Notices

Day 5 and bored

Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Day 5 and bored

Today, once I get through it sober, will be day 5 for me. Yesterday I came so close to buying some vodka, my fav. I have a lot of trouble waiting around for an AA meeting after work before I go home. Down time is my trigger. I live out of town so I can't just go home and relax until the next meeting. Anyway, I just went home so I wouldn't go to one of my many liquor stores. I'm still angry and depressed, but I mostly feel empty, lonely and very bored. I don't enjoy much without my drink. Can anyone relate or give me some ideas?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang on! AA has many tools for today and lifetime. Talk to your sponsor, go early to meetings, get involved at meetings, stay after meetings and talk to people and clean up, think about NOT drinking, listen, start studying the steps + KEEP COMING. BE WELL
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank for 30+ years and after getting into a habit like that. Quitting was like loosing a loved one. I didn't know what to do with my time,or just what to do. The addiction takes a while to break also,not to mention that plain old habits are hard to break,whether addicted habits or not.
Give it some time. Once the addiction starts to loose it's grip you will start noticing things (good things).
For me it was all so worth it to get the monkey off my back. I never realized how much he was running my life until I had been sober a few months and looked back at the whole picture. Wondering what had I been thinking all of those years. Well ,it's obvious the monkey was doing a major part of my thinking .
I wish you the best.....

Fred
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
I'm still angry and depressed, but I mostly feel empty, lonely and very bored. I don't enjoy much without my drink. Can anyone relate or give me some ideas?
My suggestion...wait more than five days before you expect some miracle turnaround in your thinking and your emotions and in how you feel.

Find something to do to take your mind off of not drinking. It doesn't have to be the most fulfilling, exciting, un-boring thing in the world. It just has to keep you occupied during your down time.

In time, you will enjoy yourself. Be patient. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm still angry and depressed, but I mostly feel empty, lonely and very bored. I don't enjoy much without my drink. Can anyone relate or give me some ideas?
Keep going to your AA meetings regularly. Do you have a home group and sponsor?

Ask the oldtimers in your group what they did in the beginning to overcome their old habits and get to the point where they appreciated/accepted normal life .

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for a walk in the meantime. People watch.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sure....I think around Day 5 I was feeling better in all departments....when binge drinking perfect time to go on another jag....

Not being trite....but do something that's not boring!

keep in contact with sober friends they need you as much as you they.

Most days I either talk with my sponsor and sponsee by 8 am, and usually txt or call them later in the day.

We usually don't talk much about anything heavy.....just how we are doing, what are our plans for the day, going to a meeting?, talk about kids....if needed go to a meeting...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today, once I get through it sober, will be day 5 for me. Yesterday I came so close to buying some vodka, my fav. I have a lot of trouble waiting around for an AA meeting after work before I go home. Down time is my trigger. I live out of town so I can't just go home and relax until the next meeting. Anyway, I just went home so I wouldn't go to one of my many liquor stores. I'm still angry and depressed, but I mostly feel empty, lonely and very bored. I don't enjoy much without my drink. Can anyone relate or give me some ideas?
Kayla....your emotions are pretty raw and thinking dulled a bit at Day 5.

You just came off a hard jag and some serious problems with the wedding.

Was that your last drink...at the hotel?

I wouldn't be too concerned with being bored or triggers....

Really best for you might be eating nutritiously, getting as much rest as possible, journaling....

going back to basics....if you haven't already....see a Dr. or GNP
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

Oh that little red mad face is a perfect emoticon. I felt like that a lot at the start.

One way I thought about what was happening to my brain that helped... so your brain's been flooded with excess dopamine and seratonin all the time from the drinking. It's gotten used to a really high level and now it's harder to register normal levels.

I kind of think of it like getting out of a really loud concert and waiting for your ears to go back to normal. Everything sounds muffled for a little bit.

When you have some time, you'll start to enjoy things again.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 6 here. I almost grabbed a bottle of wine today. I admit, I feel more alive when I'm buzzed, but I'm hoping that'll pass. I hope to forget the feeling of being buzzed someday. I don't like being terribly drunk, but I love being buzzed all evening. But buzzed can too easily turn to drunk and a good drunk time can too easily turn into a miserable drunk time.