Notices

Recovery friends

Old 05-21-2004, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

MG, thank you for the link! i will check it out!
Old 05-22-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you are on the right track for YOU! Congratulations. I too am doing it " My Way" I am reading a book called: The Easyway to Controll Alcohol by : Allen Carr. I got it online through Amazon. I am 3/4 of the way thorough and haven't had a drink now in 10 days or so. Honestly I've lost track. I guess it's just not in my to obsess about the time frame. All I can say is so far so good and I'm glad that I have found an alternative. I just hope it continues. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree RD...

I know I can't make it alone, and the people here so far have helped me very much...

I am waiting for "Recovery by Choice" to arrive in the mail..Having books available for order online is a great resource...

Lately I have been more busy at work with the nicer weather and that is great but takes me away from the computer more also...I hope to be back more soon...

Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 04:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi mike, MG, im, middle, hadenuff. how are you guys doing! im doing well.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

I am doing well Dot, thanks for asking...
I just got "Recovery by Choice" in the mail today I am going to start reading at lunch time...I am approaching 90 days and I have been having more ups and down lately...people have told me this is normal and even some of what I have read about post acute withdrawl indicates that the every 30 day cycle can bring about some uneasiness.

The strange part for me is feeling things I haven't ever before, such as being quick tempered. Even at my heaviest drinking I never had a temper, I was more of a mellow quiet, dopey drinker and when in between drinks I was more anxious than I was angry.

Lately I have been having to catch myself as my temper gets up quickly. Maybe this is because I am feeling all sorts of things that I never did before, I always choked it back with alcohol…

Yesterday I had to meet my boss in the field and it was a 2 hour drive that took me 2-1/2 because I got behind a slow movin' construction vehicle and could not pass it. This made me curse and swear, I never do this….My boss was understandiing, didn't matter too much that I was late…I don't know why it came out of the blue…at least my blood pressure is staying normal….

Mike
Old 05-26-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I get that way too Mike..

I think that the "appropriate" use of venting frustrations is healthy. I'm glad you didn't feel it necessary to ram the other vehicle off the road though the consequences outweigh the temporary satisfaction.. lol .

I've been doing the clean lifestyle for 13 years, I still get frustrated with other drivers and sometimes cast aspersions on them, and my blood pressure is perfectly normal. Part of it is human nature, something that as alkies and addicts we tried to deny. My mother used to curse other drivers out when she was in her 70's. Now she's 82 and rarely drives anymore and when she does she's the one getting cursed.

I'm a staunch supporter of the 12 step process, Narcotics Anonymous in particular, and while I give a large ammount of the credit for my recovery to NA, I've read the line in their literature that says they don't have a corner on the recovery market. In fact they suggest that at times it may be necessary to look elsewhere for solutions. You could say that there are those who should be grateful NA helped me get openminded enough to recognize that the mechanics involved in the recovery process exist in many manifestations. Like the bumper sticker my friend has that says "My God is too large and infinite and therefore exists beyond the boundaries of a single religion"

For me I sort of recognize the program as one of those multi tools .. I use it's components often as they are convenient and compact enoug to carry around wit hme.. I have a multi tool I carry on my bike. Back in my garage I have 3 tool boxes full of wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, clamps... etc. etc.

Anybody else ever read :

"Beyond the 12 steps" by Lynn Grabhorn

"When Society Becomes an Addict" Anne Wilson Schaef

"Excuse Me Your Life is Waiting ( the astonishing power of feelings)" Lynn Grabhorn

"What You can Change and What You Can't" Martin E.P. Seligman PHD

"Mastering Your Moods ( recognizing your emotional style and making it work for you)
Dr. Melvyn Kinder

"The Spirituality of Imperfection" Ernest Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham

and one of my favorites (the title says it all )

"How to want What You Have" Timothy Miller PHD
Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hi mike,

during the first few months i was very quick tempered. i am still now, but not as extreme. hang in there! i dislike traffic too ... especially those people who dont use blinkers. arg! another thing i noticed that has improved lately is that "butterflies" in my stomache ... you know, like when your sitting in the office at 4:35 and you get that feeling like you cant wait to get a hit (or a drink). i get that way when i am really stressed, but its not an every day occurance now. congrats on getting close to 90 days! that is wonderful! let me know how you like the recovery by choice book.

hugs,

dot
Old 05-28-2004, 06:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Thanks for what you said Gooch it helps. I was so angry at the person working on the road just doing his job and not meaning to screw up my life that I was going to write a letter to the State to complain. Now I am thinking that I should write and say what a good job they are doing in a tuff situation. Thinking about my higher power and being grateful for an opportunity to live life helps me regain my perspective on these kinds of situations.

I think we all need to be open minded. My recovery friends are the most open minded and honest people that I know. I am glad this thread is not turning into a silly debate over how one persons methods are better than others. My recovery is not based on someone else's religious zeal or conviction. It is my personal journey.

And I like your tool analogy Gooch. I have in the poast borrowed tools from friends and am always willing to lend one as well. I bet you have tools that are unique to your motorcycle just as I have tools that are unique to my car. sometimes we need to use someone else's tools to get through a situation.thanks for posting the list of books?I am going to have lots to read this summer.

Hi Dot. hope your doing well...I am getting better..these ups and downs are temporary and I have fewer extremes lately. I am going to read "Recovery by Choice" today (I hope) my work has been busy lately and that is good!

89 days today!!

Mike
Old 05-28-2004, 07:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi, Mike,
A couple of books I found useful are:
Alcohol, How To Give It Up and Be Glad You Did, by Philip Tate
Addiction, Change, and Choice: The New View of Alcoholism, by Vince Fox

I have heard great feedback on Tom Horvath's book Sex, Drugs, Gambling, and Chocolate, and Anne Fletcher's Sober For Good

They are available via SMART Recovery at
http://www.smartrecovery.org/Merchan...tegory_Code=BV

Don S
Old 05-28-2004, 05:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

mike,

hello. glad things are going better! busy is good! have a great weekend and rock on.

hugs and prayers,

dot
Old 05-28-2004, 08:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Buffalo & Dot & Don & Gooch and all,
Just checking in on a Friday night. That reading list is getting longer and longer. I've been adding all your good suggestions to a Word document and it looks like my Amazon bill is going to be HUGE! I ordered one this week already, but since I've had two recommendations for the Ann Fletcher book (Sober For Good) I guess I'll order that one next.

BTW, I really like the analogies you guys are making about the tools. I totally agree that the tools for recovery are only limited by out ability to reach out and grab them. I've made use of AA, God, Smart Recovery, therapy and group therapy in my quest for sobriety and have every intention of reusing these and any others I find on the way. Sober Recovery dot com is another tool and I use it daily!!

It's great to hear from you guys!
RD
Old 05-30-2004, 01:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Rd

sounds good, we can never have too many tools.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

i agree IM, good analogies! hey mike, MG, had, and everyone else ... how are you guys? hope you are doing well!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

books

Hi Mike and everyone reading this.

I discovered a book that kicked me straight up the a** and pulled no punches about my drinking. It is fabulous and the first thing I reach for at a bad moment. It's by an English author;
The Effective Way To Stop Drinking by Beauchamp Colclough
ISBN:0-140-26664-X

Hope you find it if you look for it, it's straight talking and from the heart.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, welcome mrs mipsy

Hi Dot…glad you keep coming back…I have read so many of your posts and find that you continue to be an inspiration to me and I am sure so many others here…You Rock!

I read most of the workbook, Recovery by Choice and I really like it. Using this book I can continue in a program for myself that is best suited to me. I think this book will be helpful because I can refer to it daily…in fact maybe several times per day…It is very practical and is exactly what I need…I am not intending this thread to be a book review thread, but that is not necessarily a bad idea if OK with the moderators…

A workbook approach is good for me because I am a person that works well with written materials, schedules, spreadsheets and visual tools…It is how I best arrange my thoughts. Maybe why I also like this Forum so much!

I am eager to learn as much as I can…one thing that keeps coming to me is how much I am like so many other people in the ways I drank, concealed my drinking, the health problems I developed including anxiety attacks etc…I have read that on the 30 day anniversaries of our sobriety date for at least the first year we will have rough times…this has been true for me, like clockwork.

I am now on day 95, I had some difficulty last week, as I approached 90 days…now I am doing so much better…I will be ready at 120 days with knowledge (=power) to help me through…

I have a vacation coming up in August, it would usually be a time for me to go to the beach and drink continuously…this year I am planning a lot more activities…It feels good to be able to think about driving without the withdrawl and hangover pains and not planning how I am going to conceal a couple 1.75 liter bottles in my suitcase.

Mike
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Paused

Still,dont no what I, need in this battle.Ive tried A.A.3or4 times.Thanks for posting some other items to try.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

hey mike,

congrats on your 95 days! that is so great! i think you rock too. this thread was a pleasent surprise ... no program thumping, just a lot of ideas getting tossed around. i like your idea about the workbook. i have used a recovery workbook in the past (forgot the name) but when i looked back it was neat to see my progress and the different ways i view things now. ive had the 30 day freak outs. it happened on my one year too. but i rocked on ... just had to hang on for dear life, haha. thats neat that you are planning some fun stuff to do over summer. i havent really planned anything, i think i might just make some plans! i was just so relieved that the semester was over i didnt care what i did! LOL ... as long as i am clean and sober. its been nice "getting to know you" on here!

hugs,

dot

WELCOME TAXAS1!