Notices

Kombucha

Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

On the original topic, I like them and drink them and never thought twice about it.

Its not an alcoholic beverage, it just may have strains of alcohol from the way its made.

But thats me -- everyone has to make their own choice and I am totally with better safe than sorry.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Its not an alcoholic beverage, it just may have strains of alcohol from the way its made.
There's actually been some studies that found certain brands of Kombucha to have between 2.5 and 3% alcohol, even though they are supposed to have less than 0.5. That's about the same as light beer.

Not suggesting that they are all that high, most probably aren't - but it's worth being aware of when purchasing it.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried it and something just didn't sit right with me. Read up on it and immediately knew I couldn't touch it again.

We're all individuals here. I respect those on SR that work a program that's different from mine.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love kombucha and all the benefits, it has the same amount of alcohol as orange juice.
Some people can't have anything with alcohol, including mouth wash.this would be a personal choice. For me, I drink it
Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink anything with even a hint of alcohol in it. I'm an alcoholic. Alcohol is my demise. Never gonna give it the chance to creep back in. Never. Period.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used to drink kombucha then realized it was fermented drink. Checked on line and saw the same as you. Minimal traces of booze and now don't drink it because my disease isn't the strength of the drink but the craving that I can get and my choice to stop will be gone. On the same lines, Non-Alcoholic beer says who its for NON-ALCOHOLICS. Good luck trying to drink 100 kombucha's but I know for me I would have a few then find a stronger drink that I would try to drink 100 of them.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I occasionally drank an n/a beer or two during my pregnancies, I was avoiding alcohol and figured it was a reasonable substitute since I liked the taste. I didn’t realize I was alcoholic until after my last pregnancy. Now, opening an n/a beer would feel like and mimic the act of drinking, so I would not do it.

Ive never tried kombucha. Now I really don’t need to try it esp if the content can be 2-3 percent.

I had a chocolate mousse (from Costco!)recently early in my sobriety that had a very strong alcohol taste, it even gave me that “cooling” sensation in my mouth, was way too close for comfort. Turns out booze was added to it, I’d had only one bite and set it aside for obvious reasons.

What about red wine vinegar? I use it in salad, mellower flavor than regular.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t drink it personally. I had a sip once pretty recently and had to spit it out immediately. The fermentation tasted too familiar to beer.

I do know some people in recovery that drink it but I don’t understand why. It’s just a drink among many and I wouldn’t want to risk a potential trigger down the line for it when there are so many other things to drink that don’t taste like beer or have small amounts of alcohol in it.