Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Emotionally Dealing with my first DUI...some help?

Notices

Emotionally Dealing with my first DUI...some help?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=ElegantlyWasted;4036553) So point being; the laws are what they are, and we ultimately need to use common sense with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

I agree common sense should be used. I think drunk driving is dangerous but the laws seem to continue to target the social drinker or those in the beginning stages of alcoholism. What can the State do to someone who gets their 6th or 10th DUI? They already revoked their license for life yet they continue to drive. Put them in prison? No room and judges have tough decisions. Would society rather have the drunk on the road or the rapist/armed robber in prison???
Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I think its just a price of freedom. This stuff is really hard to legislate without collateral damage. I the question to me is what is the greater good. I had friends die from DUI in both high school and college. Giving you're son a brand new Nissan 300 z for his 16th birthday when you know he's a hothead and parties is just moronic in my opinion. From the advanced age of around 40 I can see the bigger picture, but at the time I was a little jealous (Thanks Mom and Dad for saving that 5 year old Volvo Tank from me). How do we legislate putting the parents in Jail and banning certain young men with certain personality traits and lifestyles from driving sports cars? I'ts a shotgun approach and some who aren't really in the sights of intent are going to hit. Maybe really hammer repeat offenders?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

EW, it's kind of a dirty secret of the DUI laws that is not focused in the media. Everyone talks about the tough laws for the first & second time offenders but the general public knows very little about the "chronic drunk driving offender". I think the original poster may be feeling the social stigma of drunk driving. I often wonder why there was not this stigma in the 70's and into the 80's???
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
EW, it's kind of a dirty secret of the DUI laws that is not focused in the media. Everyone talks about the tough laws for the first & second time offenders but the general public knows very little about the "chronic drunk driving offender". I think the original poster may be feeling the social stigma of drunk driving. I often wonder why there was not this stigma in the 70's and into the 80's???
70s and 80s (early) was when our Dads were driving us around with open containers and they were sure as heck not going to do anything stupid with us kids in the car. So to the original poster, it just is what it is. Figure out how to not have it happen again and rock out the rest of your life. The stigma thing is interesting. Every other successful professional in the town I live in has a DUI (I'm exaggerating a little, but not much), they're actually so common in the last 10 years that the "stigma" really isn't there as much as it used to be. The guys I know who do like to throw down crazy arrange for transpo. So I do think it has had some positive effect. We do have a healthy crony capitalist sub economy teaching classes and installing interlock devices though.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

IMO, there should be more accountability on the part of those who serve and sell alcohol to drunk consumers. To the original poster, use this as a "wake up call". Because I'm sure the stigma of DUI and "punishments for first & second time offenders will be increasing.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You made a mistake. You didn't hurt anyone or yourself. The consequences suck- I just got my license back after 6 months. I am an alcoholic however so I am grateful for the experience because it was the catalyst to my sobriety. Don't beat yourself up. Your situation is only temporary and if you learn from it you will be all the more wiser!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Seriously, you're taking this much too hard. This is not the end of the world--not even close. I know a number of good people who are not alcoholics who used poor judgment, had a one or two drinks too many with dinner and ended up with their first DUI.

It's time for you to stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Maybe you're taking this much too lightly. Depending on what you want to do in life and where you live, a DUI can have serious long lasting consequences, even for the first one.

Just a side note, if you are traveling to Canada with a DUI, you can get denied access to the country.

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post

I don't think feeling shame really helps. He made a mistake driving a little drunk but he is not a mistake. Society has placed a huge stigma on drunk driving. I have my drivers license today and feel that I deserve it and that I earned it back after 2 DUI's. I've moved on with my life and never really felt any shame or remorse about it. I did feel resentful which I still deal with today.

Hmm....this explains a lot. No remorse, but lots of resentment.

Back to the OP. Use this as a learning experience and grow from this unfortunate incident. There are some people on here telling you that DUIs are no big deal. That you were only a little drunk and it's society's fault. Well you only need to be a little drunk to kill somebody. Remember that yes, you could have taken someone's life and be sitting in jail facing DUI manslaughter charges. So you know what, it is a big deal. These are the words coming from someone who has two DUIs. You may not be an alcoholic, only time will tell, how you go from this point will be the deciding factor.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think drinking and driving is very irresponsible. The thing that gets me is that it seems if you ever bring it up people all have the same opinion on it, that it's a horrible crime not far from rape or murder. The chances are that same person with that opinion has drove drunk in his or her life and probably will do it again sometime before they are dead. Some people have no idea how many drinks it takes to get your BAC over .08. They also may think if they don't "feel" drunk it's ok to drive. They may think that people convicted of DUI were all fall down, room spinning drunk.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Maybe you're taking this much too lightly. Depending on what you want to do in life and where you live, a DUI can have serious long lasting consequences, even for the first one.

Just a side note, if you are traveling to Canada with a DUI, you can get denied access to the country.
I understand the consequences of a DUI; however, it's clear the OP is in extreme mental anguish. I don't see that as a good thing. He clearly has remorse, he knows he screwed up and he feels a lot of shame. Those emotions are expected given the circumstances. However, getting to the point of extreme depression probably won't solve anything, and are counterproductive IMO. Learning from his mistake and taking responsibility for his actions will.

You'll notice I didn't say it wasn't a big deal; it is a big deal. But I don't feel the OP needs to torture and torment himself to understand the extent of his mistake.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

afrank, my state has a program for the first time DUI offender that once completed will see your record expunged. There are stipulations, but in general, if it's your first DUI and you did not injure anyone or have a child in your car you can usually do the program. I believe mandatory alcohol and drug classes are required. And you have to stay out of trouble for roughly a year before your record is cleared.

I'm not sure if your state has something similar, but you should at least look into it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful

I got pulled over a few years ago for speeding and had empty cans on the passenger floorboard. I had consumed 3-4 beers when he pulled me over and I blew a .06. He made me blow again and it was .07. He gave me a ticket for speeding, a warning ticket for open container (even though they were empty it's still illegal), and sent me on my way.

The thing is that I drove that road home from work 6 days a week and he pulled me over on a "light night" before I got my real drink on at home. I never got a DWI in my life and I deserved many. Take this as a good lesson on where alcohol can lead if you abuse it and how little it takes to actually be above the legal limit. From the sounds of it this will be a good life lesson to take forward with you.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you say this:
"By no means am i an alcoholic...."
and then this:
"Just when i feel ok, i relapse and get all depressed again"

what was the relapse of? addicted to working out? depression? alcohol?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful

tom,

I'm not him but I took it from his post that he relapsed into feeling depressed.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

10 years - a long time without drinking one or two behind the wheel

Originally Posted by afrank041 View Post

Just when i feel ok, i relapse and get all depressed again.

I keep looking for advice or help on DUI's like there is a miracle out there to help this all go away.

I'm afraid Ill never be the same again and I just really want some help on how to deal with this.

I just want this nightmare to be over.

- Alex
well Alex
this is coming from a guy who over his lifetime
has had three or four DUI's
and
two major crashes due to driving drunk
and
spent many months in jail because of DUI's

the main thing for you to never forget at this time is
----- Don't Get Another DUI -----
many will get their second one within a few years at the most

you are probably on a type of probation that requires
0 tolerance
if so
this means any measureable amount and it's your second DUI

here in San Diego County I have known many
second and third time offenders who were sent to prison

question - has your insurance went up yet ?
I pay over 2 thousand dollars a year

bottom line
count your lucky stars
and
don't drink and drive
and
this will all be behind you in proxy 5 to 10 years

yes in Calif
DMV will count the second DUI if within 10 years

maybe this all does not sound very supportive of your situation
reason
I during my lifetime have been charged with the second DUI twice
believe me
what you are going through at this time
is nothing compared to what a second one will bring

10 years - a long time without drinking one or two behind the wheel

Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by afrank041 View Post
SoCal

Ive been looking for help on this for a while now and I think i found the right place for some help..

Long story short, I got my first DUI February 2nd of this year, 9 days before my 22nd birthday. I thought i was spreading my drinks out enough where I would be ok. Unfortunately, I got pulled over for having a license plate light out (of all things -__-) Cop said I was driving fine but blew a .08 - .10. Went through the jail process and spent the most helpless 4 hours of my life in jail.

By no means am i an alcoholic, but it just happened out of nowhere and i feel so depressed about it to be honest. It was just supposed to be a night out with some friends =/

Its been 4 months, got my hard license suspension, and my license will be suspended for 4 months but a 3 month temporary license. Now i understand i might get an additional 5-6 months. Needless to say, i am very angry and upset about this situation. I understand its the first offense and the slap on the wrist thing.

Now the hard part I'm dealing with, is the emotional aspect. I never thought it would happen to me, and i have never even been pulled over before. The one time i do, this happens. When i ended up telling my parents, it was extremely hard. They were so disappointed in me and I felt so shameful. Im constantly getting depressed about my situation. I get these malicious thoughts and it gets harder to deal with day in and day out. Just the fact it happened and Im afraid people will see me in a different light is just devastating. It gets to the point sometimes where I am completely besides myself and just cant feel anything, if that makes sense. I havent told my friends or family about how im feeling (only 3 friends about what happened though) but i feel like this nightmare is not going to end, and there is no "light at the end of the tunnel" kind of thing. I work out twice a day and have been pushing my body to the absolute limit of throwing up at the gym to relive some stress. Just when i feel ok, i relapse and get all depressed again. I keep looking for advice or help on DUI's like there is a miracle out there to help this all go away. I dont know what Im doing. Im afraid Ill never be the same again and I just really want some help on how to deal with this. I just want this nightmare to be over.

- Alex
Your post reminds me so much of me 50 yrs ago. In my late teens and 20's drinking got me into situations that I couldn't bring myself to admit and deal with. I was unable to accept responsibility for my actions.
What I did when I was drinking didn't even seem like my actions when I sobered up... I denied all responsibility. It must be someone else's fault.

My life is my truth... I have to name it and claim it.

If you can then that's great. Do it.

If you can't then get help now. I found the best solution to my problem(s) in Alcoholics anonymous.

Some of us think that 2 + 2 = 5 and believe it.
Some of us know that 2 + 2 = 4 and can't stand it.
We have to come to know that 2 + 2 = 4 and embrace it with gratitude and serenity. That's tough for an alky.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Imagine how you would feel if you killed someone's child as a result of drink driving ? Dont do it again , and if you can't control the amount you drink or stop once started , seek help , but whatever you do Dont Drink and Drive because the next time may give you emotions you will never get over as long as you live......
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

DWI, 22 years old but something else was wrong...

Hello Alex,
I have read your post and also read the comments. Some of the comments made my stomach churn with hate for what I have done, and some made me feel as if they weren't harsh enough for what I have done...

My story is a lot like yours... but there was something else..
I was 22 years old, I had an amazing job for my age, I am a natural workaholic like my grandmother. I have always been the girl that knew when enough was enough, I was a social drinker only 3 drinks every payday week, or maybe at a baseball game. I have never tried any drugs, I was a "straight-edge" until I turned 21. Like you my birthday was 6 days away, I got my DWI a Friday night or early Saturday morning which ever you would prefer. Friday was a normal "payday happy hour" with one of my girl friends and we always went to the same place, had the same drinks. We left there and went to get our nails done spent about 2 hours there, then we went to the bar right next door and a had a few more, this was not our normal schedule, but we were celebrating the purchase of my new house. At 10:46pm I rearended a vehicle, luckily not going very fast the air bags did not deploy and there were no injuries... there was something else that was wrong.......I don't remember this.... at all. I don't remember leaving the bar, I don't remember rear ending the car, I can't remember the impact of the wreck, I can't remember anything for about a 3 hour period. It's completely blank, I have had people say well maybe it's from the wreck, maybe you have a concusion... but I have no recall of leaving the bar, no stumbling down the stairs that I knew could cause problems if I drank too much when I was walking in. The only thing I remember is attempting to pass the sobriety test, and thinking in my mind "Where am I?, What happened?, Why am I not in bed?" I failed my sobriety test and was taken in. My friend, who was called to the scene from a by stander saying I was drinking and driving and had a wreck. The cop had told my friend that my eyes were overly dialated, and it seemed to him that there was "more than just alcohol in my system". I don't remember 3 hours of my life. Did I hurt this person? Am I hurt and I just don't know it? What else did I do? I am living in the same "relapse" of emotions. I have put all of my stress and anger at myself into the gym, I feel distant from everyone, I'm ashamed, I am disgusted that I could let myself get that way. I live every day in a zombie wake. I can't stop thinking about what I did, how I just ruined the rest of my life.. And I also can't stop thinking about what could have happened... who I could have hurt, or what I could have done... I blacked out due to someone slipping something into my drink at the bar.. whether it was from the bar to the table, when I went to the restroom.. I don't remember..... but every single day... for the rest of my life, I will live with this... I will live wtih the haunting of the unknown. "a drunk driving charge requires that police show you were operating a vehicle, while, at the same time, your blood-alcohol measurement was .08 or higher, or you were otherwise physically and mentally impaired by alcohol or drugs." Maybe if I didn't have those few extra drinks... maybe I should have gone home... maybe I should have called in sick to work and never left the house that day..... I'll let you know if I ever find a time machine to go back, but until then take every day, one at a time. Be thankful that you didn't do worse (I did), be grateful you're alive and nothing else happened. **deep breath, and exhale** There is no way to go back, you can only change you what you do in the future...

For me I have vowed no alcohol... ever again. The unknown has scared me to the never again..

For the families/friends/children that I could have hurt or for the people that have lost loved ones due to drunk driving, I am sorry, I am so angry that I can not remember. I have tried to retrace my steps, I have tried everything to understand what happened... but I can't there is nothing there. And everyday it follows me just as my shadow does.. It never goes away.

-Syd
Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well, there is no miracle to get it over with. You really just have to stay on top of it and do exactly what you need to on a daily basis. In terms of court, probation, classes, etc. DO NOT give them a reason to mess with you, they will. Even if your reason or excuse is true, they hear lies all day every day. It sucks, but it will be over at some point. Also, try having gratitude for it happening with no one hurt and that now you will never do it again. Its hard to do, but may help with the emotional side. Gratitude is a very powerful force.

On a different note, when i got mine, i had to attend a MADD presentation. I see absolutely no reason not to make this a requirement of getting your first license, it was very compelling.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Syd0410 View Post
Hello Alex,
I have read your post and also read the comments. Some of the comments made my stomach churn with hate for what I have done, and some made me feel as if they weren't harsh enough for what I have done...

My story is a lot like yours... but there was something else..
I was 22 years old, I had an amazing job for my age, I am a natural workaholic like my grandmother. I have always been the girl that knew when enough was enough, I was a social drinker only 3 drinks every payday week, or maybe at a baseball game. I have never tried any drugs, I was a "straight-edge" until I turned 21. Like you my birthday was 6 days away, I got my DWI a Friday night or early Saturday morning which ever you would prefer. Friday was a normal "payday happy hour" with one of my girl friends and we always went to the same place, had the same drinks. We left there and went to get our nails done spent about 2 hours there, then we went to the bar right next door and a had a few more, this was not our normal schedule, but we were celebrating the purchase of my new house. At 10:46pm I rearended a vehicle, luckily not going very fast the air bags did not deploy and there were no injuries... there was something else that was wrong.......I don't remember this.... at all. I don't remember leaving the bar, I don't remember rear ending the car, I can't remember the impact of the wreck, I can't remember anything for about a 3 hour period. It's completely blank, I have had people say well maybe it's from the wreck, maybe you have a concusion... but I have no recall of leaving the bar, no stumbling down the stairs that I knew could cause problems if I drank too much when I was walking in. The only thing I remember is attempting to pass the sobriety test, and thinking in my mind "Where am I?, What happened?, Why am I not in bed?" I failed my sobriety test and was taken in. My friend, who was called to the scene from a by stander saying I was drinking and driving and had a wreck. The cop had told my friend that my eyes were overly dialated, and it seemed to him that there was "more than just alcohol in my system". I don't remember 3 hours of my life. Did I hurt this person? Am I hurt and I just don't know it? What else did I do? I am living in the same "relapse" of emotions. I have put all of my stress and anger at myself into the gym, I feel distant from everyone, I'm ashamed, I am disgusted that I could let myself get that way. I live every day in a zombie wake. I can't stop thinking about what I did, how I just ruined the rest of my life.. And I also can't stop thinking about what could have happened... who I could have hurt, or what I could have done... I blacked out due to someone slipping something into my drink at the bar.. whether it was from the bar to the table, when I went to the restroom.. I don't remember..... but every single day... for the rest of my life, I will live with this... I will live wtih the haunting of the unknown. "a drunk driving charge requires that police show you were operating a vehicle, while, at the same time, your blood-alcohol measurement was .08 or higher, or you were otherwise physically and mentally impaired by alcohol or drugs." Maybe if I didn't have those few extra drinks... maybe I should have gone home... maybe I should have called in sick to work and never left the house that day..... I'll let you know if I ever find a time machine to go back, but until then take every day, one at a time. Be thankful that you didn't do worse (I did), be grateful you're alive and nothing else happened. **deep breath, and exhale** There is no way to go back, you can only change you what you do in the future...

For me I have vowed no alcohol... ever again. The unknown has scared me to the never again..

For the families/friends/children that I could have hurt or for the people that have lost loved ones due to drunk driving, I am sorry, I am so angry that I can not remember. I have tried to retrace my steps, I have tried everything to understand what happened... but I can't there is nothing there. And everyday it follows me just as my shadow does.. It never goes away.

-Syd
I am sorry for your experience. Did you ever report the drugging to the police? Did you ever seek help for what happened to you? I am not talking about your culpability regarding the dui...I am referring to you seeking help as someone who was drugged and potentially going to be a victim of an assault. I am guessing the person who drugged your drink probably didn't start or stop with you.

that aside, if someone did not drug you...you may have done one of a number of things. Perhaps you and your friend would have decided the extra drinks were just too many and find another way home. Perhaps you would have driven home (though you should not have) but not being drugged, you may have made it home safely. And of course, maybe you would have driven home (not drugged) and still received a dui. I guess what I am saying is that if you were drugged and can't remember what you were doing--that person took away your decision-making.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

DUI aged 20 along with posession of cannabis.

Today I'm 34 and still have my driving licence. Things work out, don't stress.