Notices

experiencing anxiety

Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

experiencing anxiety

I am experiencing some anxiety lately that I may get the idea to drink or the cravings may come back and that I wont be able to deal with them. I haven't talked much with my sponsor about this. She told me to call her and talk to her and to keep going to meetings and calling people. I am stopping one of my medicines under the doctors supervision and I am just scared to death I will get unstable again and want to drink again.

I have grown in the program but lately I feel like I am not growing lately just stuck where I am. I don't know if anyone understands this.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand this.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I am experiencing some anxiety lately that I may get the idea to drink or the cravings may come back and that I wont be able to deal with them. I haven't talked much with my sponsor about this. She told me to call her and talk to her and to keep going to meetings and calling people. I am stopping one of my medicines under the doctors supervision and I am just scared to death I will get unstable again and want to drink again.

I have grown in the program but lately I feel like I am not growing lately just stuck where I am. I don't know if anyone understands this.
I understand you. This is where you need faith and commitment. Stay "on the beam" and keep talking to your sponsor and the oldtimers.

In our "gray days" we tend to want to change things because we are uncomfortable. We think we have to change something .. or fall back to our drinking. Just stay the course, all will be well. This too shall pass.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand, too. When I quit drinking, my anxiety and fear went away. But, I think it's synapeses in our brain which make us believe drinking will alleviate the anxiety, when in truth, the day after it will only be worse.

I've been through this cycle many times. Anxiety drove me to the bottle and the day after was a living death of anxiety so I drank more. This is a key element that led me to alcoholism.

Cravings are just that. A will to drink, when in reality it'll make things only worse.
You're doing a good job of dealing with it, and remember, you never have to pick up that first drink.

Best to you.