Notices

Jumping the line

Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jumping the line

This whole month I've been jumping the sobriety line. It seems like three days is my limit. After three days the cravings and overall sick feeling get to be too much. Also, I've got my brain telling me "dude! You just went three days without a single drop! You've earned a night to go wild!" I can't believe there are people on here who have gone many many years without alcohol - and here I am stoked over three days.

Yes, I am about to answer my own question. I am mostly writing this to get some thoughts out of my head.

I need to focus on the here and now; the today. Not number count how long I've gone. Alcohol is not a reward, it's the problem. A normal lifestyle is not marking the days on my calendar. It's not counting down the hours until I'm off work, or my next day off. As far as the cravings and sick feeling...I visited my usual doctor on Friday and he gave me a low dose of a benzo to take when needed. They seem to be helping a little. I'm trying to be responsible and use them as a last resort. My problem is with how I think and feel. The benzos are helping with my body, but not my mind. How I long for the day where I won't even know the number of days since I last drank.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day at a time.....that's how I've stayed sober for over 5 years. All I have to focus on is doing the next right thing that is in front of me. A simple task for a complicated person so I have to remember not to over-think.
I arm myself with the tools of recovery in the morning by praying, reading, meditating and reaching out to others. No better way for me to start my day than centered in recovery and spiritually centered.
Welcome!!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Third day killed me, too. Just take it one day at a time.
What works for me, is thinking of that first drink and where it'll lead. I've been doing it for two and a half years and I was a bad drunk.

Best to you.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That voice is your reptile/animal part of your brain that looks for pleasure. You have to tune it out. You can outsmart a lizard. Get through the detox days and let your head clear up, you can do it.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

For many of us, we find it extremely difficult to stay sober without a program or some type of treatment.

As a clinical psychologist who's also coordinated studies on alcoholism and other addictions, I was aware that there were several "treatments" available for people who want to recover. I fully understand that AA is not for everyone, but it's the only thing that worked for me.

If AA isn't for you, "SMART" and Rational Recovery. A good therapist with training in the treatment of addictions may also work for you.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you. Sometimes it's 3, 1, 7, 15. My numbers never get past 20 something. I want to scream. I ordered Allen Carr's book a week ago. I hope that guy can throw me a life line.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Some people don't do well counting days. There is no rule that says that is how to quit. I focused more on redefining myself as a nondrinker. If I no longer drink ever, then what am I counting?

I do acknowledge my yearly date, but it's more of a "this is the day my life changed" thing. It's also a good excuse to get more ink, jump from an airplane, or buy some super extravagant shoes.