Notices

Don't know how to help

Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know how to help

My friend is going through s rough time with cravings right now and I don't know how to help her afraid of saying the wrong thing. She is one of my closest friends. She called yesterday and asked for my sponsors phone number she needed someone to talk to. She is not leaning on her sponsor right now because sponsor just had a new baby and doesn't want to bother her. She has put the steps on hold which I think is a bad idea. I told her she could talk to my sponsor she would be super supportive and I gave her phone numbers of other women I knew. I told her also she could ask my sponsor to be her temporary sponsor. I just wish I knew how to help her been praying about it. I don't want to say the wrong thing. I told her she could call me anytime she needed to. I think I will call her everyday I gave her a call today to see how she was doing. I know she appreciated that a lot.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes we don't have to say anything. Just listening can help a great deal. I think giving her that daily call, just to let her know you are thinking about her and praying for her is all you can really do at this point. And don't minimize that part. That is a big deal.

It is good that you directed her to people with more experience and sobriety though. Those are people that have the experience to give her the solid advice she needs.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi it's nice your so helpful for her. As stated just listening is so helpful so often along with sharing. I've often spoke at detoxes with my AA group and after someone would approach me and say "you said what I needed to hear" and they never shared what it was. Gets me wondering. What is said at meetings often triggers other helpful thoughts. An old sponsor always said " we don't have the power to make someone drink or get sober." BE WELL
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing a good job to me. You don't want to over do it.
I think calling her every day is a good idea.

Fred
Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

"we don't have the power to make someone drink or get sober."

so true!!!

just be a friend, Anoronha! You're doing it now.....

Hugs,
~SB