Notices

Day 6 this weekend will be hard

Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 this weekend will be hard

I'm on day 6 with no drink. We will be having a father's day celebration this weekend and there will be alcohol there. It's going to be very hard for me to not partake. Praying for strength.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You can do it Ladybug stay in close touch with SR and try to pair up with a friend or relative who does not drink. Rooting for you!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi LadyBug

Is there someone you can share your problem with and ask them to keep an eye on you? Perhaps also have some emergency exit plans for breaks if needed.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't talked to anyone other than this forum about my problem. I think my family would freak out if I told them I think I have a problem. Honestly they think it's funny I drink or they make jokes about it anyway. I'm thinking of getting some soda water and putting limes in it so they wont be making me a drink or asking questions. I need prayers to get thru this weekend.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering

Keeping you in prayer this weekend LadyBug.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey ladybug, it's good to hear you are fresh in and wanting to stay sober. I will pray for you and you will be in my thoughts this weekend.

I don't know anything about you or what you are doing to stay sober, but there is a part in the Big Book of AA that talks directly about situations such as this. You can find it online at AA.org under big book online, chapter seven, right around page 101.

What I get from it is to stay away from liquor and places where liquor is present, unless I have a legitimate reason for being there and am spiritually fit, i.e. bring God with me into the situation. And then, once I am there, try to bring something to the event with me, whether it be humor or love or something else.

I think if you try to follow what is outlined above you will be fine. Just keep your eyes and spirit on the goal of the day, to not drink and enjoy yourself as well as celebrate the day, and I think you will be fine. Also remember that God can do that which you cannot, and remove the obsession and craving for alcohol.

I said the above because I assume you have some sort of faith in a power greater then yourself, and I find that to be the cornerstone of my ability to not drink or drug or engage in behavior that would harm me or others.

I hope this helps,
Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I worry more about how people are going to react when I don't drink then when I do have a drink. Most all the adults will be drinking this weekend ... but most of them can have one or two and be done. We have a big cookout. I'm trying to plan ahead to have a way out if I need it. Thank you for your words of encouragement.