Notices

anyone else experience this

Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone else experience this

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and it is like I have a hangover. I haven't been drinking at all just working the AA program the best I can. My sponsor says this could mean my body is tired emotionally and physically from doing too much. This is so strange.

According to my sponsor I have changed a lot for the better through working the steps. I didn't even notice it till she pointed it out.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Oh my goodness, yes!!!!! Last Monday my head was in an absolute fog and my whole body was sluggish and sooo heavy. I was very busy the previous Saturday, slowed down on Sunday and then Monday felt like I walked into a wall.

Feeling better now, but definitely chalked it up to being an ugly case of "PAWS Monday". Sigh, such is life of a recovering addict. The good news is it wasn't a real hangover
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yea i had that happen to me a few times. i was concerned also, but they went away after a while.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The other day I had a dream that I was drinking and drunk and then I woke up with a hangover and started drinking. Then I really woke up and with relief realized I had been having a dream within a dream like in that movie Inception. I still had a headache, felt tired and dry though.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been waking up dehydrated. I think that when I stopped drinking alcohol I started drinking far less water as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get those days. I work too hard and I get run down. I get dehydrated. Water really is good.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I don't know how long you've been sober, but I just checked, and it's 3,882 days for me, and I woke up this morning with a whopper of a headache, like I drank a quart of vodka last night. Stomach was queasy and everything.

But I didn't. I have some allergies, and after blowing my nose, letting a couple of Tylenol and a cup of coffee kick in, doing some breathing exercises and saying my prayers, the headache eased. Toast settled my stomach.

In other words, it may be just life, or something else. It could be, as well, your body healing and kicking out the poisons. I didn't wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for some months after getting sober. Eventually, though, clear-headedness (after the first cup of coffee? still have my Columbian roast habit...) became the rule rather than the exception.

Have you seen a doctor? Could be you have problems other than alcohol, or medical consequences from alcohol. We do a number on our bodies as well as our minds & spirits when we drink.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i get that every once in awhile and i think BOY i cant believe i felt like this ALL the time.
Sometimes its when i dont wake up naturally, i get up with a jolt and get going.
it is my reminder to sit on the edge of the bed and say my prayer
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes. I experienced that, and still do at times. For me (and many I think) it has to do with sugar and carbs. Strange as it might sound, if I have 3 slices of pizza at night, next morning and for most of the day, I feel like absolute crap.

When I was drinking it didn't matter what I ate because I really only had 2 states of being. Drunk, or hung over, and I didn't feel much past either of those. When I got sober I started to become more sensitive to how other things affected me. After a pretty heavy duty bout with anxiety in sobriety I learned about the effects of processed sugar, and then later on, simple carbs in general.

I studied to be a counselor about 20 years ago also, and in our pharmacology class we learned about alcoholics and blood sugar. We were taught that 85% of alcoholics have some sort of issues processing sugar, and most are hypoglycemic but don't know it as it isn't always easy to diagnose. I researched it back then (remember researching things before the internet??? ), and found it to be true. Just did a quick search and immediately came up with a few things, I'll cut and past the simplest of what came up. From Dr. Lawrence Wilson:
HYPOGLYCEMIA AND ALCOHOL

Hypoglycemia is the most common biochemical imbalance in alcoholism. This is often also true for other addictions as well. Hypoglycemia literally means low blood sugar. However, it may also refer to low cellular energy production from a variety of causes. These are very important but beyond the scope of this article. Click here for an article on hypoglycemia.

Blood sugar testing. Over 70% of Americans have abnormal glucose tolerance tests. However, among alcoholics the percentage is between 85-95%. Dr. Larson notes in her excellent book about alcoholism that many doctors still do not want to bother with a five or six-hour glucose tolerance test to detect hypoglycemia. Also, some doctors do not interpret the test correctly, thus missing the problem. Dr. Robert Atkins, MD, former director of the Atkins Center in New York City, found that 75% of his patients had abnormal glucose tolerance tests, especially if insulin is measured along with glucose. He found that for accurate results, one must measure insulin along with glucose.

Symptoms of hypoglycemia are often an adequate guide to identifying hypoglycemia, even without a glucose tolerance test. Many of the tests are just not accurate enough as the interpretation is complex in some cases.
Among the common symptoms are irritability before meals that improves upon eating. Other common ones include having reactions to eating sugars or carbohydrates, and cravings for sugars, starches or alcohol. Other common symptoms include periods of nervousness, irritability, exhaustion, dizziness, tremors, faintness, cold sweats, headaches, forgetfulness, insomnia, anxiety, confusion, and heart palpitations. These generally occur several hours after eating, or soon after eating a sugary snack.
Sugar is a big problem for lots of addicted people, as most people are addicted to it anyhow. For me I found it to be incredibly dangerous to my sobriety, happiness, and peace of mind. I cut it out completely for a long while, now I'm a little more laid back about it, but I'm quite certain there isn't a single product in my house that contains any kind of processed sugar. And I have lots and lots of food in my house.

Ya might want to look into it. I'd also recommend a cheap paperback called sugar blues. Some mind boggling and potentially life changing information in that book.