Notices

Night Terrors

Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night Terrors

So, I have decided to finally face my alcoholism and quit. I have had a couple of short periods where I have dried out in the past and luckily, minus the intense cravings, didn't suffer too many withdrawal symptoms. This time though I am having some serious nightmares and night tremors. Has anyone else ever suffered from these while going thru withdrawals? They ate bad enough I am thinking about having a very small amount of alcohol in the evening, something I really don't care for like wine, to help ease them but that really doesn't sound like a very good idea either. I'm on 2 days clean right now. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

More alcohol will not help. You already know that.

The first time I quit I had sleep paralysis. That is some scary stuff. It was one reason, among many, that I did not try to get sober again. I was very scared of that happening again.

It hasn't but my fear was very real.

This is another withdrawal symptom that you have to deal with. If they continue I would suggest seeing a doctor.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sleep paralysis, I had never heard of that before so I looked it up. That is exactly what happened. I was dreaming there was an intruder in the room and I couldn't sit up or roll over to see who it was. It was like I was completely awake but just to exhausted to move. It seemed like it lasted forever. That's some crazy stuff. I have some ambien, perhaps I will try that tonight. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is is kind of crazy. When it happened it was so weird. I was waking up but at first I felt like my muscles or joints were stiff then I realized I could not move. It did seem to last a long time but I am sure it was only ten seconds or so but that was a scary ten seconds.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are already over the hill, more drink WILL put you back in the rabbit hole, one drink will lead to more thoughts of more drinks and you know the rest. Tough it out, it was a bad dream, dont make the nightmare last for longer than it needs to. You stopped, stay stopped and in one or two days more, we will both clear. On day 2/3 myself. Had a similar though last night. Lucky, I had a bath, went to a meeting, came home and went to sleep. Tossed and turned all night, hot and cold sweats, more drink would have given more symptoms I am sure. Good luck, stay sensible and strong.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I knew it was a bad idea before I even typed it. I have been lucky so far, no problems going to sleep, no night sweats, no shakes, headaches or restless legs. I can't believe it cause I was a very heavy drinker, a pint of whiskey a day on the weekdays everyday and almost a fifth a day on the weekends. This went on for many years. I'd always wake up with a hangover but that Monday morning hangover from the weekend binge was a killer. Yet I would do it again and again.

I've only had a few mornings sober now and it is amazing how much better I feel. Even with the bad dreams last night I feel way more rested than any morning after drinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had night terrors for years, even before I quit drinking. There are a couple things I do to help them. I mean I still get them from time to time.

I don't sleep on my back, they only happen when I'm on my back, so I try to fall asleep on my side.

If I'm aware enough to know whats going on, like the paralysis I think to myself
"Into your hands I command my soul Lord." and dive RIGHT back into it. I let myself go and drift right into it. When I don't fight it, it's magical.

Also if my wife hears me making noises or trying to scream she gently shakes me awake saying "come back to me dear, come back to me."

I hope these suggestions help you.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I get that. It first started in my teens. It has lessened in severity. It has something to do with not progressing through the sleep cycles properly. It stimulates the fear center of the brain. Just finally knowing what it was is such a huge relief. My daughter started to get it with the hallucinations upon falling asleep. Whenever it starts happening now I hear the word purple. That is my cue to what is really happening. Then I have an awesome lucid dream. Usually I will crawl along the ceilings until I am outside then just float around for awhile. Floating seems to be a theme and I just go with it. Hard to do though if you stay gripped in the fear part of it though. Sometimes I keep thinking I have really come out of it when I haven't then I can't control it at all.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It was definatley crazy, all I could think there was someone in my room that I knew was there to cause me harm. All I could think is I need to get up, see who it is and get to my gun but I couldn't move as they kept getting closer. Freaked me out, funny I remember feeling and hearing the fan running also and that is what made me it so real.

Sorry to all of those dealing with that for years, pretty creepy stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by joe8526 View Post
It was definatley crazy, all I could think there was someone in my room that I knew was there to cause me harm. All I could think is I need to get up, see who it is and get to my gun but I couldn't move as they kept getting closer. Freaked me out, funny I remember feeling and hearing the fan running also and that is what made me it so real.

Sorry to all of those dealing with that for years, pretty creepy stuff.
Your lucky the "evil presence" didn't get into bed with you. I could always feel it depress the bed right beside me. My daughter's "monster" would get on top of her. Now that I know what it is the "evil thing" sometimes doesn't even bother showing up anymore. That fan you heard was your inner ear vibrating. Some people hear noise I feel like I have current running through my brain. You couldn't move because your brain had already released that chemical that keeps you from acting out dreams. It wasn't real, but your brain thinks it is because you are completely alert. I was all over the internet trying to find something to help for her. Nothing really for it. Just try not to be afraid as it passes.