Notices

And I Lost Control

Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I Lost Control

I hate to admit it but i caved into going out with said friend who didn't support my sobriety I said it would only be one drink but turned out to be three. I thought I could handle it but I can't. I would have been 7 days sober as of midnight but that's all out the window now. I can't believe I caved and gave in I'm disappointed in myself.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

False start.

It only takes seven days to get seven days again.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by pinktee18 View Post
...said friend who didn't support my sobriety
You need to figure out who your true friends are. They are those who abide by the Hippocratic Oath - "First do no harm". Any friend who tries to talk you into having a drink (knowing it will harm you) is not a true friend.

"A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a dead body".
(Click & Clack the tappet brothers)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometime, well lots of times, are friends or family that are not alcoholics just do not understand and they are not going to unless they are sober alcoholics.

A couple weeks ago I was have a mental meltdown so I called off work. My mother asked why I was home and I just told her I was not feeling well. She offered me some NyQuil. She does not get it.

If someone it s a true friend and we really want that friendship to remain I think we have to explain at least something to them. At the very least tell them we have quit drinking. If that friend still encourages us to drink or continues to invite us out to bars etc. then I think we have to re-think our friendship with them.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

pinktee18.. just pick yourself up, write it off and the next time you're tempted think of how you feel now. I think it's true.. people who are really social drinkers just don't get it. I have a friend who can have a drink a month, and maybe once a year get's a little typsie.. I have no idea how she can do that, that's not me. Once I start I have to get buzzed.. then I have to finish the bottle then then then.. I don't want that anymore.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

OK this is the situation. Now is a chance to reflect on what comes next and what you would do ifyou have those oportunities again.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had the hardest times quitting pot because my "friends" always would push it on me, and I always caved and could blame it on them. I was blind to my responsibility in my own recovery.

You need to learn to be strong, stand up for your sobriety, and not use peer pressure as an excuse to drink or use. Not easy, but it has to be done.

I ended up losing those "friends" as they weren't really friends at all.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

some of the best lessons ive learned were the hardest ones to learn.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And I Lost Control

I hate to admit it but i caved into going out with said friend who didn't support my sobriety I said it would only be one drink but turned out to be three. I thought I could handle it but I can't. I would have been 7 days sober as of midnight but that's all out the window now. I can't believe I caved and gave in I'm disappointed in myself.
PT, I was never really in control (I just felt/thought that I was) and I blamed others for my failures.

I had to give up control and take responsibility for my own actions. I was bass-ackwards on both counts....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-13-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I'm gonna start over today and my friend who made me realize things were amiss laid it out for me that if I want to get help I have to help myself and not lie about my sobriety. Time to take initiative and hang out with those who understand sobriety.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There really is no "one drink" for us...that therein is the problem.
Pick self up, dust self off...and get back at 'er. It's a lesson you learn from or one you throw away and keep drinking.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Time to find some new people to hang out with.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's nice to have friends who support our recovery - but if we don't support it ourselves, it's not really fair to blame others, pinktee.

Like others have said, it might be time to think about some lifestyle changes?

D
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's nice to have friends who support our recovery - but if we don't support it ourselves, it's not really fair to blame others, pinktee.

Like others have said, it might be time to think about some lifestyle changes?

D
I'm not blaming anyone but myself for caving into pressure because we all have that one friend who is very persuasive no matter what the situation is. I have decided to turn my sober journey into a challenge I have created a blog called 100 days 100 ways and I have compiled a list of 100 things to do sober to take the place of drinking. For each day I will complete one of the things on my list and blog about it until I reach 100. Some say it's a huge reach, but I'm going for it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep it simple.

One day at a time...
Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm not blaming anyone but myself for caving into pressure because we all have that one friend who is very persuasive no matter what the situation is.
When I first got sober, I immediately realized that all my friends were people who drank and used drugs like I did. None of them ever suggested that I drink, offered me a drink or asked me why I stopped. But then, I quickly learned that it wasn't a good thing for me to spend much time with them. Not because they were bad people or a bad influence (they were neither), but because our common bond was alcohol and drugs, and the things we did when we drank and got high.

It was a long and somewhat painful process for me to connect with people I met in AA during my early recovery, but well worth the time and trouble.