Notices

Needing a miracle

Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing a miracle

11 months sober to the day. Wedding tonight. I am NOT ready for this, but if I don't go there will be a **** storm with me in the centre. Going to need a miracle to not relapse.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not your wedding I hope. Take a sober friend with you and don't stay too long.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, not my wedding. A friend of my partners. People from all over the world are here for it, so not going isn't an option. My mother in law would never forgive me.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

why do you feel unready Kris?

D
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have an exit plan, there is no shame in leaving early if your sobriety's threatened. Sometimes we are also pleasantly surprised, what we think is going to be a big deal ends up being easier than we think.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Like the others said, have a plan. Is your partner going to be sober? Drink water or soda, focus on the foods and the decor, leave when people start hitting it. You can do it!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be careful!!! I got drunk last weekend at my sistere's wedding rehearsal and everyone could tell. There had been a lot of booze around the night before and that is when I started loosing control. Well, I was supposed to be the maid of honor but come Sunday morning (wedding day and despite having sobered up) I was dis-invited. I'm still heartbroken and humiliated. Have a plan!!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have 11 solid months to your credit!! Is this the first time going to a social event where alcohol is in supply? Why do you feel a relapse is imminent? Are you stressed out about something other than temptation? Has pressure been mounting awhile? Having you been considering relapse before today???
Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
You have 11 solid months to your credit!! Is this the first time going to a social event where alcohol is in supply? Why do you feel a relapse is imminent? Are you stressed out about something other than temptation? Has pressure been mounting awhile? Having you been considering relapse before today???
Yes, last night was the first social event I've been to where alcohol is readily flowing. I was afraid because it was open bar and caterers were pouring wine at dinner. All I said was "no" when they asked if I wanted wine with dinner, and that was it! (We also left a bit early, and I was never far from my partner all night, for moral support).

I have been seeing a psychologist, and as we "peel the onion" of pain, as she says, all these old feelings are bubbling to the surface (Feelings about childhood abandonment, abuse, neglect, etc.). So I have been dealing with that, and it has been INTENSE. (Father + bride dance set me to crying all the way home, because I have never known such a loving relationship with my father or stepfather). Sometimes I think it would be easier to drink and not have to feel these things, which is where I was last night.

But lo and behold, on the morning after the wedding, I am 11 months and 1 day sober
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
why do you feel unready Kris?

D
I'm in a bit of a fragile state right now. Working through a lot of past traumas with a psychologist. But as of 7:28 AM this morning I am still sober, and I still get my 1-year cake in a month
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very well done for abstaining.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Excellent work! You CAN control your AV. He is but a lizard-brain up against the child of a Most High God!