Notices

A rattlesnake in my hand!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi JuneGirl, I think what I was describing is generally described as mindfulness, being aware of ourselves and how our present moment is affecting us, without judgement or engagement. This gives us that insulation, that protective space, that allows us to bring our natural inherent abilities, our rational power, to bear. Sometimes I try to look at myself as though I were watching things as a viewer or an outsider, if this makes any sense.

AVRT is a specific example of this, to my way of thinking. Once we recognize our thoughts as trying to direct us to drinking, or to doubting our ability to remain sober in any situation through a mindful awareness, AVRT tells us to separate from them as not being 'us'. Once we become aware of these thought, we can understand that they come from our misguided pleasure drive, which really has no control over our muscles and our actions.

We know what we want, we know what we will do. We will stay sober for good, no matter what.

AVRT and Rational Recovery has its own website, easy to find. Much of the information there is free, and I recommend The Crash Course as the perfect starting point. There is lots more information and discussion about this type of approach to sobriety in the Secular Connections forum. Believe in yourself and your ability to do this, and you will succeed. I believe in you, and I know that you will do this. You really do have the power to quit drinking for good. Onward!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats junegirl for putting that beer down. For me it would be like someone handing me a loaded gun and saying here, shoot yourself. Beleave me it would be easy to set it down on the table. Your 15 days in. Its gonna get fun. Sobriety is a total treat girl. Enjoy this ride we call life. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, freshstart. Very interesting. I'll definitely look into it. I see that there's been no mindfulness in my life at all since I started drinking heavily. I know I allowed the "misguided pleasure drive" to take control and I need to take control back- I think I've already started to...

June