Notices

Earning trust back

Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Earning trust back

Because I have been breaking sobriety and stalling on getting into treatment a good friend of mine told me she can't be friends with me the way I am and watch me kill myself with alcohol and pills. She has a point and she said she will support me once I go through treatment. I now realize everything addiction has taken from me and I don't blame her if I was her I wouldn't trust me either. I've become a liar by spending my parents money on drugs and alcohol and not telling the truth. She said I"m a good person who needs help. Has anyone else ever been able to rebuild trust once you were serious and taking treatment seriously
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

yes and it takes time

start with being sober one day at a time

relax, breathe in and out slowly, don't fret over the past nor the future, start to live in this moment

YOU CAN DO THIS sober thing!!!!!

Hugs & Love sent to you
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Certainly, you will get her trust back but you have to prove yourself to her first and make a good sober run at it. My wife rarely questions me about drinking these days but if I slip she will be all over me every time she sees me, "Did you drink?".

I don't miss those three words...
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have pinktee.

The thing is, you have to forget about your friend for now - get well, get better, recover - but do it for you, not for her.

If she's a real friend she'll see, in time, the changes in you - you won't need to say a word

D
Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

we need to face the facts

Originally Posted by pinktee18 View Post

Has anyone else ever been able to rebuild trust once you were serious and taking treatment seriously
yes
but it takes time
and
that only for us means time being sober
many if not most will forgive us
but
we need to face the facts
while drinking and or using in many cases
there is no chance of reconciliation
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am concerned about me but now that the consequences of my actions are coming out it's more real. I've become a liar and do what I know I shouldn't. I went clubing last night and got very very drunk when I knew I shouldn't have gone she hammered home the fact that I keep making excuses for everything. She's the one who cared from the beginning to get help and she has a point. I need to take responsibility for myself.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She sounds like a good friend worth trying for. Think of her the next time you want to give in.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

She is an excellent friend she doesnt like the person Ive become with the lying and not doing anything I say I will for treatment. I go tomorrow for intake and I'm gonna let her know and wish her well and when I come out hopefully we can work on building trust again.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

for a healthy life

Originally Posted by pinktee18 View Post

I've become a liar and do what I know I shouldn't
admitting to ourselves those facts
can be
the greatest of a new start

it wasn't until I got sick and tired of myself
that I finally became willing to change

for a healthy life
we need to be able to look at the one in the mirror
and
not get sick inside
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wouldn't even trust myself as a friend with the way I am but tomorrow i go for intake and I'm ready for help and to stop lying. I guess when your'e an addict lying is second nature
Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to build trust back with my mom, dad, and sister. I promised I would not drink during her wedding weekend and I did. Of course they could tell I was drunk. Today they came into my hotel room and told I was no longer in the wedding. I was supposed to be the maid of honor. I am so so sad. I hate myself and I can't stay sober.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It took a long while to earn the trust back from my family. But I eventually did. I first needed to earn the trust back from myself. When I stopped lying to myself and became completely honest with myself, that is when the pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place.
100 % Honesty.
Important. Very, very important.
(harder than it seems, but completely possible.)
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All my hopes for you Pink, see you on the other side.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm hoping for the best because for me the tough love approach does work my guy friend did it to me and it worked and were closer than ever. Time apart should do us well and for me to get it together so I can come out on the other side a new person.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

I was able to rehabilitate some of my broken relationships, but not all. The AA Big Book recommends that we practice patience, tolerance and love. If we can do that, we may still regret the damage we've done, but it won't weigh on us as heavily as it does in early sobriety.

When I first got sober, I was told that trust is the first thing we lose, and the last thing we get back. My family knew me as a good person before I relapsed after twenty five years, and they quickly opened their hearts to me when I entered treatment. I wasn't as fortunate with my ex-girlfriend and a couple of employers. But after making amends, I was able to accept my past failures and live in the present. There's no reason why you can't do the same.