Notices

week 2 - tired, anxious and foggy

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

week 2 - tired, anxious and foggy

I am two weeks in and struggling. The first week was like a constant epiphany... a week of liberation and awareness. it was exciting, motivating and a huge relief to admit many things about my life. All of that has worn off and I just see a long journey ahead of me. I feel like i cant drink another huge class of water or fruit drink or I will explode. i just feel BLAH...

I wish my evenings away, but i am not sleeping very well. i have changed many habits, but still out of sorts.

I don't really want to talk to anyone and i am losing motivation to do anything. I wish I could stay in bed all day without guilt. And on top of it all, now I am a whiner!!!!

thanks for listening
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I first got sober many years ago, AA was the only game in town. I was fortunate that it worked for me. I experienced much of what you've described. I was living alone at that time, and I often felt as though both my head and my heart would explode from all the anxiety, racing thoughts and negativity. Attending meetings as often as I could stand was my salvation. Identifying with other people and accepting help for my troubles got me through the first few weeks and months. All the "whining" I did was met with a great deal of support which eventually translated to comfort and peace of mind.

All of that craziness is now just part of my history. Whenever I have random thoughts about drinking, I quickly recall those early days and take solace in the work I did to consider myself recovered.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks endgamenyc!

I know I am not alone... Just feel terrible. Thanks for shring and your support
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank for 30 years and just now im approaching 4 months sobriety. I remember my 2nd week well. Let me tell you its normal to get depressed. But I changed my thoughts on it. Just think, you now have the opportunity to keep your life. You have stopped drinking for two weeks. Thats a gift. Dont return it. Embrace it. You and those of us that dont drink are lucky. This disease kills. Your now saving your life. Be happy about that. 90 percent dont. Its grim but its the truth. I went and bought a bicycle and rode it. I rode all over the place. Why? Because it was something other than drinking. Pick up something and run with it. With time your gonna be in a better place. Trust me.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

My experience was much the same as yours, carlyle..... I felt great after about 4 days but by the time I was 2 weeks sober, I was feeling foggy, irritable, tired, and unmotivated. I even had a few days of dropping everything, which was weird..... It got me wondering about brain damage.....

Then it got better again. I was feeling good. Then another couple bad days..... It can be a real roller coaster. The good news is that the good days get more frequent and more often and things really do resolve in time. (If not, it's always good to see a doctor)....

Hang in there - it's worth it!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Any thoughts about at what time I should consider going to the dr?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts about at what time I should consider going to the dr?
Is there ever a bad time?