Notices

A year, and a week.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A year, and a week.

My original thread I posted about myself can be found here for anyone who would like to read a little more about me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0-90-days.html

I can't believe its been 53 weeks since I've had alcohol. After the first 90 days, it got easier. I don't even think about alcohol much. Lucky for me, I wasn't so far gone that I had to have treatment, or had any withdrawal issues. I just knew I was on a short road to being a drunk.

I don't drink any more. Its who I've become. I'm better this way. Everything in my life is better without booze.

Anyone in their 20s reading this who has a drinking problem, do yourself a favor:
STOP DRINKING

Obviously that goes for anyone with a drinking problem, but I can only speak about my personal experience. I hated the idea of being "young" (I'm approaching 30, so I use that loosely, no offense to any "advanced" members ) and deciding not to drink, but I couldn't be happier with my decision. It was the right move.

Further, I'd like to thank others who post here regularly. I did a lot more reading than I did posting. There's a lot of knowledge here that I was able to lean on. Many posts addressed to others really hit home. Without this forum, there's no doubt I'd be drinking still.

I'm under no illusions that I'm "cured" or that I can go back to drinking normally. I'm just taking it a day at a time.

I approached this problem differently than many do. I set short, easy goals, and I continue to do this today. First was 90 days, then 6 months, then a year. Now the goal is two years. I guess I've been doubling each goal once its achieved. And I'll be honest about something, If I ever get a terminal disease and am told I have a short period of time to live, I'll drink again. At least I tell myself that now, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Allowing myself that makes the decision to stop now easier.

Sorry for the ramblings, and thanks again to those who have helped.

Good luck to each of you.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it. This website is really helping me realize I'm not alone and it would be the best thing to get sober now, instead of later. I hope in 53 weeks I can say the same thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Congrats. I'm just over a year and 2 weeks myself. It's awesome!!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

WOW! Good stuff.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations Brandon! Glad things are going well for you!