Notices

5th day sober and first meeting

Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5th day sober and first meeting

It's my fifth day sober and I am going to my first AA meeting tonight. Apparently there are AA meetings in my area, but on a website I visited it only listed the next town away which would have been hard to go to due to distance. I told my mom I'm going to an internship meet up for tonight but once the church down the street has one in the next few days I'll be going there. I know honesty is the best policy but my mom lives in a one world land, but I'll mention it casually since its right down the street I just want to check it out for myself first.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done pinktree - sounds like you're getting off to a brilliant start!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days of sobriety, Pinktee
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yay that's awesome I too am at day 5 good on us for getting this far.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 days sober......every day counts and you're off to a great start. When you get to the meeting.....You can introduce yourself as a newcomer if you'd like but you don't have to share unless you want to, put your listening ears on, look for similarities and get phone numbers from other women. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear pink. I hope it goes well, and it if this meeting doesn't fit, try another; each group and each meeting can be a little different.

And well done on 5 days.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The meeting went well and I recognized a few kids I went to high school with there as well. I'm going to look into intensive outpatient though so I can get intensive help more than talk therapy.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My suggestion would be to give AA a good 5-10 meetings and try different ones if you feel like the ones you've been to are "talk therapy" since that is not really what AA is about.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did a 20 day intensive outpatient and highly recommend it! I got so much out of that group. Was sad to go when it ended.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pink tee Congratulations on 5 days! I'm only 7 months sober myself. In the 3 months I finally feel like I've found my home meeting. I've been going to this Noon meeting for 6 months Monday - Friday. I also go to a great Big Book Study at the same location. What I did to make myself feel more comfortable in the AA meeting was to bring my homemade baked goods everyday. I took up baking, instead of the 2 bottles of wine I was downing each night. My family was happy, but also begging me to give the treats to other people. The daily treats are my way of being of service. It also forced me out of my shell, since I isolated at home with my drinking. I've been able to meet new people, make friends at my meetings. So, I agree give yourself time with your meetings. I also shopped around too. I go to 3 different AA & CA meetings. Funny thing to....you actually see many people on the same meeting circuit. Don't give up. :-D
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like AA I mean instead of seeing my regular therapist I need something more. For those who have done intensive outpatient what is it like and what do the days consist of and usually how long are you there for each day?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah I see. I wasn't sure if you were saying that you felt like AA seemed like talk therapy. Several people in my AA group have gone to or go to an IOP program and they have gotten a lot of out it.