Notices

Brain fog is upon me

Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog is upon me

Yesterday was day one of round three of giving it up. The morning was rough because I was visited by my old friends anxiety and chest tightness. I felt good this morning when I woke, a little groggy from the chamomile tea, but much better than hung over. I am at my office now and the brain fog has definitely set in. I can barely focus enough to compose this post. I'm thinking about bailing today...I have missed more working hours from sober brain fog than I ever missed from drinking (i.e., none).

Does anyone have any ideas or supplements they took for the brain fog?

TIA
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when I say "bailing" I mean getting the hell out of the office.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I used to bail from the office as well due to anxiety - couldn't get "out of my own head" if that makes sense, it just spiraled until I needed to get out of there. Stopping drinking, in the end, was the only answer to solve my anxiety and it's worked so far. You'll notice a vast improvement and not want to bail anymore if you have some long-time sobriety under your belt.

As for your immediate situation - sure, you can bail. You won't get fired over it, and if it brings you peace of mind and allows you to contemplate sobriety - then great! If you're going to go home and use/drink, then stay in the darn office! These first days are tough.

Keep chugging caffiene-free tea, water, etc, and stay away from high-sugar foods (donuts, etc). I also noticed a HUGE relief when I stopped eating breads in my diet - for lunch don't go to Subway, find something healthy like a salad or sushi, that'll keep you on the right track.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You won't get fired over it
Haha. No I won't, I'm the boss...well, boss might not be the right word...I am everything...runner, boss, legal assistant, paralegal, receptionist since I own this law firm.

I can go any time I want. The only thing keeping me here is that little voice of responsibility.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drink AA coffee when I feel that way.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Crossfit,

I assume from the name you are already getting regular daily exercise? That was a huge help to me in the first few months. I also got very involved in meditation at the start of the day. Not a long drawn out session just a few minutes to get centered and clear my mind. There are several good guided CDs out there, certainly many books and I have used a particular AA meditation meeting for years.

The process of "emptying your mind" and sitting quietly has remarkable effects, at least for me.
Hang in there it gets a little easier everyday. Just don't drink no matter what.

Best wishes and good job,

Jon
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Time and vitamins. I have a long list of vitamins I'm taking regularly. It's from the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety. I don't follow her exactly regimen, but something similar. I think it's repairing my brain. Especially all the amino acids and the GABA. And since I'm recommending pills you have to swallow, I must say: please see a doctor before taking anything!! (because we never know what sort of reaction we'll have to supplements, we are all wired differently and have different levels of damage) But if you're interested, PM me or I can type the list out here.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Haha. No I won't, I'm the boss...well, boss might not be the right word...I am everything...runner, boss, legal assistant, paralegal, receptionist since I own this law firm.

I can go any time I want. The only thing keeping me here is that little voice of responsibility.
If it's that bad, then leave. If you can stick it out, then just sit there and watch youtube vids all day - that's what half the world does at work anyway. The world is moving towards a more physically-free work environment anyway, heck in 50 years "offices" will be a thing of the past. Go home and keep your inter-office e-mail up and transfer the calls to your cell and you're golden.

Sounds like you have some freedom regarding your employment and are in a pretty good spot. A real luxury when working on sobriety. I don't have a wife or kids, and I was also told how lucky I was not to have a family or committments when I was getting sober....I appreciated my situation and took full advantage of it. Don't waste your opportunity, get sober now, get serious about it, tell your wife and start working on this thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And since I'm recommending pills you have to swallow, I must say: please see a doctor before taking anything!! (because we never know what sort of reaction we'll have to supplements, we are all wired differently and have different levels of damage) But if you're interested, PM me or I can type the list out here.

Jennie, I would definitely be interested in this list. I just started an anti-d as well as kudzu. Valerian Root for anxiety and Melatonin to get a decent nights sleep.

Crossfit Dad - good luck! It's nice to be able to be your own boss. Do whatever you think you need to do. For me, it's better if I keep busy.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm gonna pass on the valerian. That stuff has always made me feel weird. i'm going to work out at 11:30 anyway. That usually clears the cobwebs a bit.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you tried massage or acupuncture?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagRich View Post

Jennie, I would definitely be interested in this list.
Sure

Mutlivitamin
B Complex
Extra B Vitamins: B1, B3, B5, B6
High quality fish oil for omega 3's
Amino Complex
GABA
Passionflower
Exter C
NAC
Inositol powder
L-Glutamine powder
Magnesium & calcium powder (I take Natural Vitality calm)
Zinc
D3
Orange Oximega Greens powder (antioxidant, plus enzymes, plus probiotics)

I also drink a tea before and during menstrual cycle that has: Raspberry leaf, chasteberry, dong quai and some other stuff

And not taking yet, but ordered from Amazon and on the way: Betaine HCl, pancreatine, L-Tryptophan, L-Tyrosine, L-Glycine, L-Taurine
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did acupuncture, didn't seem to help me but it may help others. I also did the ear beads (related to the acupuncture).
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

just got back from a workout. It looks like some of the brain fog has lifted...I still don't want to work, haha.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
now's the time

Exercise is definitely the best in-the-moment treatment.

Vitamins for me lead to a huge improvement in my rate of recovery. I take:

1 multi
2 fish oil (morning, evening)
2 zinc/calcium/magnesium
2 b complex
2 vitamin C

I just did some reading about which vitamins alcoholics are often deficient in ... Jennie I might have to check out that book! There's also one called "Nutrition for Recovery" or something along those lines that I've been meaning to look at.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Great list, I also take Gaba supplements, it s excellent for anxiety.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Does anyone have any ideas...for the brain fog?
Continued sobriety.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering

I think patience is the most important thing. I was disappointed that I didn’t feel much better quickly. There seems something unfair about giving up alcohol and actually feeling worse for a while. I was grouchy and lethargic, and I didn’t sleep well. My concentration at work suffered. But that stage passed (though I still don't sleep well - it's 1am here).

Hang in there CFD.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
GPL

My liver Dr. said I had to cut out vitamin C because it causes liver damage. Who really knows?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by GPL View Post
My liver Dr. said I had to cut out vitamin C because it causes liver damage. Who really knows?
It was odd for me to read this. From what I know about Vitamin C, it's actually believed to maintain one's liver's health.