Notices

was trying to tapper

Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Congratulations. Losing the obsession to drink can go a long way in your recovery. If nothing else, it frees your mind and body to do all the good things in life that you'd like to do.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Unlike others posting I tapered down and have been sober for a few years now. There is a Harm Reduction website that explains how. I did it exactly as written and it worked for me. I wanted to stop more than I wanted to drink. If you can't taper then get to a Dr.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just a quick reply, I wanted to thank you all for your stories/advice. I'm not in the mood for sharing right now, but didn't want to ignore a thread I started either, so yeah, thanks, I've taken on board what you have all said x
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Tapering never worked for me R.

If you want to quit, I think the best way to do that is with a Dr's help and input.

D
It worked to the extent that you're still with us, Dee. It just didn't help you quit.

Given that we generally have ready access to benzos, there's probably not much need these days to taper but the fact is tapering is safer than quitting cold-turkey for the alcohol dependant (who may not necessarily even be alcoholics).

There is a constant anti-tapering bias in these forums which could easily cause someone's death, if it hasn't already. I mean how would you know?

Best solution - go to a doctor or even emergency. Worst solution - quit cold turkey when you've become alcohol dependant.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Riel View Post
It worked to the extent that you're still with us, Dee. It just didn't help you quit.

Given that we generally have ready access to benzos, there's probably not much need these days to taper but the fact is tapering is safer than quitting cold-turkey for the alcohol dependant (who may not necessarily even be alcoholics).

There is a constant anti-tapering bias in these forums which could easily cause someone's death, if it hasn't already. I mean how would you know?

Best solution - go to a doctor or even emergency. Worst solution - quit cold turkey when you've become alcohol dependant.
There's another aspect to tapering, besides the fact most of us can't taper back to nothing.

what you call an anti tapering bias Riel, I call the medical advice rule:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Cold turkey is not 100% safe.
Neither is tapering.

It's entirely possible to have all the dangers of a cold turkey detox when tapering, especially if you don't really have any idea of what you're doing.

That why it's always best to have some kind of professional medical supervision, and that's exactly why we hold this rule.

It's in everyone's well being.
I hope this puts everyone on the same page now, rule wise.

I had several mini strokes from last attempt at home detox.

I'm still here, sure...not because of my tapering or cold turkey experiments... but in spite of them.

D
Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tapering is my only method, given that actual benzos are really hard to come by in the uk, I really do recommend going to a doctor first.
But if you don't, It is a possibility to taper with self control.

This is not medical advice.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering is my only method, given that actual benzos are really hard to come by in the uk, I really do recommend going to a doctor first.
But if you don't, It is a possibility to taper with self control.

This is not medical advice.
I just finished telling people it is medical advice.
Saying 'this is not medical advice' doesn't make it so.

I really don't see how I can make myself clearer?

Dee
SR
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think seeing as the OP is not up for sharing anymore right now we'll call it quits.

If you have more thoughts and you want to re-open this anytime Room, just let me know.

D