Notices

Can I do this with out telling my family?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Can I do this with out telling my family?

If I have my fiances support, love and devotion do I need to tell my family that I have a problem in order to recover? My family is not supportive at all I will get nothing but abuse from them if they found out. Im already the black sheep of the family and they already think Im a loser for dropping out of college twice. I just put a down payment on a house with my fiance and all I've been hearing is how Im going to screw up. My mom just reminded me a few months ago that I need to stop drinking bc alcoholism runs in my family. She told me I would end up like my brother who is an alcoholic/druggy. I'm not sure I've ever seen him sober in my 27 years of life come to think of it... If I can do this with out them finding out then thats what I plan on doing. Telling them will do more harm to my self esteem then good.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Given what you have said, I don’t see the need to tell them. However, neither would I lie about it if asked.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by SassMaster View Post
My family is not supportive at all I will get nothing but abuse from them if they found out.
I think that quote by you answers your question.

No one on my side of the family knew of my problem with alcohol, nor do they know I quit drinking. I also did not have a lot of support from my wife. It sucks, but IMHO, its all on us to stop.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SassMaster View Post
...do I need to tell my family that I have a problem in order to recover?
Seems from what you say, they already know you have a problem. I would think they'd be happy to see you address it.

As for telling them you don't drink, do you see them? Will they push alcohol on you? If you don't see them, no problem. But if you do, you might need to explain why you aren't drinking if they are used to seeing you drink.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Seems from what you say, they already know you have a problem. I would think they'd be happy to see you address it.

As for telling them you don't drink, do you see them? Will they push alcohol on you? If you don't see them, no problem. But if you do, you might need to explain why you aren't drinking if they are used to seeing you drink.

No I get the response from her anytime she knows I had a drink. She doesn't want me drinking period. I never EVER drink around family b/c I know I can't control myself when I do. As far as my mom knows I only drink a few times a year.. I just had the misfortune of her dropping by unexpected one day