Notices

Warning! Im Back 3rd Time This Year

Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Warning! Im Back 3rd Time This Year

Middle of the year and my biggest goal was to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes. I did real well for the first 3 weeks for a total of 18 days with no alcohol or cigarettes but the urges are just so strong. Started to analyze self today and i asked " How far in life you would be right now if you just stop drinking and smoking?" I mean, i picked up a few good habit this year like working out but i feel like all that hard work goes to waste once i start drinking on the weekend. I stop drinking everyday and only consume alcohol in the weekend but that's enough to account for the whole week. I start to hang around guys that are not even on my level and i have to lower myself just to bond.

What can i do differently to change and quit drinking and smoking? What are my triggers and how can i stop them? One thing im starting to do is plan my days and not procrastinate. Im following a 30 minute rule that i will work without interruption during that time and then give myself 10 minutes or more of guilt free play. Not having anything to do usually triggers my alcoholism so by planing my weekend since that's is when i do my drinking could help. Im also going to participate more on this forum and interact with other alcoholics for encouragement and motivation. This also means not hanging out with those guys who just drink, get high and sniff coke. Ive been drug free for over 3 years, but these are the guys i grew up with, so i need a new change of friends.

I have a interlock device and when i drink the night before, im actually scared that my BAC is so high, the device will detect it and won't let me power on my car to work the next morning. I know i only drink on the weekend, but the previous month, i spent over $1,000 on drinks and last week i almost ruined my relationship with my best friend for being drunk and stupid. I think it's really time for a change.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

The rest of the world rarely cares that we drink the way we do, except when our behavior interferes with them in some way. While we continue drinking, we are no longer competition for things like work and school. We don't threaten the job market, and we're generally unavailable to have meaningful relationships with healthy people. Although many people can clearly see us for the problem drinkers we are, we are largely invisible, and our cries of suffering go unheard, even among canines. We are the lost people, and very few people in the world of the living have any interest in finding us.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back GhostFace - sounds like the start of a plan.

D
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Third time is a charm !! Good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

I know it sounds selfish, but you have to focus on you above anything in the process of getting sober. just think of how much you will benefit those around you once you do.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the first date ladies I took out

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post

I have a interlock device

i spent over $1,000 on drinks and last week

i almost ruined my relationship with my best friend for being drunk and stupid.
I had one of those interlock devices back when I was single
man - it sure didn't impress the first date ladies I took out
excuse me while I blow this thing so as to start my car

that's a lot of money to be spending
a few of those would be a down payment on a home

drinking is not worth losing our best friend
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank guys for the welcome. I always start off good but once the weekend starts, I loose motivation on my sobriety. I meditated this morning and told myself to forget about the future and the past and just focus on the now and the 24 hours I'm blessed with.

Its only Tuesday and already got a call from my cousin that his birthday is this weekend and they know I'm one of the biggest drinkers. I'm thinking of just not going out and focus on me.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very hard to stay motivated with addiction. When left to fight it on my own, I always failed sooner or later. It just lies in wait for a weak moment - very patiently... I only stayed sober through AA. It's great that you are trying again, so maybe use that good energy to see if you would like to try some other approach this time. If not AA something else in which you have some face to face relationship with a sober person who knows what you are struggling with and can help guide you. When that temptation is kicking in, it would help to be able to pick up the phone and call someone you know?