Notices

Is Sobriety Overated???

Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
no.

My opinion?

Your problems not sobriety Just - its the mass of resentments, expectations and dissatisfaction you obviously feel.

Until you decide all those things are problems you need to fix, and you decide to deal with that....I think it's going to be very hard for you to be happy and content, irrespective of whether you're drunk or sober.

D
yup ditto,tritto,fourto,fitto
Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I guess I have quite a bit to think about. I think this thread is about done.
And there you have what bothers me about these types of threads.

Someone comes on and looks for attention by posting something they know will heat people up.

Often it's something like the poster is so sure that moderation will work if people just had the discipline. Or, like this thread, they say that sobriety is boring. Or they won't have any friends if they're sober. Or life isn't fair so they deserve a drink...or two... or five.

And then, when the poster has gotten their fill of attention, they call it a day and wander off.

What bothers me is that somebody just waking up to their problem could read this stuff and take it seriously. They don't realize it's just somebody willing to post ANYTHING just to get some attention. And that could lead to months of additional needless pain.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Dave, it's a little hard for me not to play the role of a victim. I have a criminal record that seems to haunt me. I am currently appealing the decision of the denial of my chauffer license. Being able to drive a taxi/limo would allow me to make a real income. Should a DUI from 10+ years ago really matter? I know a commercial pilot in AA who went to rehab and kept his job! He had even admitted to flying whiling under the influence! At what point will the past let go of it's grip? The thing is I cannot even be a good alcoholic anymore. The last slip lasted only a few days & I was off to detox.
Justfor1, IMO you have a lot of self-pity and resentment. I understand--the world can be very unfair, but you're not the only person who experiences unfairness. We all do at some time in our lives.

IMO you need to stay sober and work on your self-pity and resentment. Fight to overcome it. Those emotions are poison; being rid of them is a goal you may want to set for yourself.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Is Sobriety Overrated???
No.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=ClearLight;4044146]And there you have what bothers me about these types of threads.
Someone comes on and looks for attention by posting something they know will heat people up.

I'm actually looking for help. My sobriety periods have not been filled with rainbows and unicorns. My mental health issues continue in sobriety. My legal problems continue in sobriety. Painting a picture to the newcomer that everything is wonderful in sobriety is very dangerous.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

if ya look back on past threads ya started, theres a lot of help already offered.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
if ya look back on past threads ya started, theres a lot of help already offered.
I will ask for help again and again. This is a life or death situation for me. IMO, the majority of people who are members here are not in the late stages of addiction. I believe I am so perhaps I need extra help.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm not familiar with the previous comments you made, but it does sound as though it's time for you to act on your own behalf. Support is great and also necessary, but even the best intentions can take us only so far.

There's debate around who actually said it -- Albert Einstein or Thomas Edison -- but that's not important: "Vision without execution is hallucination."

You get out in front of your legal, alcohol and mental health issues, you're building a stronger and a better you.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thomas Edison also said: "I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways it won't work."
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work.

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.

There is no substitute for hard work.

I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others... I find out what the world needs, then I proceed to invent....

As a cure for worrying, work is far better than whiskey. I always found that, if I began to worry, the best thing I could do was focus upon doing something useful and then work very hard at it. Soon, I would forget what was troubling me.

Barring serious accidents, if you are not preoccupied with worry and you work hard, you can look forward to a reasonably lengthy existence.... Its not the hard work that kills, its the worrying that kills.

all from Thomas A Edison.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Speaking as someone who was sober for a year and a bit, and then messed up a few days ago and is now going through the final stages of a horrendous withdraw.......I would give anything to have a lifetime of perfectly ordinary sober days over the nightmare I just went through. Being normal and sober, for me, is the best high there is!

I wish you the best of luck on staying sober, because I would not wish the drunk life on anyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

the end results don't look to pretty

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good point made tomsteve

when I sobered up this last time
I was willing to do anything so as to get and stay sober
when any good suggestions came my way
I jumped at the chance to escape the pit of hell

been in and out of the Program for a very long time
and
have seen so many die
not to speak of the ones who went back out and are now in prison

I guess we come to terms with this thing when we are
truly willing
and
realize that this is no joke
for a drinking and using addict such as I was
the end results don't look pretty
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

One last question here. Are we not suppose to talk about the many struggles one finds themselves with when they get sober? I mean are we just suppose to share how perfect & wonderful sobriety is? I really don't mean to upset people. I just speak about the cold and harsh reality that sobriety is not always fun or easy. I realize today that my family & friends have moved on in the world while I was stuck in a haze of alcohol/drugs. It's like I don't even know where 10+ years have gone! It is frightening.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I will ask for help again and again. This is a life or death situation for me. IMO, the majority of people who are members here are not in the late stages of addiction. I believe I am so perhaps I need extra help.
Well, I can assure you that I am. Like you, I can only go a few days drinking now and then it's off to a detox. If nothing else, is that how you want to live? Really? I've had a heart attack, kidney stones and personally, I find withdrawal from alcohol orders of magnitude more painful than either of those experiences. And that's only the physical pain. I'd think that just being free of that horror would be enough to make sobriety "worth it".
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

So, if sobriety is a question of life or death, what you're really asking, is "Is life overrated??"
Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I'm actually looking for help.
It appears to me you're really just looking for attention. That's why you titled the the thread "Is Sobriety Overrated???".
That's not a call for help. That's a child stamping their feet wanting attention.
That's why you've titled other threads "I Dislike Sobriety...".
and ".Blaming Others For Relapse......" where you said,
What exactly is wrong with blaming other for picking up a drink? I know that, in the end, the responsibility falls back on me. However, when I relapsed & told the bartender that I hadn't had a drink in nearly a year she still served me a cold beer. Doesn't she bare some responsibility on serving responsibly? After a few hours of guzzling booze at the bar & stumbling around getting obnoxious I'm sure she regretted her decision. Why must the alcoholic take 100% of the blame always? I take 75% of the blame but the bartender should get 15% of the blame & perhaps the advertisements get 5%.
I just don't see you asking for help.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

One last question here. Are we not suppose to talk about the many struggles one finds themselves with when they get sober? I mean are we just suppose to share how perfect & wonderful sobriety is? I really don't mean to upset people. I just speak about the cold and harsh reality that sobriety is not always fun or easy. I realize today that my family & friends have moved on in the world while I was stuck in a haze of alcohol/drugs. It's like I don't even know where 10+ years have gone! It is frightening.
I started drinking in my mid-teens and woke up in a recovery home in 1989 looking in the mirror at 45 with my father staring back at me. What happened !!??!!

1989 to today has been no "stroll in the park" but it has continued to improve just like the AA oldtimers told me it would if I committed to the program.

I pass along the same guarantee.

And if it doesn't continue to improve don't look at the program .. look at you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I think "looking for attention" is perhaps my way of asking for extra help. Perhaps it is a negative way of doing? I will tone down the manner of my thread topics in the future then. I do not want to harm the newcomer. In fact, I think at times, I do try & help other folks here. You will have to look hard but you will find those posts.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I will put it another way.

Getting sober is worth it.

But like most things that are truly worth it, it is hard work.

As addicts, we want instant gratification.
We dont like our mood, we take a pill.
Someone pisses us off, we drink.

So really, it is a paradigm shift in attitude that you need to transform and become sober.
It only STARTS with not putting bottle to lips.

It gets a little bit better day after sometimes miserable day.

And along the way, you will stumble, and struggle. Cause thats life.

So, with all due respect, be an adult, and deal with the emotions, the wreckage youve created, the relationships youve neglected, the finances youve destroyed, and little by little, things will get better.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

You know what hasn't worked, so don't go back to it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Almost 100 responses to this thread and you have "thanked" 9 of them.

Maybe life is so hard for you because you lack gratitude.