Notices

Adrenaline "hangover?"

Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adrenaline "hangover?"

Hi gang, I stayed home from work "sick" today, I was so bodily and mentally tired when the alarm went off I almost couldn't even get out of bed! As I'm reacquainting myself with paying attention to my body, I'm realizing how important self-care is.

This weekend was stress-filled for me. I got word on Thursday that I would be the speaker at a treatment center meeting on Saturday night. My first time speaking ever. I also had a funeral that day. I barely had time to write the speech out let alone practice it. I was so nervous I was almost sick on myself. It went well, though, and I felt like a rock star once it was over.

Then Sunday was, of course, Father's Day. A mixed day for me, always. I spent the whole day with my family: alcoholic mother drinking wine out of her to-go coffee cup and slurring her wine-soaked words in my face, my sister, niece and nephew with their own dysfunction/constant interrupting-yelling-guffawing, and lastly my sweet stepdad, who went to breakfast at a scuzzy bar to please my mom, and who just wanted to have an enjoyable day.

My stepdad took a little stand with my mom, he suggested we all go ziplining! He didn't let my mom's whining and complaining stop him and everybody except her went and had a blast. She stayed at the zip tours office drinking her wine. It was SUPER-FUN for the rest of us!!!

But today I woke up almost feeling hungover, incredibly tired, dehydrated, achy. Where before I would've ignored these feelings and suffered through the day, (and probably been grumpy to everyone in the process!) now recovery is teaching me to take care of myself.

I called in sick to work, slept an extra hour, and then had to throw away the mental list I immediately formed of all the chores I could get done now that I'm home an extra day. Instead of chores, I'm going to post on SR, which I haven't done in too long. I'm going to read. I'm going to rest and recuperate. Instead of calling myself a wimp, I'm going to realize I probably just put out a little too much adrenaline in one weekend, coupled with family stress, and now I need a day to rest.

I'm grateful for recovery teaching me how to take care of myself, and I hope this post can help a newcomer to recognize when it's time to just power-down and take care of yourself, guilt-free.