Notices

What to do... lost here

Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do... lost here

Well I'm at it again. I cannot stop drinking and it's escalated to the point where I was disinvited to my sister's wedding yesterday. I had promised over and over that I would not drink during her wedding weekend and I got caught drunk in front of everyone on Sat. My desions are very poor. I stay with my parents and they never came home last night from the wedding and rececption. They have never done that before. I will most likely be asked to move out. One of my questions is am I making a bad move to get my own little apartment in town close to the meetings? I'm nervous about surviving on my own, but nothing I do is working. Should I try this temporarily and see if I can stay sober?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its hard to say really but don't make the mistake of making rushed decisions on the back of the issues you and your drinking have just created. Why not face the issues first and see where it leads? It may lead to some help from your family. The other option leaves you alone and without help which could lead to an easy path of self destruction given your drinking problem. Think really carefully about your future and what is best for you
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I may not have a choice if they don't let me stay. I have major issues with isolating myself. Right now I'm hanging on by a thread. If I move into town at least I would be close to meetings. I'm not sure...
Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
I may not have a choice if they don't let me stay. I have major issues with isolating myself. Right now I'm hanging on by a thread. If I move into town at least I would be close to meetings. I'm not sure...
Have you told your parents you have a drinking problem?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you close to meetings at your parents too? I have spent a large amount of time living alone and in a way it just allowed me to carry on as I was no questions asked. I liked it that way because I could drink a lot without criticism. I had periods where I lived with others or spent a lot of my time with other people around and I managed to control my drinking to an acceptable limit for a very limited amount of time. I think if I had a choice of getting sober with or without other people around I think I would do it alone because at least I know I was doing it for myself and I wouldn't just carry on drinking again when I found myself without support. I think there are benefits to both scenarios though. If you are prone to isolation living on your own can be tough, so it might be a good idea to get into an outpatient program as well as meetings x
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

do you have a sponsor and are you working the steps.
Join a step study
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
I suggest not getting too worked up until you know for certain you're out of your parents house.

If you are able to stay at your parents can you get to AA meetings? If so, I suggest staying at your parents, at least for awhile, and then committing to sobriety and diligently attending AA meetings.