Notices

Michael Z's "Wisdom of the Rooms"

Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Michael Z's "Wisdom of the Rooms"

June 24, 2013

Quote of the Week

"Relapse begins a long time before you pick up that first drink or drug."

I'm a three meeting minimum a week kind of guy. Anything below that and I begin feeling, well, kind of vulnerable. Oh, not that I'm going to pick up and use, but vulnerable to what my head tells me, and vulnerable to feeling more irritable, restless and discontented. I'm quicker to judge, and I begin storing resentments.

After a few weeks of that, it begins to get harder to make even two meetings a week. Soon I'm not answering my phone very much and calling my sponsor doesn't even occur to me. Work pressures mount, and on the way home you're not driving fast enough, and the parking lot is full, and Blockbuster doesn't have the movie I want. Suddenly the world is out of whack, and the idea of a drink seems not only natural, but completely reasonable as well.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard people who relapse tell a story similar to the one above. It always scares the heck out of me because there have been times when I've begun to do down that same path. Thank God for my commitments, a strong support group, regular meetings I look forward to, and sponsees who continue to call me.

Today I have four meetings a week I go to - whether I need them or not - because I want to keep the distance between me a relapse as far apart as possible.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

It's critical for me as well, to stay in touch with people in recovery daily. I may be able to kid myself about myself for awhile, but when i hear them share MY story, when they share their own story...some humility is restored.

Reality check, and a daily reminder that I have a program to be grateful for and it works if I work it. And if I don't...I go right back to stupid in a quick minute.