Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What is your single biggest motivator in staying sober ?

Notices

What is your single biggest motivator in staying sober ?

Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I no longer have a problem with alcohol. The problem has been removed. It does not exist for me. I have been placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected. I lost the power of choice in drink and now I don't have to choose - that debate is closed. I cannot drink and that's all there is to it.

In the same way I cannot fly. I don't wake up each morning and make a choice not to fly. If you found me at the edge of a cliff thinking I had a choice of whether to fly or not, you might well question my sanity. Actually, I could probably fly alright, it's the landing that would be problematic!
This is brilliant and sums up where I am coming from!

W
Old 06-15-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
now's the time

It's changed and evolved over the course of my (young) sobriety. Right now I'd say: honesty.

It strikes me that I wasn't confronting the world on its own terms, before. I wasn't living my life or experiencing my mind fully. I was avoiding reality, which I knew, but now that I have a few months of seeing the difference, I've been feeling that the way I was living was dishonest, in a certain sense. Not just in the sense that I was hiding my drinking. Also in the sense that I was always trying to find a shortcut through life. I was trying to achieve strength, courage, and lack of attachment without actually earning those qualities. I was trying to cheat, basically.

These days I feel it's really, really important to me that I become the person I want to be through honest means. I've chosen a somewhat unconventional path for my life so far, and I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and know that it's because I'm brave, not because I've drowned my fear. And when I make mistakes, I want to own them, not have the convenient scapegoat of an addiction.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My sanity.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Friday night is messing with my head.

Need a few "Reasons to Stay the Course " boost from those in the know.

With gratitude...
What isnt my motivator? That would be an easier list, lol. For me, its all I have gained in my sober life. I found myself again, my confidence, and I feel my possibilities are now endless. Alcohol put so many limits on who I was, my personal growth, my relationships, everything. For me, Alcohol brought me down and kept me there, in every way a person can be held down. I was in my own personal prison, and what was worse was that I created it and allowed it to happen. When in the throws of alcoholism, you may not even realize just how much alcohol has inhibited you as a human being. I know you may not see all the benefits at the beginning of your sobriety, but they will come. The trick is to gain as much as you can in sobriety. Step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself. GROW!!! Face your fears, sort through your thoughts and feelings and learn to process them in a healthy way. Then one day, out of the blue, you will realize you are free.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Gratitude I got a second, third, fiftieth chance.
God's grace.
Realizing I could have killed someone, nearly killed myself.
While sober life isn't easy, for me it is so much better than the life I was living under the control of alcohol.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I lost the power of choice in drink and now I don't have to choose - that debate is closed. I cannot drink and that's all there is to it....

In the same way I cannot fly. I don't wake up each morning and make a choice not to fly.
I have been thinking about this post from Gottalife over the past day or two. It makes so much sense to me!

Drinking is simply not a matter of choice for me. I can no more drink than I can fly. Neither is possible and therefore it not worth even entertaining the thought....

I had not heard it put exactly this way before, but somehow it strikes me as a key insight. Thanks to Gottalife for posting it.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My biggest motivator is that my HP has a greater plan for me then what I had for myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Becoming the greatest accountant, ever!

Honestly though, I'll be just fine settling with finishing college (and this summer semester for that matter).

In all seriousness I don't think it's just one particular huge thing that keeps me sober. It's relationships, keeping a clear head, goals I'm fulfilling, and physical health are all reasons.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Active addiction took so much time, effort, money and health, that it that nothing was left for any of the things I wanted in life. I don't want to be that pathetic gross loser wasting my life and feeling crappy and broke all the time because of it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I really like this question! I think about this almost everyday and especially when I start to get down on myself.

My single biggest motivator for staying sober is...not being hungover.

Sounds simple, but it has gotten me this far in my sobriety and I'm NOT going back to where I used to be.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Lately soberiety has been very good and easy, mainly because I have totally changed the way I look at this drug. Masses of sheep drink because they feel they have to drink to enjoy anything, my motivation is that I am free from all this brainwashing and conditioning and do not want to be like the sheep masses that drink. Sober is cool. I know I am never going back ever also makes things easier .
Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
My sanity.
+ 1 ...

Plus I'm a Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde drunk myself ... turn into a totally different person. I am tired of acting like that ... it's a good personal motivation.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Knowing that my grandson will never see me drunk

Gottalife, totally agree! what you wrote sums me up too! I find it extremely liberating. No longer do I have to consider how much alcohol I will be able to consume when planning a day/night out or trip away. I feel sorry and a bit sad for old me.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think I deserve a better life than I had when I was an active alcoholic. I didn't think so then, but as I become a better (and sober) person, I'm beginning to think more and more that I deserve a chance at a good life.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

When I was drinking, I was waiting to die. That's the honest truth and I wasn't a daily drinker. I was a bad binger and I wouldn't think twice about taking meds with it. I would have died. And I absolutely loathed myself, spent all day in my head, beating myself up for everything or hating everyone else. It is so good to be free from all of that!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being sober for my dogs, to take the best care of them. When I was drinking they got slipshod care, hit or miss, and I still feel bad about that. But now I give them my all, the best of me.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My biggest motivator to get sober is the fact that two weeks ago I was drunk and tripped and if my fiance hadn't been in the right place at the right time I would have fallen on our 3 month old baby girl. I was beyond disgusted with myself. If I had killed her there is no doubt in my mind I would have taken my own life that night. I havent gotten drunk since then.. but I have continue to drink. I just space them out so I never get more than tipsy.. I know I need to stop.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

As long as I don't drink and remain spiritually fit, I no longer need to worry over what my life would be like if I were sober.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
High on Life

Staying sober is easier than getting sober!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Avoiding hangovers that feel like death. Just can't hack it anymore.