Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Will be off from from work for the next 3 days starting to tomorrow.

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So as the title states. I will be free from work Thursday evening until I return Monday morning. I feel scared because I do not have a plan to stay sober during these days. My last detox meeting for the week in on Friday, typically my binge would have started this after noon. 18 pack minimun daily + wine or liquor. Someone please suggest something, I don want to relapse this early. I now the grill be be fired up, music will be plasting and a cold one would be more then tempting. I'm actually salivating as I write this. Feels good to express myself.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear ya. I used to wait for any opportunity to drink. Well, that turned into every day. Mornings. Noon, night.
What works well for me is to think that first drink through to the end and the misery, fear and self-loathing it'll bring.
You can do it. I wish I could say how, but that's up to you.
It requires not wanting to drink more than acting on the cravings and drink.

Best of luck to you, and if you feel like drinking it wouldn't hurt to come here and read and post. Or maybe try an AA meeting.
Many of us here are beating alcohol. You can do it, too.

Best to you.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ever since I have found SR I have pretty much been posting everyday and talking about drinking and not drinking. Has been so much helpful. Family does not drink so they cannot relate to the internal turmoil.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Don't do anything purposely that will trigger the urge to drink. No grill, no music. None. Think up some activities that you can do with you family. Sober activities that won't stir up fond drinking memories.

Foremost, remember why you are quitting and that quitting means no drinking, despite the urges. They go away. But a relapse puts you right back to square one. Do you really want to go through the initial days of quitting all over again?

Be strong. You can do this.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will learn over time that you need to think ahead. As alcoholics we are not very good at this task. However, if you do not want to relapse you will need to learn to do this. How you keep yourself busy is to stay away from people, places, and things that will trigger you. As said...no grill gatherings! Go to a meeting, go for a walk, clean your home, clean your car (clean my car...hahaha!), take pictures with your camera, paint a wall with a really small brush, wash all of your dishes by hand-dry-put away, clean out the junk drawers, file all of those papers piling up, go to the library, watch a movie, volunteer and get out of yourself (this really helps me), write in a journal......learn to do whatever it takes to not pick up a drink NO MATTER WHAT.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On Sunday it will be fathers day. No one in my family drinks so I know they will not buy beer for themselves. Usually they give me liquor/beer/wine as gifts since they know I love drinking. I have already sent notice through the grapevine that I am in recovery so no beer will be present. I guess the real issue will be the constant craving of a nice cold beer while im flipping that steak or burger on the grill. I normally would have a drink while doing this. I really gotta man up, quit acting like a little girl, grab the bull by the horn and simply accept that I will not drink and enjoy my family gathering. This will be my goal. I refuse to hide.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cruzndabay View Post
man up, quit acting like a little girl, .
Excuse me?

This little girl was once in the ER with blood alcohol level of .4.
Been sober for almost eight years.

I needed to avoid all the usual alcohol related events for a long while until I built up my resolve to stay sober.
It can be done.