Notices

Help me with Binge Drinking

Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help me with Binge Drinking

Hello. I am new here. I need help with what I know is binge drinking. I don't need to drink all week, but once the weekend comes, a get together with friends, I feel like I pound down the glasses of wine like crazy. I really HATE the feelings of depression that follow for the next few days.

I am married and have a beautiful toddler at home. I really don't want my baby growing up seeing me do this dumb way of life of binging. I feel like when I am with friends, and they are drinking, I have to drink. The problem is...they have 1 or 2 and I keep going and going. I have a few girlfriends who do the same as me, but to them, they have no problem.

I have never gone to AA because I have felt like I don't depend on alcohol, so why should I go? I can go for weeks without drinking, and then in one night..I make up for it. I really want to stop. My husband drinks, he tells me I am always fine, but I know I am not. I have blackouts and hate it.

This coming weekend we have friends staying with us for 2 days. They all drink. Any ideas or any help or advice?

Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Share with your loved ones your desire to stop drinking. If they love you they will support you. Good luck and be well.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pjolsin View Post

I have never gone to AA because I have felt like I don't depend on alcohol, so why should I go? I can go for weeks without drinking, and then in one night..I make up for it.
It sounds, by that statement, that you do depend on it. You just "postpone" it.

I quit many times when I was practicing but when I fell off the wagon I would drink more than ever to get "caught up". I never really quit .. I "postponed".

You may want to rethink your decision about AA. AA might be just what the doctor ordered. It was/is for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by pjolsin View Post
This coming weekend we have friends staying with us for 2 days. They all drink. Any ideas or any help or advice?
Plan not to drink. If you struggle and fail, you have a problem. Alcohol problems aren't determined by how often you drink. It's determined by your drinking despite your sincere desire to not drink.

If you can't stop when you start drinking, the solution is to not drink. Good luck. Let us know how the weekend went.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all! Great responses. I like what you said 2granddaughters.

I am praying I can just say "NO" when the weekend rolls around......
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey PJ,

Looking back on my previous failures, for me, for every failed quit it has usually been me struggling with the decision to Quit and remaining firm on it. Once I lock in, I'm golden.

Blackouts were the final straw for me, unacceptable (for me, to me).

Good luck!

CJ.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pj i was like you. i was a very functional alcoholic. i would work all week and on the weekends i would drink like a fish. yea i had a child at home like you do. it is a good think that you have a problem, that was the most difficult part for me. maybe you stay at home and drink by self or few friends like i did. i did this cause i had depression for a while due to a terrible even in my life. i am sure you have your reasons.
come hang out here. come to the chat room and talk to people who hae similar experiences as you. i did and it really helped me.