retracing the steps that lead you to the wrong actions before.

Change your route home so you avoid your familiar liquor store completely. Or maybe swap the stop off at Starbucks (other coffee shops are available) in stead so you can hijack the bad routine and turn it into something else.

Your alcoholic brain will be planning on making you run out of something innocent that you can pick up on the way home to get you back into the liquor store. Being ready for it makes it possible to avoid slipping.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great advice, Degadar! You really get it. My alcoholic brain does scream when I drive by the many different liquor stores I used to visit (I made sure to rotate a lot so the store clerks wouldn't get to know me too much. Crazy what alcoholics do!!) So I'm learning the tricks to not listen to it. There's definitely some legwork in quitting, but I'm finding the changes refreshing. My life had turned into a drunk version of the Groundhog's Day movie. Pathetic!!

June
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's a massive victory. Well done. A challenge I sadly failed yesterday.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
My alcoholic brain does scream when I drive by the many different liquor stores I used to visit (I made sure to rotate a lot so the store clerks wouldn't get to know me too much. Crazy what alcoholics do!!) So I'm learning the tricks to not listen to it.
So empowering for you, JuneGirl. Very well done. We really need to be able to slow the world down in situations like the one you described, and be precisely and acutely aware of our present moment. I describe it as allowing ourselves some emotional space around our thoughts. They come in to our awareness, and we allow them to be for a moment, with no imperative for action.

Congratulations to you.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats! It's one step at a time.

I hope you reach the point with your family and friends that you can say no the next time someone offers you alcohol.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A year after I quit my mother gave me a bottle of beer for Christmas. Just in case I "fancied a small one”.

You can tell people you’ve quit but that doesn’t mean they’ll necessarily understand. We have to make the journey ourselves and certainly can’t rely on others or blame them if we fail.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ClearLight,

I've been saying no to my family and friends, but as Degadar said, some of them just don't seem to understand. I think it's because this person, who basically shoved the beer into my hand when I'd just walked in, has a drinking problem himself. He's my sister's partner, so I can't avoid him altogether, but I know now to stay away as much as possible, especially right now when it's still so early in my sobriety. Aahhh, this is definitely work...

June
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Freshstart,

I love how you view the situation. Did you learn that in AVRT? I don't know a thing about AVRT so I may want to do some reading on that.

June
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Beautiful job. I've had to be around alcohol a couple of times in my "baby sobriety"...cuz well, I can't go live in a cave (if I did, well I'd have to get drunk).
I get so darn happy when I ENJOY myself at social events WITHOUT alcohol..it's like I'm cheating the system! Wahoo!! Look at me having fun for free!!! No hangover..no making an idiot of myself...no danger...yadda yadda. "Do other people know about this???" ..you don't need to drink!!! It's awesome.

Good job.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Junegirl, you are FANTASTIC, you didn't drink it. Good for you, proud of ya. Early on I told everybody I quit and went I meet new people I hurt their ears with in the hopes they will leave me alone, and believe me Junegirl there are plenty of people out there who will go out of there way to trip you up, including friends and family members, so do your best to stay away from the rattlesnakes. Rootin or ya.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, lol! That pretty much says it. Fun without a hefty price to pay! Who knew? Not me. Just finding out now.
Yes, Nefer, I agree that whenever possible, it's best to just choose healthier environments altogether. I don't think anyone around me is trying to trip me up out of malice, but I'm not taking chances...if you see a pot of crazy, don't go over to it and stir it up, right?

June
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Junegirl

D
Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Junegirl. I like the rattlesnake comparison - quite accurate.